• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Senate, House Agree to Sixfold Boost in Airline Pilots' Flight Experience

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Only to say that being an airline pilot is a good part-time job...like being a firefighter is a good part-time job.

I guess there really is no comparison though: benefits, job security and schedule/QOL at the fire dept. are undoubtedly FAR better than at an airline...

My only point is that the airline job sucks a lot less when I look at it as a part-time, 'supplementary' job than as a 'all my eggs in this basket' job.

Then again, I haven't ever had a really busy airline schedule...I expect I have a whole new perspective waiting for me when I go back to work.

Fire Firghters? Not in this economy.

http://www.davisvanguard.org/index....ut-does-not-order-chiang-to-pay-it&Itemid=109

In the words of Ronald Regan, "there you go again". You remember, maybe, you were in adult diapers back then. Ok enough with the insults, maybe...

Cookie cutter simplified economics is about is cold and undone as well cookie dough. I'd sure like you explain the opportunity costs, or in this case expenses, of the Colgan crash, and having many a pissed off and sad families demanding congress make a new law to ensure aviation safety let alone the obvious incalculable loss of life with such accident. Where does that fit into your market analysis? Sorry to say this, but something tells me you failed life economics if you're working into your 70s.
Hey! long time no insult, I thought maybe you did not care anymore. Only working cause I like to, nice to have the option. As per above who wants to be first to sacrifice for benefit of someone else. BTW Got an A on Grad Econ course.

Hey! long time no insult, I thought maybe you did not care anymore. Only working cause I like to, nice to have the option. As per above who wants to be first to sacrifice for benefit of someone else. BTW Got an A on Grad Econ course.

Working just cause you like to, A on Grad Econ; you're believability is less than your deadly ethical scale and that's saying a lot.

Working just cause you like to, A on Grad Econ; you're believability is less than your deadly ethical scale and that's saying a lot.
Sure get fly airplanes, airshows, CFIing, own 6 cars all paid for, 5 houses two paid for, an airplane, steady retirment income. Life could not be better. All this never had a job that paid more than $100K. Can't wait to get up every day to see what new adventure is out there waitign to be experienced, life is good, how about you?

I see what you mean, but I definitely don't view an airline gig as a part time job. What airline doesn't keep its pilots busy?

I worked at ASA for a year before my furlough.

I was averaging 2 naps a month on reserve. I literally only drove to the airport 2x a month.

I understand it's not like that anymore.

As a lineholder, my strategy will be to give away as many trips as I can to get down to a comfortable 2 weeks on/2 weeks off schedule. Hoping PBS and our schedules moving into the future can support that.

Sure get fly airplanes, airshows, CFIing, own 6 cars all paid for, 5 houses two paid for, an airplane, steady retirment income. Life could not be better. All this never had a job that paid more than $100K. Can't wait to get up every day to see what new adventure is out there waitign to be experienced, life is good, how about you?

Considering how much time you spend dicking around with FlightInfo, I'd say your life probably sucks.

When is General Lee gonna show up and eat his humble pie?

That post was masterful - it's like watching the alpha lion discipline an unruly cub - no real violence, just a nice little swat to remind the relative newbie to mind his manners.

All I can say is that it is very, very, very fortunate for the General that he works for Delta. How else could he define himself?

Your bitter response probably just made his day.

You're probably right, but on the other hand there's the infamous story of Tim from ALPA. You know the guy on the magazine cover who told the world he was an F-16 pilot, NY Fire Fighter, the works and the story folded.

I think Tim and PilotYip would make the best of friends. Six cars, seven houses. For anyone who hasn't received the grand master of fear, loathing, and lower expectations, here's a copy of the uninvited to my Private Message in the past among other messages:

Total Time: 12001

Not to bore you but,
Not to bore you with info overload, but this is why I would keep this private. I have been blasted as being a looser because I work in management at YIP in the on-demand cargo business. I am management by default and unemployment at age 53. I like where I am and what I do, and the positive changes I have made at my airline. But since I am not a major pilot, I am not a real pilot. There is bias on this board that only pilots with college degrees, working for a union carrier making $200K per year are real pilots. I know many pilots who I consider successful, who meet none of those requirements. I have a BS Mich. State Univ. 66, MA Cent Mich. U 82, retired Navy Captain, Squadron CO. I turned 65 last year. When I left the Navy in 1977, I was 33 and had about 2,500 hours, 700 of which came in 6 months flying around Vietnam. Most of my flight time is multi engine turbine PIC in a 100K + P-3, an ATP with an L-188 type. So after being in the Navy 11 years, I average less than 250 hr per year, typical military flt time. The majors told me my age and hours were out of ratio, back then being over 30 and getting a major interview was difficult. So I went to the largest 121 supplemental in the country an ALPA carrier Transamerica DC-8's, DC-10's B-747's and two years later they are selling airplanes and I am going backward in seniority was that beyond my control? Did it have anything to do with my skill or desire? I take a job as a pilot with Fortune 500 auto parts makers with a history of no lay offs, 3 years later they lay off half their pilots. The early 80's were a bad time for getting aviation jobs. So I start my own business, now hiring starts again I am 42, who gets hired, the 35 year-old guys in reserve P-3 unit, less flight time. By the time my age is again attractive, I have been promoted out of the Naval Reserve flying and the airlines tell me I am not current in big airplanes. So I go to a work for a commuter, it goes out of business. Now it is 1991, no job again, is that in my control. So I go to another Corp job, in North Carolina, in 1996 they sell their airplane. In the fall of 1996, I get on with Zantop at Willow Run as an L-188 Captain; they have been in business forever. It is a place I can plan on retiring from. 6 months later they go out of business to get rid of the Teamster’s Union. I get hired by USA Jet as ground school instructor, become Director of Training and finally DA-20 Standards. I have had 11 jobs, 7 flying and 4 non-flying. I must be a decent pilot, I have had no trouble in anything I checked out in, from the and the Navy does not make me squadron check airman if I don't have at least average Navy flying skills. Looking back I missed opportunities, made wrong choices, like should I have crossed the picket line at CAL in 1984. They hired P-3 guys from my reserve unit, My ALPA union buddies in my squadron said if I did that I would be labeled as a SCAB and end up my career flying for some non-sked at YIP. The guys who crossed the line have been Captains forever, good company, good money, and I am working for some non-sked at YIP. Were those circumstances beyond my control, I don't know? I moved on. I have many my friends from the Navy who also never made it. Eastern, Pam Am, Braniff, etc. Those who get the $100 K retirement are lucky. I have made a great number of friends in this business and we still stay in touch. It was never about lifestyle; it was about being there in flight. I have never made "big money"; in fact I have never made good regional Capt.'s pay as a pilot. So I think $100K/yr is a good salary. Yea I would have liked to make more, but no complaints, I have been real lucky and it has been an adventure and I would do it all over again, particularly the military flying. I wanted to fly from the first time in 1947, I saw a P-51 Mustang buzz the National Guard Armory. I built the models, took flight lessons and pursued getting a slot in the military from my first day of college. Joined the Navy, in 1965, flew all over the world, did neat things, landed on boats, flew in Vietnam. Married a great gal who supported me, raised the family, put up with deployments, unemployment, and moves every 3 years and never threatened to bail out. She can pack up a household in one day to move to the next job. We are all hostages to fortune (thank you E Gann), and do not have the control over our lives we would like to think we do. The guys who make it to the FedEx, SWA level are very fortunate to be where they are, and there is an element of luck and timing that has nothing to do with their skill or desire.

This guy is no doubt spending his life now trying to take down the profession, so let me ask you, who is bitter? What are his true motives?

google it,

You're probably right, but on the other hand there's the infamous story of Tim from ALPA. You know the guy on the magazine cover who told the world he was an F-16 pilot, NY Fire Fighter, the works and the story folded.

I think Tim and PilotYip would make the best of friends. Six cars, seven houses. For anyone who hasn't received the grand master of fear, loathing, and lower expectations, here's a copy of the uninvited to my Private Message in the past among other messages:

Total Time: 12001

Not to bore you but,
Not to bore you with info overload, but this is why I would keep this private. I have been blasted as being a looser because I work in management at YIP in the on-demand cargo business. I am management by default and unemployment at age 53. I like where I am and what I do, and the positive changes I have made at my airline. But since I am not a major pilot, I am not a real pilot. There is bias on this board that only pilots with college degrees, working for a union carrier making $200K per year are real pilots. I know many pilots who I consider successful, who meet none of those requirements. I have a BS Mich. State Univ. 66, MA Cent Mich. U 82, retired Navy Captain, Squadron CO. I turned 65 last year. When I left the Navy in 1977, I was 33 and had about 2,500 hours, 700 of which came in 6 months flying around Vietnam. Most of my flight time is multi engine turbine PIC in a 100K + P-3, an ATP with an L-188 type. So after being in the Navy 11 years, I average less than 250 hr per year, typical military flt time. The majors told me my age and hours were out of ratio, back then being over 30 and getting a major interview was difficult. So I went to the largest 121 supplemental in the country an ALPA carrier Transamerica DC-8's, DC-10's B-747's and two years later they are selling airplanes and I am going backward in seniority was that beyond my control? Did it have anything to do with my skill or desire? I take a job as a pilot with Fortune 500 auto parts makers with a history of no lay offs, 3 years later they lay off half their pilots. The early 80's were a bad time for getting aviation jobs. So I start my own business, now hiring starts again I am 42, who gets hired, the 35 year-old guys in reserve P-3 unit, less flight time. By the time my age is again attractive, I have been promoted out of the Naval Reserve flying and the airlines tell me I am not current in big airplanes. So I go to a work for a commuter, it goes out of business. Now it is 1991, no job again, is that in my control. So I go to another Corp job, in North Carolina, in 1996 they sell their airplane. In the fall of 1996, I get on with Zantop at Willow Run as an L-188 Captain; they have been in business forever. It is a place I can plan on retiring from. 6 months later they go out of business to get rid of the Teamster’s Union. I get hired by USA Jet as ground school instructor, become Director of Training and finally DA-20 Standards. I have had 11 jobs, 7 flying and 4 non-flying. I must be a decent pilot, I have had no trouble in anything I checked out in, from the and the Navy does not make me squadron check airman if I don't have at least average Navy flying skills. Looking back I missed opportunities, made wrong choices, like should I have crossed the picket line at CAL in 1984. They hired P-3 guys from my reserve unit, My ALPA union buddies in my squadron said if I did that I would be labeled as a SCAB and end up my career flying for some non-sked at YIP. The guys who crossed the line have been Captains forever, good company, good money, and I am working for some non-sked at YIP. Were those circumstances beyond my control, I don't know? I moved on. I have many my friends from the Navy who also never made it. Eastern, Pam Am, Braniff, etc. Those who get the $100 K retirement are lucky. I have made a great number of friends in this business and we still stay in touch. It was never about lifestyle; it was about being there in flight. I have never made "big money"; in fact I have never made good regional Capt.'s pay as a pilot. So I think $100K/yr is a good salary. Yea I would have liked to make more, but no complaints, I have been real lucky and it has been an adventure and I would do it all over again, particularly the military flying. I wanted to fly from the first time in 1947, I saw a P-51 Mustang buzz the National Guard Armory. I built the models, took flight lessons and pursued getting a slot in the military from my first day of college. Joined the Navy, in 1965, flew all over the world, did neat things, landed on boats, flew in Vietnam. Married a great gal who supported me, raised the family, put up with deployments, unemployment, and moves every 3 years and never threatened to bail out. She can pack up a household in one day to move to the next job. We are all hostages to fortune (thank you E Gann), and do not have the control over our lives we would like to think we do. The guys who make it to the FedEx, SWA level are very fortunate to be where they are, and there is an element of luck and timing that has nothing to do with their skill or desire.

This guy is no doubt spending his life now trying to take down the profession, so let me ask you, who is bitter? What are his true motives?
Wow you saved it, I must be special, This has been sent to around 300-400 FI'ers, so it is not big news to many. Come to think of it you are about the only one who got weird about it. I guess it has to do with me liking to fly, hang around airports, teach people to fly, never turn down a flight in a war bird. I guess that doesn’t fit into your definition of the profession. I do not pretend to hide behind a screen name, plus I now have over 13,000 hours.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back