• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SeaWorld, Southwest Airlines Ending Partnership

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Most of their marquee acts were herded and captured and in no risk of dying. A rescued pelican is not driving SeaWorld profits.

I think you may be missing Dan's point-- Seaworld's "marquee" acts, of which Shamu is just one, allows them the funds to do their other, more altruistic acts that people don't have any interest in watching, let alone paying to watch. Like rescuing and protecting sea animals, and raising awareness and promoting protection and stewardship of the sea itself.

In a larger sense, I think you (and some of the more left on the board) are also missing one of the points of capitalism itself-- if you legislate away (or "politically-corect" to death) Seaworld's "marquee" acts, then the company doesn't survive. And then what? All their actual important work involving sea life doesn't get done. Either that, or now the government will have to take care of it. You know, because the government has so much spare money lying around and all.

Bubba

Ok Bubba,

Nobody is legislating anything. Consumers and sponsors (Southwest...smartly) will decide with their wallets and do business elsewhere if they disagree with the practices of a corporation. It's happening and all you want to do is turn this into a left/right thing.

I bet in your eyes, the liberal media is harassing SeaWorld by filmed the herding of those whales and slaughter of the pods....I mean corporations have a religion and can contribute to political campaigns in the eyes of the right so SeaWorld is being wrongfully discriminated against.....I follow you....not really

Ok Bubba,

Nobody is legislating anything. Consumers and sponsors (Southwest...smartly) will decide with their wallets and do business elsewhere if they disagree with the practices of a corporation. It's happening and all you want to do is turn this into a left/right thing.

Your statement shows you've not been following the OSHA v Seaworld case very closely. Not saying that OSHA doesn't have a valid case, but it is government intrusion into how Seaworld runs its business.

The government has a place to protect workers from soulless corporations that would place them in harm's way just to make a buck.

As far as rescuing pelicans and other such nonsense, Seaworld does that only as an attempt to rehab their atrocious image problems. They don't get a gold star for rescuing a pelican after torturing whales and dolphins for decades.

Your statement shows you've not been following the OSHA v Seaworld case very closely. Not saying that OSHA doesn't have a valid case, but it is government intrusion into how Seaworld runs its business.

OSHA is protecting the worker, not the captured animals. Or was that the Trainer's fault the KILLER whale took her limbs off?
Next argument please....

Ok Bubba,

I bet in your eyes, the liberal media is harassing SeaWorld by filmed the herding of those whales and slaughter of the pods....I mean corporations have a religion and can contribute to political campaigns in the eyes of the right so SeaWorld is being wrongfully discriminated against.....I follow you....not really

Well now you're missing my point, Bill.

I said legislate or politically-correct to death, the latter of which is the case here. And the only "left/right" thing is that typically it's the left wielding political correctness as a weapon against corporations.

In the real world, there's hardly ever any black and white like you make it seem to think there is. Seaworld does a hell of a lot of good for wildlife and the sea environment, and pays for it with their parks and shows. And they put on shows that the public want and are willing to pay to see. Take that away, or scare the people away with one-sided documentaries, and Seaworld and all their good deeds go away.

But, hey, you're always telling me what a right-wing zealot I am. So that means that I personally don't give a sh!t-- my kids are old enough to not care about Seaworld--so go ahead and shut them down. And obviously, I also must not care about wildlife or the sea, so why would I care if they don't do any of that good stuff anymore? Hell, we'll just have the government take over that stuff as well. What do you think, Bill?-- another new tax to pay for it?

Bubba

OSHA is protecting the worker, not the captured animals. Or was that the Trainer's fault the KILLER whale took her limbs off?

I simply pointed out that the poster was incorrect about this all being market forces at work. Don't try to make more of it.

As far as soulless corporation (yes, I know, not your comment) I know a lot of workers at Seaworld who are making a very comfortable midle class living off that company. Living here in San Diego I see the good that Seaworld does that doesn't make it past the local media and d@mn sure isn't considered by the free willy crowd.

Nope, just more important things to do than attempt to change the mind of an ideologue
You can just be you and view things how you will

Btw- sea world made $459 million last year, so....I'm pretty sure there's good money as a motivator too

Latest resources

Back