• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Scumbag cargo company Hall of Shame

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
T'would be good if the UPS Pilots and/or their union stood up for the feeder pilots.

It would be good if they (The feeder pilots at Ameriflight, Skyway, etc) would start by standing up for themselves and voting in a union. I am sure the IPA would assist/support such an effort.

Now wait a minute. I think nominations should be justified with some specifics such as, but no limited to:

1. Crewmember attrition
2. Quality of training
3. Scheduling
4. Maintenance, quality of aircraft, cleanliness
5. Pay problems (slow pay, no pay, etc)
6. Trustworthiness and ethics of company leadership and supervisors, response of DO to operational problems, recognition of Captain's authority, etc.
7. General quality of crew force (alcoholics, marginal pilots, willingness of chief pilot/DO to enforce standards, etc)
8. Commuting (quantity/quality of jumpseat agreements, etc)
9. Dispatch/Flight Following competence and support
10. General morale among crew force
11. Quality of ACMI contracts (if applicable)

I'm sure you can think of many more criteria.

[Deleted] Had second thoughts about posting the truth.

Last edited:
Phx flyer we are a way point in a career, we know that, it is the nature of our business, wear a pager, 20 minute call out, no schedule except hard days off. Who would want to make this a career? We make no claim as the world's greatest job. We expect turnover, we plan for turnover, we tell new hires we expect them to have the ability to go someplace like Spirit, NetJets, AirTran after five years, we are proud of guys who leave and succeed at their next job. We have a reputation of producing good pilots. I go to bed a night content that I have given a pilot a chance to develop their skills in a quality training environment and develop to move into a career position after USA Jet. For those who can not move due to age, etc. it not a bad place to finish up.

You try to justify this by saying that your company is just a stop along the way in a pilots career path. Maybe so. But the same could be said about Fed Ex when they were operating Falcon freighters years ago just like you are today. Difference is Ol'Fred Smith decided to make his company a place where a pilot would want to hang his hat. What about you? What do you want to make out of your company?
Just to be fair to pilotip; In the early days, FedEx tried to be a place where a pilot could "hang his hat." The fact is, most didn't. Most were ex-military, and flying for "Fred" only while they awaited call-ups from the Majors. There was no "honor" in flying for FedEx. In fact, there was no "honor" in flying boxes, period, unless you were doing it for Flying Tigers or (possibly) Seaboard or Trans-International.

Another thing to keep in mind...most early-hires at FedEx paid for their own Falcon type-ratings using the G.I. bill. That's a fact that's often overlooked when people start to canonize Fred Smith and his early dealings with pilots. Were they to do it now, they'd be roundly criticized for running a "PFT" operation. But that's how it was back in FedEx's "good old days."

There are around 100,000 pilots employed in commercial aviation in this country, and on any given day, about 80% of them wish they were working for somebody else. Pilotyip is being very candid...and refreshingly so...about where his company stands in the "food chain." When comparing potential employers, it would do each of us well to know where we stand in that food chain as well.

Latest resources

Back