Scott Crossfield's C210 missing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeager wasn't the first.

George Welch (another civilian test pilot) was the first man to break the sound barrier.

Judge the evidence for yourself:

http://home.att.net/~historyzone/Welch2.html

At the end of the article, the author gives an address you can write to give George Welch his due. I would ask that everyone do so. Maybe an unjustice that's been covered over for almost sixty years can be corrected.

Yeager wasn't the first

George Welch (another civilian test pilot) was the first man to break the sound barrier.

Judge the evidence for yourself:

http://home.att.net/~historyzone/Welch2.html

At the end of the article, the author gives an address you can write to give George Welch his due. I would ask that everyone do so. Maybe an unjustice that's been covered over for almost sixty years can be corrected.

AngelKing said:
I'm sure avbug will butt-in and tell his tales of breaking the sound barrier.

A lot of us wish he would. He hasn't been here in quite some time.

Crossfield was a true gentleman, here are two quotes from an article. There's a difference between what he says and that other pilot of note.

"We keep talking about test pilots, but there is no such thing as a 'test pilot,"' Crossfield said in a 1988 interview with Aviation Week & Space Technology. "They are all just people who incidentally do flight tests. ... We should divest ourselves of this idea of special people (being) heroes, if you please, because really they do not exist."

"I am an aeronautical engineer, an aerodynamicist and a designer," he told Aviation Week & Space Technology. "My flying was only primarily because I felt that it was essential to designing and building better airplanes for pilots to fly."

Compared with....

Yeager, reached at his home in California, said he was "sure sorry to hear" about Crossfield's death, but he wondered whether the pilot's penchant for taking risks might have been his undoing. During their days as test pilots, he said Crossfield "being a civilian, had a lot more freedom than we did, as military guys. Sometimes he exceeded his capability and got in trouble."
Asked for an example, the 83-year-old Yeager said: "Flying in weather that he should have never been in."

Which guy would you more care to emulate?

Fly Safe!

Lilah

Latest resources

Back