Scott Crossfield's C210 missing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mcjohn said:
I know. That's why I want to hear from them.

I'm curious how many have done that. I wonder if it's about the same as the number of astronauts? Anyone Anyone

You're kidding, right?

Sound barrier isn't that big of a deal.

Think of how many people rode on Concorde. That's Mach 2+

How many THOUSANDS of fighter pilots throughout just this country since the dawn of the jet age have gone through Mach 1.

Compare that to the few hundred Astronaut pins given out.

mcjohn said:
I know. That's why I want to hear from them.

I'm curious how many have done that. I wonder if it's about the same as the number of astronauts? Anyone Anyone

I don't think you're thinking about this, bud. *most* (if not all) fighters since the F-100 (early 1950's) have been able to break the sound barrier in level flight. Many earlier ones were capable of doing it in a dive. I would guess that *every* pilot who was an operational fighter pilot in the last 4 to 5 decades has broken the sound barrier, numerous times. That would be a whole bunch. tens of thousands, I would imagine.

A Squared said:
I don't think you're thinking about this, bud. *most* (if not all) fighters since the F-100 (early 1950's) have been able to break the sound barrier in level flight. Many earlier ones were capable of doing it in a dive. I would guess that *every* pilot who was an operational fighter pilot in the last 4 to 5 decades has broken the sound barrier, numerous times. That would be a whole bunch. tens of thousands, I would imagine.

I'm just trying to compare Scott feats to the modern day!!! How many folks are going mach 2+ now a days? I know my first question was dumb. I was thinking about the Chuck controversy and forgot Scott's record was mach 2.

mcjohn said:
I'm just trying to compare Scott feats to the modern day!!! How many folks are going mach 2+ now a days? I know my first question was dumb. I was thinking about the Chuck controversy and forgot Scott's record was mach 2.

X-15 went comfortably faster than mach 2. D558-II went Mach 2.

One of my captains did something that not many people in the military can say they have done for quite some time.

800kts at 100 ft. in an F105.

I dont think there has been anything in the inventory that could do that in some time.

Grumman guy said:
One of my captains did something that not many people in the military can say they have done for quite some time.

I dont think there has been anything in the inventory that could do that in some time.

A B-1? Aren't they pretty speedy down low?

Grumman guy said:

Not since F-111 was retired.

Bummed out to hear about Crossfield. I first saw him on an interview talking about his part in the X-15. The guy was real modest and cool. he must have been in his 70's at the time but he was still mentally razor sharp. I don't really read alot of aviation history anymore, like i did when i was a kid. But if I looked up to any of the old pilots, it would be Crossfield. I read yeagers book when i was like 10 and I could tell even then, that he was an egomaniac A-hole. I guess hes not mellowing out with age

Latest resources

Back