Scott Crossfield's C210 missing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeager

Looks like Yeager is armchair quarterbacking him, just as he did in "the good ole days." While everything he said may or may not be true, it is truly without class that Yeager comes out with that just after the man didn't make his destination.

From CNN:

Crossfield was flying "in very bad weather," Yeager noted.
During their days as test pilots, he said Crossfield "being a civilian, had a lot more freedom than we did, as military guys. ... Sometimes he exceeded his capability and got in trouble."
Asked for an example, the 83-year-old Yeager said: "Flying in weather that he should have never been in."

God speed to an aviation pioneer gone West.

If anyone learns of the probable cause please post the information.

I would go as far to say that Scotty could have passed away before reaching terra firma. There have been many documented plane crashes with men younger than him dying from a heart attack while at the controls.

Honestly,, Yeager was my hero when I was young. Then I read the "rest" of the story.
And who was that civilian guy who blew through the sound barrier days before the General????

Seems now every time ol' Chuck opens his mouth these days he is an embaressment to me.

A civillian pilot? HA! Chuck couldn't wash Scott's shorts.

Hung

Hung Start said:
And who was that civilian guy who blew through the sound barrier days before the General????

Hung

George Welch.

Gypped out of a medal of honor for his actions at Pearl Harbor. He and his flight leader took off on December 7th to defend without orders, and as such he was denied any decorations for his actions and kills that day.

Put the F-86 through mach 1 twice before the X1 did. One the day/days before and the other day-of if I recall correctly.

volunteer said:
From CNN:

Crossfield was flying "in very bad weather," Yeager noted.
During their days as test pilots, he said Crossfield "being a civilian, had a lot more freedom than we did, as military guys. ... Sometimes he exceeded his capability and got in trouble."
Asked for an example, the 83-year-old Yeager said: "Flying in weather that he should have never been in."

That is truly sad.

Yeager should be publicly lowered to the place in history that has always been his: a notable P-51 ace and an also-ran from NACA and the USAF's early days. He's never come close to deserving the image of "aviation god" that the general public has bestowed upon him. What an a$$hole.

Scott Crossfield

In addition to being an aviation legend, Mr. Crossfield was a gentleman; courteous, humorous, and never too busy to talk to a younger pilot. Since he was a naval aviator and flight test pioneer, I suggest that it would be appropriate to re-name Patuxent River NAS in his honor.

I never finished Yeager's book. He was really stuck on himself. His ego would be an embarasment to a present day aviator thinking his military pilots were so much better than the civilians doing the same thing. Bob Hoover never had that arrogance. Chuck just loved Chuck. Too bad Scott didn't do his supersonic flight two weeks earlier.

Latest resources

Back