• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Scoop on AirTran?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not sure about Big Joe...but I did learn something about AirTran today.

My carrier's flights were weight restricted....no XCMs.

Delta was full.

Midwest wasn't too interested.

So, I thought I'd try AT. What a surprise. The gate agent was actually very nice and accomodating.......a 180 from my carrier. She gave me a boarding pass right away...and was friendly about it. I was in a mild state of shock.

The flight crew seemed happy to be at work.

The F/As were very nice also. The XM radio topped it off.

I had never ridden on AT before.....and didn't know what to expect. Their product, service and employees are TOP NOTCH.

Thanks AT guys and gals for the ride.....and keep up the good work.

320AV8R

nwaredtail said:
At the interview, be sure to be up on Airtran history. Do not bring up that it started with a bunch of EAL scabs (now that ALPA welcomes them) and certainly do not bring up Valujet.

I would talk about how Joe Leonard was a visionary when it comes to reducing maintenence cost while he was at American Airlines in the late 70's. Skipping the extra step of removing the engine and then the pylon really saved money. Of Course, while the Dc-10 was 300 feet in the air with 290 plus people about to die, I think they wish he wasn't such a pri"ck. Isn't a short memory a great thing.

Say hello to forklift Joe for me. And yes, I do have a direct tie to AA flt 191.
NWA
Are you still upset with FORD over the pinto? how about setting the time machine to come back. I'm sure if it was'nt for the grooming standards you would wear that mullet, because you think it looks soo cool.

Fletch--If you knew someone on that flight, I think you'd hold a grudge too. A pretty shoddy operation caused those deaths and no one went to jail. JMO.TC

Why do people blame Joe L. for the ORD accident? Blame should fall on the shift change and bleed down of hydraulic pressure on the forklift. Get the facts straight.

RV

Well.... wasnt it Continental who dreamed up the engine and pylon combination change ?

I guess the AA engineering department thought it was a good idea.... wrong. Mx decided not to use dynos at AA? Very sad and a lesson for all.

But... Those who live in glass houses... shouldnt throw stones....

It seems to me RedTail... I remember a certain 747 that was taking off in DTW into a Level 4.... Completely trashed the aircraft. It looked like an group of teamsters beat the living crap out of the entire bird.... shattered the windows, radome gone, bullets flattened...... amazing it made it back to the airport. Says alot for the 747 ....

Oh yeah... how bout that DC10 that just a bout ran out of gas, a few years back.... Known fuel procedure revised...

Oh yeah... heard a bout that little taxi problem in DTW.... 727 and a DC9

And then there was that Airbus in LGA... Oh... that was MX...

How bout that A320 in Vegas.... rolled away from its chocks... big damage.

How bout that A320 in DTW ... I think it was a tail strike due to ... well not sure just heard rumors.. Stab trim not set correctly.?..

RedTail.... Please be professional ..... shut your mouth dude. And we wont even bring up the other little MD 80 problems that occured in DTW.

It seems to me we should be looking 'always' to improve our safety record. This is what is most important to all of us. I can tell you we take it very serious at AirTran. We want our crew and passengers safe, comfortable, and happy. RedTail ... your comments are damaging to the profession and all pilots. Respectfully and Sincerly MNBOY

Get back on track

It's pretty amazing how these threads just take a tangent; it's obvious there's lots of folks with issues out there. I can certaintly understand that but I'd really like to get back to the original inquiry of AirTran today, not necessarily drudge up bad feelings for Value Jet or Joe L. I may not be totally aware of the source of these but I'd like to think we've turned the page. Anyways, thanks for the feedback so far and would welcome any other info everyone out there can offer.

Big Iron

Redtail . . . as in baboon:

Welcome to the new Millenium, 5 years late.

The Earth has cooled, the dinosaurs came and went, and a new airline has come into being.

It has an enviable safety record, decent on-time performance, the newest all-Boeing fleet in the world, and delivers decent service, low prices, and makes a small, but reasonable profit.

That airline is called AirTran Airways, if you haven't guessed by now.

Yet you refuse to accept the above, and insist on living in the days when Valujet plyed the skies in aging DC9 aircraft. And, as we all know, a cargo fire caused Valujet Flight 592 to crash in the Florida everglades, as was repeatedly shown ad infitum on CNN for several years thereafter.

That was, however, 9 years ago . . . and a different company has emerged. The last Valujet airplane has been gone for several years. The management of this airline is not Valujet. The planes are not Valujet, and the vast majority of the employees were hired after the merger . . . in fact, well over half of us have been hired since 9/11.

If you want to keep living in the past, perhaps you should cart your stupid ass over to the history channel website and everyone will be happier.

twepilot said:
Why do people blame Joe L. for the ORD accident? Blame should fall on the shift change and bleed down of hydraulic pressure on the forklift. Get the facts straight.

RV

The facts, TWEpilot, are that Joe L. signed off on a non-approved shortcut to an engine change, which made him personally responsible. Along with all the other people that followed his instructions. Bleed down of hydraulic pressure may have been a contributing cause, but not the main one. This is all old hat and well known in the industry, and came out in the accident report.

Big Iron.... Sorry for the rant. I was at recurrent bout a month back. Lots of blue suits standing around. Glad your ducks are in order.... You'll do fine.

I'm pretty sure they just want regular fellas that are down for flying at AirTran. It helps to have an internal rec. obviously. Be yourself and have fun. Be sincere. We just want folks that are gonna work hard, fly safe, and not bitch every leg of a four day trip. Relax, smile, and tell Steph you think she's hot.

What a bummer to fly with a fella like RedTail... Thank goodness we dont have many like that at AirTran.

It is a good place to work and getting better every week. Now... If we can just get this gate agent thing fixed in ATL.... a few are great.. the rest.. are in training.....

Good Luck with your interview BigIron.... see ya on the line after training.. You'll grit your teeth in training.. bear with it. Just keep smiling... have a cold one when training gets ya down....

We have a good mix of pilots... Military, Civilian, Freight, Ex Legacy, Commuter, Boys, Girls, Men, Women, Big one, small ones..... LOL...

Keepin it real in the ATL...

AAdriver and others, This was a thread about an interview that got hijacked. if you want to bash AirTran, just start your own thread. How would you respond if I suggested to someone with an interview at AA that they could get hired if they tell the interview board that they already know the correct wake turbulence recovery proceedure? If you want to defend nwa redidiot you need to get out of the glass house.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back