Scoop on AirTran?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Big Iron

I've secured an interview next week and was looking for any updates that might be floating around out there. Done the all searches here on the forum so I'm good there, but I was not able to attend the job fair in Atlanta. Welcome any suggestions for success, pretty sure my ducks are aligned. Word from HR, interviews 21 Nov and every Thursday in Dec.
AirTran guys.....how long is the wait for a training class after Klaus calls and typically how long are folks waiting for that call?

Big Iron

I think the call is any where from 4 days to 2 weeks after the interview. There were guys in my class that interviewed before I did yet got the call after me. Go figure. I think the next class is the 28th of Nov.

Good luck.

Big Iron, sounds like you've done your homework. Relax, keep a CRM and Captain mindset and you'll be fine.
Congratulations and good luck!

And try not to say secure too often!

FJ

ps: Thanks for your service and best of luck in the interview.

And that was tongue in cheek in case anybody didn't get it.

When Klaus does call, be sure you are ready for interview type questions (i.e- why do you want to be here? and Why did you leave X airlines for your present job?). I have a buddy whose friend lost the job on that phone call. No reason to "ping" but it probably would be a good idea not drink too much while waiting for the phone call.

I think that with some people getting hired here and then leaving for Fedex and UPS, Klaus really wants to make sure you're going to stay.

Good Luck.

AFcitrus said:
No reason to "ping" but it probably would be a good idea not drink too much while waiting for the phone call.

Good Luck.

Isn't that why God invented caller ID? That and to hide out from Scheduling . . . . heh-heh.

AFcitrus said:
When Klaus does call, be sure you are ready for interview type questions (i.e- why do you want to be here? and Why did you leave X airlines for your present job?). I have a buddy whose friend lost the job on that phone call. No reason to "ping" but it probably would be a good idea not drink too much while waiting for the phone call.

I think that with some people getting hired here and then leaving for Fedex and UPS, Klaus really wants to make sure you're going to stay.

Good Luck.

Why would ANYONE leave airtran for FedEx or UPS? You'd get the impression on this board that airtran is the place to be.

At the interview, be sure to be up on Airtran history. Do not bring up that it started with a bunch of EAL scabs (now that ALPA welcomes them) and certainly do not bring up Valujet.

I would talk about how Joe Leonard was a visionary when it comes to reducing maintenence cost while he was at American Airlines in the late 70's. Skipping the extra step of removing the engine and then the pylon really saved money. Of Course, while the Dc-10 was 300 feet in the air with 290 plus people about to die, I think they wish he wasn't such a pri"ck. Isn't a short memory a great thing.

Say hello to forklift Joe for me. And yes, I do have a direct tie to AA flt 191.

commuterpuke said:
Why would ANYONE leave airtran for FedEx or UPS? You'd get the impression on this board that airtran is the place to be.

Puh-lease. Is that the best flame you've got?

AirTran is a decent place to work. As a Captain in my fourth year with a pretty easy on-line commute, I enjoy the hell out of it.

If I were a newhire, though, who was fielding offers from Fedex, UPS and SWA, I would have to give very strong considerations to those carriers. One of the deciding factors for me would have to be the commute, if any, and the upgrade time. For me, AirTran is working just fine, thank you.

Best of luck to all . . . .

Not sure if Joe was the one that thought it was a good idea to save on the flap/slat actuator by only extending them when the pilots thought it may save their lives or the passengers they were carrying.

Latest resources

Back