Scoop on AirTran?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What is wrong with that guy?

Well Big Iron, my name says it all. I've been here just a little while and I couldnt be happier, great crews, great airplanes, great company! Airtran will be around or a long long time and were growing like crazy! Just be yourself at the interview and show them how much you want to work for Aitran, they will see your dedication and welcome you aboard. Its really that simple. :)

On flightinfo you wont be able to talk about any airline in a positive light without someone bringing up something negative. Southwest is doing well but youll always hear about the airplane that went off the end of the runway into a gas station or how you have to pay for your type, Jetblue is doing well but someone will bring up the low pay and no union or the nosegear thing. American.... little rock, Talk about Continentals success and they will bring up the scabs that work there.... Talk about Airtran and they will bring up scabs, or Valujet. Sometimes it stinks to be successful (tongue in cheek). :) I'll tell you what, we may not be the best LCC but we are well on our way and to tell you the truth, I dont think I want to be the best because once you are #1 there is only one place to go and thats down, you become everyones target and besides nothing lasts forever. Im perfectly happy with being second best :D

AF

Last edited:
aa73,

Please do some research and quit your spoutin' off of misleading information. The facts are.. it was an approved procedure...there was a mechanics shift change during the time that the forklift had support of the engine and its weight during the time that the engine was being secured to the engine mounting surfaces/pylon...during this shift change the hydraulic pressure bled down to the point that the forklift was unable to continue supporting the weight of the engine. Consequently, as the forklift hydraulic cylinders slowly collapsed, undue stress was exerted upon critical attach points within the wing mounting pylon structure. This attach point later failed during takeoff causing the engine itself to pivot about its remaining attach points...and so on...

RV

twepilot said:
aa73,

Please do some research and quit your spoutin' off of misleading information. The facts are.. it was an approved procedure...there was a mechanics shift change during the time that the forklift had support of the engine and its weight during the time that the engine was being secured to the engine mounting surfaces/pylon...during this shift change the hydraulic pressure bled down to the point that the forklift was unable to continue supporting the weight of the engine. Consequently, as the forklift hydraulic cylinders slowly collapsed, undue stress was exerted upon critical attach points within the wing mounting pylon structure. This attach point later failed during takeoff causing the engine itself to pivot about its remaining attach points...and so on...

RV

I would suggest you do YOUR research sir, before you accuse others of doing theirs!

It was NOT an approved procedure, that's what caused the big stink during the investigation. Everything else you said is accurate, except for that. Check out the accident report:

The NTSB Investigation

The resulting investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) was released on December 21 1979. It revealed the probable cause to be attributable to damage to the left wing engine pylon that occurred during an earlier engine change at American's aircraft overhaul facility in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The pylon was damaged due to an incorrectly executed engine removal procedure. The correct procedure called for removal of the engine prior to the removal of the engine pylon. To save time and costs, American Airlines instructed its mechanics to remove the engine together with the pylon all at one time. A large fork lift was used to hold the engine up while it was detached from the wing. During the procedure a crew shift change occurred, leaving the fork lift unmonitored for a period of time. A problem in the fork lift's hydraulic system caused it to tilt the engine while still under the wing. This exerted enough pressure on the engine pylon to create a large indentation and a serious fracture in its body. The fracture went unnoticed for several flights, getting worse with each flight that the plane had taken. During flight 191's takeoff, enough force was generated to finally cause the pylon to fail. With the failure of the rear pylon, the left engine detached from under the wing and tore away. With the loss of the engine and the position of the slats, the plane was destined for disaster. The NTSB concluded that given the circumstances of the situation, the pilots were not in any way to blame for the resulting accident.
http://forums.flightinfo.com/

Question about application

Maybe someone can help me with this one. I filled out the online app and there are 2 boxes you need to check off to agree not to carry weapons and agree to drug testing. I save it and log out. Everytime I log in again both boxes are unchecked. Does anyone else get this or is it just me. I haven't been called for an interview with lots of time in a B737-700, no felonies, pass all PC rides etc...I keep seeing Airtran advertisments looking for pilots. Could this box issue be screwing me or is a recommendation required?

Thanks guys

Hi Captain X,

I noticed that about the on-line app. as well. I asked about it and was told that you would fill out an updated form during an interview, so I don't think that would keep you from getting called, but maybe Mr. Webb can answer that.

As far as I can tell, an internal rec. is a big plus. Another big plus is attending a job fair. I just attended a job fair in ATL and met with fine folks at AirTran. Very nice people.

Good luck

Thanks WesB,

I appreciate the info. Since I don't know anybody on that side of the country I should try a Job Fair. Thanks

Latest resources

Back