Scary Numbers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Skyline said:
Of the private pilots I am sure that at least 70% are intending to make a career out of it.

Even if that 70% was accurate, you have to keep in mind that more than half give up half way or don't make it to a job because they are very lazy and/or think that they deserve a job.

Skyline said:
CFI's have it the worst, there is a one to one ratio for students to CFI's in this counrty. Anyone who gets a CFI is nuts.

SkyHigh

I was an instructor for 2 years, and even though I had a few slow months, for the most part I was working 7 days a week and had to turn students down.

Like someone said before in another thread, to make it in aviation you have to be very persistant, almost a fanatic,and a lot of people lack that kind of drive, some don't even have the initiative to look for work,they give up before it's over. That's why there's not really as much competition as it seems.

I hold a commercial cert and have never (nor attempted) to use it. Was a good goal to achieve. Someday I may use it, but probably not as my primary profession.

I know several other pilots at the local airport in the same boat...

a group of about 5 guys got together and hired an instructor for full days to teach them all for their commercial rating just so they could save on insurance. Which btw how much does that make a diff i've never gone back to get renters ins. in awhile and have since recieved 3 new ratings. Does it really drop that much for the person or only really worth it if you're the aircraft owner?

The facts presented by AOPA need to have some sort of support (timeframes, dates, breakdowns of each rating).

The colleges and universities have specific goals/marketing for their students. Keep in mind there are so many more FBOs that do flight training for the local folks.

Skyline said:
By estimating the number of good airline jobs at the best majors and averaging attrition over a 20 year cycle that means that an average of 2500 jobs are available every year on average.

Let us not forget all of the other flying jobs that are not 'airline'. Corporate, Cargo, Charter, Government.

Skyline said:
Is it tuff to make it outside of your home training airport.

I did all of my training elsewhere. I went in to a flight school with resume, smile, determination, committment all in hand, and have been very happy with my success as a CFI.

Pedro said:
Even if that 70% was accurate, you have to keep in mind that more than half give up half way or don't make it to a job because they are very lazy and/or think that they deserve a job.

Yes, it may be tough to make it elsewhere, yet I have seen countless resumes faxed in, no personal visit, no phone call. I have seen so many CFIs promising to work weekends and then never show up. CFIs can make their own breaks!

I just flew with a retired TWA pilot who said, "If you ever need primary instructors on the weekends, I would be available." The man does not currently instruct, yet kept his CFI current.

Fly_Chick said:
Yes, it may be tough to make it elsewhere, yet I have seen countless resumes faxed in, no personal visit, no phone call. I have seen so many CFIs promising to work weekends and then never show up. CFIs can make their own breaks!

That was my point. Are you trying topick a fight with me lady ;)

Pedro said:
That was my point. Are you trying topick a fight with me lady ;)

Pedro, I was using your point to support my statement!
icon34.gif

"69% of all statistics are pulled straight ouf of the arse" - Science Journal

Hmm... i never knew that.

I've only freelance instructed, and haven't been around the insular academy/university flight school industry, just flying club schools. But just from the students/pilots I've seen, the vast majority have no aspirations beyond getting a private - not even an instrument rating.

Most cannot afford the time and commitment it takes to pursue anything more - even if they have the dream, it remains only a dream. I think that, of the private pilots, most already have a career, and I wouldn't be surprised if more than half of them were over 45, and fly less than 25 hours per year. Come to think of it, this describes half the commercial-rated pilots I know. That knocks down the numbers significantly. Lies, d8mned lies, and statistics......

I think the vast majority of CFI's do not instruct at all, they just keep their certificate current, either for the odd BFR, or just in case they need it. The professional CFI's I know are very busy.

Last edited:
Skyline said:
Most small airports try to protect the local boys. Sometimes you will have to be sneaky and brave. Many times I was pursued by airport managers a business owners and would have to switch airports for a while. I owned a Cessna 150 and lived in the back of my Toyota Tacoma. I would park the Tacoma under the wing of my Cessna and charge about 20/hr less than the local schools. I had no insurance and would do ground school at students homes. As a tip sometimes my students would let me shower and shave and would feed me lunch. I had a few students that would hire me for an entire week or two so I would fly out to their home airport and would live in thier laundry room while we worked on their rating.

Try direct mailings by looking up the names of flight students on Landings.com.

Skyline

This is the kind of drive I'm talking about!!

Latest resources

Back