scabs.......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mr. Hat

I think you and I agree on a lot of things, and I appreciate your willingness to have usefull dialogue as opposed to throwing insults and accusation.

With regards to Skywest, here's my opinion. It appears to me that your greatest concern is, "what could happen in a merger." In my opinion, Skywest does not appear to be a candidate for acquisition. ACA is in the middle of a risky conversion (I hope it works) and that high risk situation is what made them a target. (Along with some prodding from UAL) Skywest, however, continues to turn a profit, and holds a considerable amount of cash on hand. They are well managed, and I'm sure if hostile takeover protection didn't already exist, ACA's recent adventure has inspired them to take the proper measures. Also, your concerns about management at SKW changing payrates is unfounded. SKW pilots have a legally binding contract just like you do, they just didn't pay a 3rd party to negotiate it for them.

As far as unions protecting jobs and pay after mergers or acquisitions, what happened to places like CCAir, or Westair, or TWA?

I only brought up Skywest because someone else did. I have no beef with Skywest at all. But just because you arent on the block to be aquired dont assume you never will be. Most of the time things like that happen so quickly nobody saw it coming. TWA, got shafted because APA was the ones taking them over and the TWA guys didnt fight all the hard because they knew that they were going to loose their jobs without American taking them over anyway. That was a weird one. I cannot comment on CCAir or Westair as I am not familiar with their situation. But point being that you stand a better chance of a fair integration as an ALPA carrier. Yes TWA was different but there are always going to be exceptions to the rule. What would happen if ExpressJet decided to buy Skywest? Not that Ive heard that but it very well could happen. There has been talk of "Regional" consolidation and frankly it makes a lot of sense. There is going to be too much "RJ" capacity out there very soon and who knows whats going to happen.

I'm not here to argue with anyone, But I do feel that there is alot of misconception of unions out there from the non-union folk. In my opinion airlines need to be unionized just because of the nature of the industry. Management is concerned with money first, pilots are concerned with safety first, sometimes those two lines come into conflict and a union can squelch a touchy situation by erring on the side of safety when the companies get out of control. Doesnt happen often anymore but if you read Flying the Line I you'll see that those kinds of things used to happen all the time. ALPA is credited with instating rest rules and other safety devices so that we dont have these problems now a days. We must stick together as pilots.

Having a union doesnt mean you have to be at war with you're company or scabs or anything else. But better to have one now then to wish you had one when merger time rolls around or you have some other kind of problem.

I know there are alot of hungry guys out there, but pay heed I know a guy( really not me) but he could not get a interview for 10 years after going to an Eastern interview right before the strike. after all it may be a raise for you, but for Christ ( allah, nimrod, buddah or whom ever you worship) sake take pride in your job and don't let them lower a bar that in already draggin swamp grass outta the glades

Crossing a picket line is an unforgivable sin, but so are the acts of terrorism that are enacted upon scabs as well. Professional ostracization and shunning are perfectly appropriate, but if anyone did to me some of the things that happened to the Northwest guy whose wife killed herself, they'd be staring down the barrel of a gun held in self-defense -- and I can guarantee you they'd fail their next physical.

Scabs are scabs, but terrorism is also unforgivable. You'd think that in this day and age pilots, of all people, would recognize that fact.

Business 101- Management gets the unions they deserve, or when labor organizes, management has failed.

Re: Define SCAB?

pilotyip said:
Still no one has described SCAB, how about the ALPA who other unions picket lines?

The Eleventh Circuit Court referenced the following definitions, in footnote 7, of a scab in Dunn v. ALPA

"The various definitions of a "scab" in the labor context are: "(1): one who refuses to join a union (2): a member of a union who refuses to strike or returns to work before a strike has ended (3): a worker who accepts employment or replaces a union worker during a strike (4): one who works for lower wages than or under conditions contrary to those prescribed by a union."

Last edited:
See, the thread below is what I mean! I dont know if it is true or not but if it isnt true it could happen in the snap of a finger and the employees cannot say boo about it. This is also another reason why the pilots at ALL "Regional" airlines NEED to strive for equality with their mainline partners. It is the only way to stop the incessent industry wide whipsawing! How much does an F100 pilot make at American and we are going to drive 70/90 seat RJ's down to the turboprop pay of an E145/CL65?!?

Equal pay for equal work!
http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26872

Latest resources

Back