• Start date
  • Watchers 32

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Where else would we keep the names of those who care so little about others?

Wow, some of you guys are really smart for knowing that the scab list was real, before the rest of us knew it was real. Gosh and golly, you should work for Barack Obama or something super cool and neato like that...

Wow, some of you guys are really smart for knowing that the scab list was real, before the rest of us knew it was real. Gosh and golly, you should work for Barack Obama or something super cool and neato like that...

Maybe we do.

How Many of You Have Actually Been on Strike?

I have. Please do not sugarcoat the process of walking away from your job. I walked the line when Comair went on strike. It meant a lot to stand for what you believed was right after years of hoping for a fair contract.

Having said that and lived for 89 days without a paycheck, only to receive the same offer that was on the table prior to jeopardizing the well being of my family for 89 days, I am leary of the "scab" concept. Everybody has circumstances that are unique. Who am I to say someone should be blackballed because they cannot afford to walk away from their job?

I proudly hang my ALPA Wooden Wings on the wall in my office. Until you can do the same because you went for broke (and were broke) because of what you believed in, be careful about the use of the word "scab". BTW, I was called a scab by the instructors at the Comair Aviation Academy while in ground school as a new hire for the EMB-120 on their campus because some of them felt I took a job from them because I did not instruct there. They did not know what they were talking about. I suppose those of you who have not actually walked the line as an ALPA member do not know what you are talking about either.

Welcome

I have. Please do not sugarcoat the process of walking away from your job. I walked the line when Comair went on strike. It meant a lot to stand for what you believed was right after years of hoping for a fair contract.

Having said that and lived for 89 days without a paycheck, only to receive the same offer that was on the table prior to jeopardizing the well being of my family for 89 days, I am leary of the "scab" concept. Everybody has circumstances that are unique. Who am I to say someone should be blackballed because they cannot afford to walk away from their job?

I proudly hang my ALPA Wooden Wings on the wall in my office. Until you can do the same because you went for broke (and were broke) because of what you believed in, be careful about the use of the word "scab". BTW, I was called a scab by the instructors at the Comair Aviation Academy while in ground school as a new hire for the EMB-120 on their campus because some of them felt I took a job from them because I did not instruct there. They did not know what they were talking about. I suppose those of you who have not actually walked the line as an ALPA member do not know what you are talking about either.
Great post, SCAB is over used. But like your CAA IP's many feel if they use that word they will be considered profesionals inside the business. Lording their ststus over others. I am also not one judge what a person has to do to keep their house and feed thier families

Great post, SCAB is over used. But like your CAA IP's many feel if they use that word they will be considered profesionals inside the business. Lording their ststus over others. I am also not one judge what a person has to do to keep their house and feed thier families

You're a drunken' joke of a pilot if you're even allowed to still allowed to hold a medical. If you are for real, you're a puppet stringed along by the owner of your company. Bizarre, but I guess feasible considering the many weirdos in this line of work.

I know someone on the UAL "scab" list. He was offered a job by UAL during the strike. He called ALPA who told him, "go to class but don't operate a trip". He did go to class, the strike was over before he completed training.

He was hired off the street as a 727 Captain but never operated a trip as a Captain as he went to the back seat. United paid him as a Captain from day one.

A year or two later, ALPA found out he was being paid as a Captain and wanted him to give ALPA the difference clear back to day one. He said "No". How is that a scab?

ALPA is f^cked up. Would I cross a picket line? probably not, but I'm not blindly following a union that has done nothing but screw me since I became a member.

ALPA is not about you or me, it's about ALPA. The members of ALPA who work on safety issues have my respect and admiration. The union leadership doesn't. Your leader now is a bafoon. The one before was a thief. That's my opinion..............

I agree with your opinions on ALPA, but your friend is a scab. I would not even think about taking a job with an airline on strike as I have morals and common sense. Your friend is trying to justify without success that his entire career for the last 24 years is honest. If he was paid captain wages from the beginning, it is because United rewarded him for scabbing. Your friend is a piece of sh!t and has no ethics. It does not surprise me that he is lying to you to make himself look better.

There was mention earlier on in this discussion of whether or not there was a problem with having a document that has in its listing a persons identifying information (i.e. social security number). Well, if you are in the State of Texas and are found in possession of this type of information, it is in fact a criminal offense.

Texas Penal Code 32.51
Fraudulent Use or Possession of Identifying Information
Identity Theft Enforcement and Protection Act

(b) A person commits an offense if the person, with the intent to harm or defraud another, obtains, possesses, transfers, or uses an item of identifying information of:
(1) a deceased natural person, including a stillborn infant or fetus, without legal authorization; or
(2) another person without the other person's consent.
(b-1) For the purposes of Subsection (b), the actor is presumed to have the intent to harm or defraud another if the actor possesses:
(1) the identifying information of three or more other persons;
(2) information described by Subsection (b)(2) concerning three or more deceased persons; or
(3) information described by Subdivision (1) or (2) concerning three or more persons or deceased persons.
(b-2) The presumption established under Subsection (b-1) does not apply to a business or other commercial entity or a government agency that is engaged in a business activity or governmental function that does not violate a penal law of this state.
(c) An offense under this section is:
(1) a state jail felony if the number of items obtained, possessed, transferred, or used is less than five;
(2) a felony of the third degree if the number of items obtained, possessed, transferred, or used is five or more but less than 10;
(3) a felony of the second degree if the number of items obtained, possessed, transferred, or used is 10 or more but less than 50; or
(4) a felony of the first degree if the number of items obtained, possessed, transferred, or used is 50 or more.
(d) If a court orders a defendant convicted of an offense under this section to make restitution to the victim of the offense, the court may order the defendant to reimburse the victim for lost income or other expenses, other than attorney's fees, incurred as a result of the offense.
(e) If conduct that constitutes an offense under this section also constitutes an offense under any other law, the actor may be prosecuted under this section, the other law, or both.

There is an inordinate amount of pilots that in the past have crossed a line and flew strike sanctioned work that live in areas of Texas. I know of three instances where one of these individuals on a "well known list" were victims of identity theft. During the investigations (one of which I assisted in) the individuals presented law enforcement with copies of the "well known list" as part of the investigation into where someone came into possession of the pilots social security number.

I have had a copy of the "well known list" in my flight case for years. I have never refered to it when checking on a jumpseater, but I had read over it at one time and I suppoose I carried it everyday in that flight case to hold myself as a defender of the CAUSE. But the very afternoon after meeting that pilot in my office, I went straight home, took the "well known list" out of my flight case and shreaded it. I did this not because I felt sympathy for the pilot, but rather I realized that I had personal and criminal liability each time carried it with me.

Folks I guess what I am trying to say is please do not let your personal feelings, sense of union pride, or belief that "its ok to have/distrubute this list becuase "everyone" has it" get you into a bind. Rest assured that if you were to ever get into some sort of civil or criminal procedings because of something like this that National ALPA would build walls around themselves and your unity would become a group of one. ALPA just can't afford the potential civil judgements that are happening today.

Lamar

Last edited:
I just re-read my last post and realized that I hadn't told enough of the story about the pilot getting his identity stolen to make it clear how the crime occured that violated 32.51. But you get my drift .......

Lamar

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back