Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Salary for a corporate pilot in this case...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rhetro

Hello.

I was wondering is someone could point me in the right direction and I figure this could be a good place to get some feedback.

I'm a pilot that has been flying in the FO seat with a company for the past 7 years without a raise. I have never been typed until this past feb. My captain doesn't let me fly so I don't have much PIC turbine time. I make about 33,000 AFTER taxes.

I know what you're thinking: Why the hell would I stay without moving forward. Simple, I get paid a decent salary and I only work about 130 hrs a YEAR. They paid for my type rating and gave me my commercial helicopter license. I'm not really able to relocate as my mom lives in the same town where I do and her health is't too good. She's also by herself and needs me around.

I have time off to work two other jobs. This is the unfortunate aspect: I racked up some substatial debt inproving the house I now live in. You could say that I've been a fool with my money. I'm not proud of that fact, but I'm trying to fix some of the damage this debt is causing.

I've been thinking about asking the boss for a raise, because my captain doesn't seem to give a care. It's never been a big deal until now when money has become tighter than ever.

I wanted to know what I could put on the table when negotiating with the boss of the company. I don't want to go in unprepared. Some things like:

1) I'm now typed in the jet we fly so it's co captain not FO.
2) I've only got about 2900 total time (half of that is SIC turbine -I know, essentially useless
3) I'm dual rated in jets and helicopters
3) I've been LOYAL to the company for 7 years.

again, I make 33,000 after taxes. I'm wondering what a fair increase in my pay is without insulting the boss and without selling myself short?

any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Don't know, going to need to be specific. . .

$33,000 AFTER taxes, what does that mean? What tax bracket are you in, how many dependents do you claim, are you married filing jointly, how much do your other jobs pay? Doesn't do much good to say how much you make after taxes. Let's talk in real numbers. Also what type of airplane are you flying? Your profile says "cessna, be40". . .what is it? Citation? Which model? Beechjet? Are you typed because insurance said you had to be but still only riding shotgun? Do you fly this helicopter for companesation of company business? Part 135 or 91 for each? What kind of helicopter? Even after you answer all these questions I still would have to say, "Sorry, Charlie" you've been TOO loyal and have set a precedent. You needed to nut up years ago and get your just desserts.

All that being said. . .Beechjet pilot flying part 91 should be in the 65-75k range by ProPilot and AvCrew. Dual rated should bring you 10-20k more depending on the amount of helo flying assuming that is part of your job description. By the way, all of this is assuming that you are acting as a CAPTIAN and not just "captain qualified."

Not to disrespect you, but you are letting them abuse you for waiting 7 years to ask for a raise. You should have begun asking 6 years ago, and asked for one every year after. Typed or not the company took advantage of you for 6 years, and you let it happen. You speak of the helicopter training as if it was payment, if you fly it now for any other reason then your own pleasure, then you basically do more work for the same pay. I would be totaly honest with the boss man and tell him you need a raise and you deserve one for your years of loyalty. If the boss man doesnt see it your way i'd quit. Its not 2001 anymore, everyone is hiring.

Last edited:
A type rating does not a captain make. If you aren't active with the stick and rudder and decision making... you aren't the captain. No disrespect to you but, using the type rating they provided to you, for you and later using that against them for money is like taking a hostage. How much was the helo training $50k $75k?

pay raise

Go over the CP's head deal with the owner directly. I have been on both sides of this issue as FO I had to go to the decision makers and ask for the pay raise and as CP I have asked yearly for raises for the FO.
As far as no stick time you need to be flying every other leg. The CP's job is to hire co-captains not radio tuners if he does not trust you after 7 yrs you should not be working for him.

I agree with all of these posts. I've been in the same kind of situation. Good pay, no stick time, d-bag captain. I left after 5 months because I'm not going to sit there and get verbally abused to be a radio operator. You are a pilot, not a slave! I agree you waited to long but I admire you for your loyalty.

CM

The problem is that you haven't asked for a raise in seven years. Are they really going to take you seriously now? It sounds like if they don't give you a raise you'll stay anyways, and they probably know it. The other problem is debt. It's making a serf to your employer because you cannot risk losing your job. If you had six months living expenses you would be in a much stronger position to negotiate.

This is not 2001 anymore, with your times you could be back to work in a matter of days.

What ever you do, do not mention your personal financial delima's. It will appear t them that you are not responsible. (something they would want in a Captain)

Do your homework on what someone in your position makes. If the company only wants an SIC then you will not have much ammo. Even as an SIC you may be under paid. Be honest though, I also am confused by your AFTER Taxes comment. If you are on the book numbers you may have more difficulty in your fight. I hold your CP responsible for not giving you a minimum of cost of living increases, UNLESS that was agreed upon prior to employment. If you agreed to ratings for the plane and helicopter in lieu of raises then you have no gripe.

Should you go to the owner before you talk to the CP, then you must realize it will strain you relationship with the CP.

Latest resources

Back