Safety of regionals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Papps

The regionals are hemmoraging experienced captains right now. Upgrades are almost all minimum flight time required, and im sure many of those people never flew anything but a c-172 and an R.J. F/Os are getting hired with virtually no time. The F/Os with decent right seat experience are upgrading and becoming green captains.

Everyone is short on pilots so people are timing out like crazy every month. Tons of JM's, tons of extentions. Min days off, flying right to the FAA limits, minimum rest all the time. Tons of CDO's

I guess what im saying is that really low time crews are flying very demanding schedules. The regionals are becoming kind of scary. Anyone have any thoughts on the safety of all this.

Oh yeah i forgot to mention that some regionals are dropping required time to upgrade. Not because they did a study and realized that it was safe, but because they can't fill seats and now need to lower the bar.

I think 2500tt is the lowest total for CA upgrades right? Is anyone upgrading to CRJ Capt with less then this? When companies cant upgrade from the FO pool due to low-time they hire street captains.

I think 2500tt is the lowest total for CA upgrades right? Is anyone upgrading to CRJ Capt with less then this? When companies cant upgrade from the FO pool due to low-time they hire street captains.

XJT has no upgrade minimum. Just the standard ATP requirements.

if the airlines say the min times are 2500 or 3000 hours for an upgrade thats fine lets leave them there, and cancel flights as nessasary for lack of crews. Shouldn't we hold the safety standards that we have. Instead of lowering the for economic reasons

Last edited:
The airlines will not impose restrictions upon themselves which may hurt financially until it is has been proved that an ATP min captain is unsafe (e.g. accident). Even then, I think it would take FAA action to convince the airlines .

Not a regional slam thread. Im saying Maybe better Green on Green regs to make sure one guy in the plane has been in his seat for a while. Maybe the FAA needs to look at CDO's a little closer. Take a better look a cumulative fatigue not just fatigue from the layover from the night before.

Or improve training. Maybe a few more LOFT flights at the end of training. Have a leg out with summer problems like a crappy line of weather to get through. And a return flight a 600rvr deprature in the winter with some deicing simulation. So you screw around with conaminated runway numbers before you jump in the plane. maybe a busted APU to help out.

I think Papps is onto something we all realize deep down. Staffing, hours flown and general frustration all impact the safety culture. The question is, is it enough of an impact to be so detrimental to safety that an accident is likely to occur?

I think Papps is onto something we all realize deep down. Staffing, hours flown and general frustration all impact the safety culture. The question is, is it enough of an impact to be so detrimental to safety that an accident is likely to occur?

See what happens when you listen in school. You learn to take four poorly written babble posts and condense them into on well written synopsis of reason. You even ended it with a broad thought provoking question. Well done sir

Latest resources

Back