• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Saddest week of my life

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have to commend you on your bravery for bringing this subject up. Pilots are not what you would call a "sensitive" group of individuals.

We are engaged in a profession which requires a great deal of sacrifice and dedication. Some spouses understand this, some don't. I would not be where I am today if I did not have the support of my wife.

As pilots, when problems occur, we isolate the problem, then fix it, unfortunately, relationships are not that easy....

I think you are on the right track in looking inward.

I think that at some point in our lives all of us have been in your position in some form or another. Be strong.

I wish you the best of luck.....fly safely.............

In similar situation

My wife and I are married for 13 years with no kids she recently became VERY involved in Church Its her whole life . We no longer watch R rated movies, listen to rock music or watch any racy televeision and she does not drink . These are all unacceptable to her . All her friends are christians . They live clean lives but the fun has been removed from my marriage so I met and have been seeing a woman who is a personal trainer on the side who is very fun and exciting .We work out together I lost 28 pounds and feel the best I have felt in years . I love my wife but cannot deal with the "new Her " unfortunately a friend of hers saw me and this woman at the beach together .I am sure she also saw inappropriate behavior . I almost think I wanted to get caught my wife is away for now but upon return I am sure things will get interesting . So to Capt Buzzard keep your chin up and good luck . I am beginning to wonder about lifes true meaning I almost think we sholud just live life to its fullest and not fall in love . Vavso

Well, that will make the thread a little more interesting.

Is this flaim bait or what?

If not.......

C'mon man, you took the same vows your wife did.

Show her some respect.

Maybe you can go to church with her and find what your wife has found.

Good luck my man.

A personal trainer?! Aww, c'mon guys... forget the goofy flying stuff... I want more romping around the beach stories!

Capt B... hang in there, my man. I was in a similar situation six years ago... was heading to sea for a six month deployment on an aircraft carrier when the wife broke the news she wanted out. My first reaction was to blame myself and try to change... didn't help. I remember someone telling me that sometimes once a woman has made up her mind about these things it's nearly impossible to turn it back. I agree with that statement. Make positive changes in your life where they need to be made, let her see them but don't force the issue. If she doesn't respond, let it go knowing you did your best and move on. As someone already mentioned, you may be partially to blame but certainly not all... fix what you can, accept what you can't... you know, the old AA creed... cliche' but true.

That was a dark period, very tough times. I know many folks here have been in the same situation. The upshot is that today my life is the best it has ever been. Regardless of how it turns out or how bad it feels now, you will say the same some day soon. Let time do its good work!

Last edited:
my wife

I told my wife as we prepare for the career change that if she doesn't like the schedule or lifestyle to just tell me and no matter how much I like the job and we will find something new. Thats why I'm so set on finishing a computer science masters as a backup plan. If I have to pick between a fun job and a happy wife I'll take the happy wife!

Capt B....

Counseling, counseling and more counseling......

I'm not certain what your situation is, but I'v been married 17 years. It looked dismal a couple times, but we kept talking a sought help when needed. Do what is necessary to keep the marriage and you'll do just fine. Beer is very bad advice.

To the guy who found the personal trainer, I hoipe you make alot of money dude. You'll need it.

Vavso-

I'm left wondering how your wife was able to have these friends, and make such a monumental change in her life without your active participation and support. It suggests to me that your interest was elsewhere long before you met the personal trainer.

Can I recommend that you make an accounting of yourself and your life, including your marriage, before your relationship enters an unrecoverable spin?

At one point in my life I was the ultimate party animal/horndog, and I was able to turn away from a "road to nowhere". Life is much better now. You can do it, too. Actually if I could do it, ANYONE can.

Same here for a bit!

Hey CaptBuzzard,

I was going through the same thing just a few weeks ago, only It was more her fault or so I thought.

I felt she wasn't treating me with the respect I deserved. When I first met her she had a 4 year old son (now 7) and I have become a father to him, as well as cooking dinner (I was a chef for three yrs.) and cleaning and being supportive of whatever she wanted to do. I can't really give specifics but she was basically treating me like Sh&%. Her parents even agreed with me and they were scared that I would leave her.

Well, I had been recalled recently and have only been home a few times since all this had happened. Before I left however, we hadn't spoken in a week, only blank stares as we passed eachother through the house. I decided to talk to her the night I left and after a few tears she agreed she would try harder and I agreed I would also try.

Since then, things have been great between us, even better than when we first met. (well, close anyway)

Now my point after going on..........I decided to give it a try, but, unlike one of the other post's here I will not give up my dreams (Flying) to make things work out. You can't just change careers to make someone else happy, because you won't be. Just like you cannot ask anyone to change who they are, because they will be lying to themselves and that's not a good situation for anyone and that is not the person you met or fell in love with. You have to be happy in all facets of your life not just with the person you are with. If you have to try to make someone happy then maybe this isn't the right person for you.

I'm just telling my story, but I think some time apart may be good for both of you. It gave me time to think about what I really loved about our relationship and our lives together.

Good luck I know this is emotionally draining and probably takes up most of your day thinking about, but try to keep a clear head and think straight about what you really want.

Keep strong.

If she is moving out, you guys are moving quickly in the wrong direction. If there is any way to do some damage control quick, I would. I have stuck it out with my wife for 4 years and have finally come to realize that I can not change her. If any changing is going to be made, it must be by me.

However, I am the head of the household and the only one that works. So, If I chose to spend my extra money flying, she will have to come to terms with that. If she ever gets motivated to work, and add something to the income of the family, then we can make some financial changes. Until then, I feel she is lucky to have me still around and paying all the bills. I love my daughter and want to be a father to her more than weekends.

If you could be more specific about the problems you are having, maybe we could offer advice. Most of us on the board have made some major screwups and can offer advice at least on those subjects.

Somebody told me once before.........In order to be a Captain at a major airline you have to be divorced once, been furloughed once, and at least one strike under your belt. Hang in there my friend I am sure things will turn for the better. In the mean time Flightinfo.com is a great place to turn to for sarcasm....er I mean support.

Good Luck.

Latest resources

Back