• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Saddest week of my life

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I went through a divorce when I was working on my private, I know what you are going through.

The only mistake I made was to get the attitude of "holding on no matter what" and brought my self down and got into trouble.

Keep your chin up and smile. A relationship is a two way street. I've only come to realize this in my second marriage. My first, I gave everything, she took.

Family and friends are your best support. Sometimes even people you don't regard as friends are there to support you in your time of need. Try to work it out, compromise, and put out good effort. If it doesn't work out, at least you will know that you tried.

Good luck and God bless you both.

Counseling is only as good as you want to make it, even then it is still not guranteed. It actually caused more problems for us, which ended in divorce.

Looking back, I would recommend the seperation, it will put things in perspective, allow you both to focus on yourselves, faults and positive traits.

I have been there, and know how you feel. The one advantage to this, you realize how much of the trivial stuff one gets upset over is hardly worth it. Best of Luck, if it does not work, take what you can out of it to better yourself.

AAflyer

Pick up the book Love languages by Gary Chapman. I have been married 25 years and women just need love, but we need to know how to love.The divorce rate between Christians and non-Christians or religious people is the same, hang in there you'll make it. By the way every marriage goes through a rough time every 5 years, you'll make it as you already have a broken spirit.

Vavso and religious wife

Frankly, I can see where Vavso is coming from. I have a relative who is a religous fanatic and this person is very difficult to deal with. She is always trying to re-convert my uncle, a happy Protestant back to Catholicism, which I think is wrong. Leave him alone, let him be--religion is personal anyway! And this is AMERICA, a country of religious freedom and diversity.

I would not appreciate having a spouse turn into a religious fanatic and would not hesitate walk out on someone who became one. I have my religious beliefs but I do feel that others have a right to have their own beliefs. Religious fanatics are not easy to live with. I know. They are obnoxious and carry things to an extreme even with routine issues of daily living. Even counselling would not stop me from leaving a once-happy spouse who turned unexpectedly into a fanatic.

Re: Vavso and religious wife

kilomike said:
Frankly, I can see where Vavso is coming from. I have a relative who is a religous fanatic and this person is very difficult to deal with. She is always trying to re-convert my uncle, a happy Protestant back to Catholicism, which I think is wrong. Leave him alone, let him be--religion is personal anyway! And this is AMERICA, a country of religious freedom and diversity.

I would not appreciate having a spouse turn into a religious fanatic and would not hesitate walk out on someone who became one. I have my religious beliefs but I do feel that others have a right to have their own beliefs. Religious fanatics are not easy to live with. I know. They are obnoxious and carry things to an extreme even with routine issues of daily living. Even counselling would not stop me from leaving a once-happy spouse who turned unexpectedly into a fanatic.

Excellent view point and you are 100% correct.

I would say that this board is no place to go and find emotional support it is a great place to get ideas and see another point of view. To say that this doesn't belong on this board--hogwash--. I have been in aviation all my life and I have never seen and experienced such moral and emotional void that I have seen in the airlines. The divorce rate is unbelievable and happens quite often, many, many, times. How to have a family and have a career in this business is a real challange and very serious. I have yet to see any real answers and just when your own marriage seems intact you go through another crisis. I just finished a trip with an old, old EAL flight attentant named Teddy(78 years old). He lost his wife 8 years ago, he told me he didn't appreciate what he had until she was gone after 38 years of marriage. He said all his life in his mind he was too busy chasing other FA's or whatever. Now he is free to chase and has no desire to. How do we appreciate and be satisfied in life with what we have????I am still working on that.

Last edited:
Hang in there...

Capt. B.,

I am terribly sorry to hear about your situation. I can't speak from experience, but I can say that I have sympathy for you.

I've been together with my wife for 5 years now and I am grateful that I have the loving relationship that I do. Not being religious, I can't say that God has blessed me with a good marriage. I have to believe that what makes our marriage work is both my wife and myself have mutual respect for each other and we believe in the the vows we took when we got married.

Now then... My advice to you is:

1. Definitely get some counseling from a therapist, religious cleric, support group, etc., it doesn't matter. If you can establish communication between you and your spouse, there is still a chance.

2. Listen and respect what your wife has to say. I'm not saying that you haven't done that already, but it sounds like she has to have her feelings validated from you.

3. Ask her if she still loves you. This is very important. There cannot be a meaningful marriage without love from both sides. She may not like what you have turned into but, nonetheless, she still may love you.

4. Do not trade happiness for change. If you cannot be happy with yourself by "changing your ways", how do you expect to have a happy marriage?

Quote from Capt. Buzzard: "I love her more than life itself, I just haven't been able to show her for a while."

5. If you get an opportunity, SHOW HER, YOU DUMB B^STARD!!!! Actions speak louder than words.

6. No matter what happens, you will be a better man because of it. If you do get back together, make sure both of you have truly learned from your experience and your marriage will stronger than it has ever been.

If you really love your wife, I hope that you can have the courage and conviction to do whatever it takes to see that both of you are happy. I wish you the best and I hope everything will work out in the end.

Keep the blue side up,

Dr. Skyking, Psychiatrist

Excellent, excellent post Dr Phil! ...erm, I mean Dr Skyking ;)

If she still loves you, and if you have the balls to make amends, she will forgive you. A woman in love is still a malleable creature... even ice can be sculpted.

My heart goes out to you Buzz,
scout

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back