Sacrifice AA sen.# for AWA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hoss

Well, I've pretty much made up my mind, but figured I'd post this to get some other opinions.

Currently, I'm furloughed from AA...had the opportunity to fly for them a whole 3 weeks after IOE, before getting the pink slip. Obviously, I'm one of the guys that was hired after the TWA staple. It's gonna be a long long time before I have the opportunity to get back.

I'll be interviewing at America West next week, and have decided that I will bail out on my hopes at American Airlines if I get the job.

My main reasons for this are:
1) Like I said before, it's gonna be a long wait for AA.
2) If/when I get recalled, it'll most likely be for a domicile very far from PHX (live in TUS now). It's sure a lot easier to drive 100 miles north than fly out to Boston or Miami every week.
3) I could possibly be getting close to holding left-seat at AWA by the time AA gets to the bottom of the recall list.
4) Things are bad at American now, and they will probably just get worse from here.

Thoughts? Thanks.. -Hoss

Quality of life = easy decision

Hoss:

I feel for you. You seem to have a grasp on the situation and a part-time gig in the ANG in the State where you live. If you could land a job flying Part 121 in your home state for a seniority number that may not do you any good for a decade or more, not to mention CH 11, force manuer, the one list, etc., I would do it in a hart beat. No commuter pad/car, live at home with the family, pass priveldges again, etc.

I worked for AA and AE for 8 years (Flight Attendant AA, Pilot AE). I flew for TWA for 3800 hours over a six year period and am just slightly senior to you at 40 years old. I just lost my passes after 90 days of furlough. It is the first time I have been without passes/jumpseat since 1989. I have a lot of history with AMR and for a shot like you may be able to take, I would trade it all in.

I wish you the best of luck. Two flying jobs in your home state, not bad!

Jeff

To everyone: Hoss and I were in the same new-hire class at AA. I'm five seniority numbers lower though... bummer, eh? hah! He's already aware of my take on the pathetic situation at our "greAAt" ex-airline.

Hoss: GO TO THE CACTUS INTERVIEW! GET THE JOB! Then you can write me a LOR and we'll raise Cain in Phoenix! lateron bub.

IMHO... A number at a major is like a lottery ticket. You can hold onto it and dream of what could be, or you can toss it and get on with your life. I tossed mine at USAir....Good luck

Last edited:
Congratulations on your opportunity with AWA. I had an excellent experience once as a passenger enroute back to my base in Hawaii wearing the usual attire for the trip. Shorts, cool Hawaiian shirt etc... I had a A/C change in Phoenix and then on to LAX to swap to United for the hop over to the islands. The trip was suddenly stopped due to a mechanical and back to the gate we went, with no hesitation I quickly got off the plane and hurried to the next ticket counter only to find the other flight, full.

I asked if I could speak to the Capt. and they treated me as if I was part of the company. I ended up on the jump seat looking as though I was headed to the beach (which, indeed I was). I'll never forget the short ride to LAX and the crew that got me there.
I guess I still have a paid ride from PHX to LAX somewhere in their database.

Go for it and forget about American. People put too much emphasis on the Major's as the definition of success.

Good Luck

standby one

Hoss,

If you haven't exhausted all options in order not to give up that seniority number, please consider doing so. That's, of course, if you're relatively young(less than 40 maybe?) and conclude that working for a major airline(even with possible retirement package adjustments- still better than AWA in long run is my guess) would be best for you and yours career wise.

But then again if Tucson is your hard and fast home, may be better to stay close. Commuting to Dallas or where ever for multiple years would be cruel and unusual punishment for most people.

Anyway, all the best.

P.S. Other day saw hedge fund manager interviewed(recognized him as a surviver over the years) said he'd just bought a bunch of AMR common stock. Cautioned, of course, that it was an extremely risky decision, but that these risky, yet carefully calculated bets can return 2 to 5 times+ your investment. Remember billionare Kirk Kerkorian many years ago bought a ton of Chrysler common for almost nothing per share(maybe a few dollars-can't recall) and made an obscene amount of money over the next couple of years. These investors consult big league world event quessers, etc. and this guy's move suggests to me that more folks may be looking past the doom and gloom scenarios to a recovery before long. We shall see.

Thanks for all the advice everyone; confirmed the feeling I already had in my gut. Sorry I didn't have the time to PM everyone that sent me a message.

Hopefully things will work out at AWA, but if not, that's just the way the ball bounces. Who knows if they'll be around in five years, but then again, who knows if American will be around either. The next 5-10 years in the airline business are guaranteed to be very "interesting". I think the whole airline structure as we know it will change dramatically. Considering quality of life issues, the current "Big 3" will probably no longer be the best places to work. Who knows. Anyways, best of luck to everyone out there doing the job hunt, and thanks for reading.

Hoss

Hoss,

IF you live in Tucson and are currently out of a job, go for AWA. They are probably not going away and they could even be absorbed by a Major if that eventually happens. You probably will still get a call from AA eventually, and if times are better for them you can go back. AWA's pay is not bad and you get to live and fly in paradise. I was always hoping that Delta would buy AWA so I could live out west in the heat, but I don't see anyone buying anything right now. Go for AWA and enjoy the Mexican food in PHX and TUS.

Bye Bye---General Lee:cool:

With the way APA caves on seniority integrations you may end up in a better number when AA buys AWA. Good luck bro.

Latest resources

Back