SAAB 340 vs. other regional props

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WSurf said:
No Riddle here! My post should have given that away! You aviation nerds wouldn't know Sarcasm if someone pulled it out of there pants and slapped you in the forehead with it!! IT WAS A FUNNY!!!! Now go put that airline uniform on, poke your chest out and tell everyone you make 16k a year!

Take this test to see if your a real airline pilot!!! LOL!!
http://www.winterrowd.com/maze.swf
Must be a corporate B!tch.
And my gut sticks out not my chest.
How is it laying around like a slob at FBOs all day?

The turboprops that I have flown the most are the DHC8-100 and the SF340 (A,B & B+ models). If I was to pick between the two it would be the dash hands down. System wise it has much more redundancy, larger cockpit, better weight hauler, quieter, APU and better approach speeds. On the other hand, the Saab has an outstanding safety record, and is much easier to land consistently than the Dash. The Saab is faster than the dash-100. Used to average about 250-255 KTAS in our 100's, and this time of the year the B+ saabs true around 290-295. I'm not so sure that is a good things though as I'm paid by the hour. Now the SAAB in summer, with a good load and anti-ice on, 230 KTAS for the A model. I think performance wise the dash is much more consistant and doesn't vary nearly as much as the SAAB does with temperature changes. Bottom line both get the job done, but the best description that I have heard comparing the two came from one of our union reps years ago. To him it seemed that Dehavilland took part 25 as a starting point, and designed an aircraft to exceed these minimum design criteria in all ways. SAAB took the part 25 certification requirements as a goal, and deisgned an aircraft to meet those requirements....barely.

sbn340mech said:
Now for an accurate refrence to a real plane look at the B727.

A plane that requires pilots, not systems interface technicians.

Dream a little dream... now that's a work of art. I understand that the FE ride on the 727 was/is the measure of how hard a checkride really can be.

trainer8 said:
Snaab,

Enjoy the flying you are doing in the SAAB and rack up the experience. The SAAB is a proven aircraft, a solid instrument platform, and has a good track record. It's safe, and will bring you home.

Comparisons? Faster than a Dash-8-100; equal in speed to the 200/300. Much louder in the cabin.

Better than the 1900C/D and the J31/32/41 for pax comfort. Dash beats them all for cabin comfort and overhead luggage space, (except for those old PDT birds w/small overhead bins).

Q400 is awesome. The Horizon guys on this site could tell you more. I've run the IP panel in the Q400 Sim at FS in YYZ and it seems to be a very nice machine.

Best wishes. Fly safe.

Thank you, Trainer. I'm enjoying the Saab, and like to hear how it fairs among the crowd. Some people on this board unfortunately have to turn every thread into a pissing contest, not what I intended. I've been a couple of your E-170s- now that's a nice bird. Good luck to you!

Snaab

The 340 has to better than the J-32!! At least you don't have to be the FA/FO!!! How I don't miss the scream of a Garrett!

I miss "winding up the rubber bands" after blocking in 6 times a day on the 41 back at ACA.

The 41 was cool, but keep me away from Garretts for as long as I live. Three engine failures in a year and a half is just not what I signed up for.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back