SAAB 340 vs. other regional props

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WMUSIGPI said:
Actually it was General Motors that hat them, 3 to be exact. All were sold to and are currently operated by Hendric's motorsports. (Nascar team)

Ah, thanks for the correction. I recalled that it was one of the automakers that had the 2000 for a while.

TCAS said:
SAAB... A four letter Swedish word that means "broken down again!"

SAAB-Swedes Ain't Airplane Builders
SAAB-Send Another Airplane for Bags

The 4 2000's in the US all belong to Nascar Teams...3 with Hendrick Motosports N511RH, N509RH, N508RH and 1 with Joe Gibbs Racing N519JG all are based in Concord, NC at KJQF

I've piloted the ATR72 (aka "the cloud plow") and J41. Both good airplanes to fly but I would say the 41 was more fun,responsive and relatively fast, the ATR more stable (approaches) roomy. Both are loud as hell on the ground but atleast the ATR gets quieter once airborne...those damn garretts on the 41 are insane! Neither has an APU so very hot inside and ground support intensive.
As for pax side of a/c I've been in the back of Dashes (all but Q400), J41, J32, ATR42 &72, Saab 340, D328, Shorts 360, B1900.
In terms of overall comfort they would be in this order:
D328..........as quiet as a dash and comfy seats
Dashes.......quiet and roomy (although the ECS system likes to rain on you)
ATR72/42....most roomy seats (width) and next on the quiet list
Shorts360...Come on, it's a box so comfy but loud (louder than the saab)
Saab340.....Gettin loud but bareable and the seats are getting tight
J41/32........Louder and more cramped....Very hot in the back!
B1900.........The loudest T-prop I've been inside and seats very uncomfy.

Snaab said:
I fly the Saab and was curious how it compares to other regional turboprops in terms of performance, comfort, etc. I've only been a PAX on the Dash-8 100/200/300 and Jetstream 41. From what I've read, the Dash Q400 and Saab 2000 seem to be cutting edge in the prop arena. Btw, anyone on here every flown the Saab 2000??

To me, the SF-340 is well-mannered, forgiving, and very stable. Power in the "B" is certainly adequate (but not ass-kicking), while I think think the "A" feels underpowered. Pitch and roll is stiff in the "B" but controls feel lighter in the "A." The Saab doesn't slow down quickly, especially with the slick Hamilton Standard props. As far as comfort goes, I think it's every bit as comfortable as a Dash and certainly more so than the J-bird. Noise in the Dash and Saab seem about the same in the cabin. The J-bird seemed cramped and loud, but felt fast.

Just curious how my bird compares to the "competition." Discuss!

Snaab
Snaab,

Enjoy the flying you are doing in the SAAB and rack up the experience. The SAAB is a proven aircraft, a solid instrument platform, and has a good track record. It's safe, and will bring you home.

Comparisons? Faster than a Dash-8-100; equal in speed to the 200/300. Much louder in the cabin.

Better than the 1900C/D and the J31/32/41 for pax comfort. Dash beats them all for cabin comfort and overhead luggage space, (except for those old PDT birds w/small overhead bins).

Q400 is awesome. The Horizon guys on this site could tell you more. I've run the IP panel in the Q400 Sim at FS in YYZ and it seems to be a very nice machine.

Best wishes. Fly safe.

T8

I'm enjoying the ATR. Nothing like putting 45+ passengers on board with lots of bags and taking off from a shorter strip. She becomes a pig in the low to mid teens, but you can land her damn near anywhere. Incredibly stable on approach. Flares like a Cessna 182.

No one's mentioned the A models ATR-72s (six blade Hamiltons). They're pretty quiet. Same power as the regular 72, though (2750 shp per side).

She's hot on the ground, but you do have the option of using the prop brake (I've never used it cause our company deactivated them to save money).

well i can't speak for the cockpit of any other plane besides the dash, but as far as deadheading.... i'l pick a dash over a an RJ any day.... if you are over 5'6" you have to sit with your head crooked, if you want to look outside it's just very uncomfortable....

the dash is very roomy- all the head room you could ask for, leg space (even in non exit rows)... sit in the back and it's not that loud...

Sinca3 said:
I've piloted the ATR72 (aka "the cloud plow") and J41. Both good airplanes to fly but I would say the 41 was more fun,responsive and relatively fast, the ATR more stable (approaches) roomy. Both are loud as hell on the ground but atleast the ATR gets quieter once airborne...those dang garretts on the 41 are insane! Neither has an APU so very hot inside and ground support intensive.
As for pax side of a/c I've been in the back of Dashes (all but Q400), J41, J32, ATR42 &72, Saab 340, D328, Shorts 360, B1900.
In terms of overall comfort they would be in this order:
D328..........as quiet as a dash and comfy seats
Dashes.......quiet and roomy (although the ECS system likes to rain on you)
ATR72/42....most roomy seats (width) and next on the quiet list
Shorts360...Come on, it's a box so comfy but loud (louder than the saab)
Saab340.....Gettin loud but bareable and the seats are getting tight
J41/32........Louder and more cramped....Very hot in the back!
B1900.........The loudest T-prop I've been inside and seats very uncomfy.

The ECS in the Dash doesn't rain at all. That was the 6 mo. old sitting behind you puking up breast milk.

This smacks of an airliners.net Airbus vs. Boeing thread, but I relish a good turboprop debate so here it goes.

Used to fly the ATR-42/72:
A good airplane all around. I never remember having much a problem carrying bags, fuel and people, especially in the -72. The big fuel tanks were a very big plus, 11,000 lbs in the -72 if I recall correctly. I never recall being in a sticky fuel state at any rate. Easy to fly, lands like a wet dream on satin sheets. Minuses? Lethargic climb rate, the electrical system is some kind of monstrosity dreamed up in Dr. Frankensteins lab, the heat on the ground. I remember having to use all kinds of rediculous speeds... Vmlb0? Vmhb15? WTF?

Currently flying the Dash:
A fantastic airplane, IMHO. Short runways, LAHSO, absolutely no sweat. Carries more ice than is at the north pole. Bullet proof, easy to learn systems. Roomy flight deck, reasonable quiet. Easy to fly, but not to land smoothly... Sort of like jumping off of a three story building onto your peg leg. Complaints? Wish there was a cable back up on the rudder. It is hydraulic only, and that is the only weak system IMHO (even with the rudder iso valve mod). I'd love some more fuel, 5678 is a bit marginal on a long leg with a distant alternate (anyone remember the fuel stops on BGR-PHL?).

Thats the only airplanes I have actually flown... Riding in the SAAB is loud, but O.K. otherwise. The 1900 is truck but not so comfy. It gets you where you want to go, I suppose. Use to find the J32 very interesting. The passengers seemed to enjoy the lack of a yaw damper.

WSurf said:
You gotta be a new hire, jeezzzz!! Who cares, if you pull back the houses get smaller.... push forward they get bigger!! Hmmmm and if you pull back and the house get smaller, and continue to pull back.... well you will soon see the houses getting bigger again at a faster rate.
That about sums up flying! If you grasp that concept all you folks are now pilots......
WOW, that's original!!!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back