s.r. 65 implications

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cyclone

The Burns substitute to S. 65 requires the FAA to implement a standard recommended by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) which would allow pilots to continue to work up until their 65th birthday. Under this proposal, the co-pilot on a commercial flight would have to be under age 60.

if approved...why would any f.o. in his right mind agree to fly with an over 60 captain essentially "sitting in his seat."

i hope this doesn't pass. if it does expect first officers to unite..count on many excercising "refuse to fly" with the 60+ group...and it would be the right choice...why should they have to work harder to babysit someone who is taking away from them and making their job harder?

If the older pilot needs to have somebody younger than 60 to fly with, it seems to me that the law is admitting that there is a safety issue with the over 60 person flying. The logic escapes me.

If the over 60 pilot needs a baby sitter why should we even bother? I wonder if the FAA will endorse this logic or attempt to lobby against the bill.

To me it seems that they are shooting themselves in the foot by "qualifying" the ability of the over 60 pilot to be in the cockpit.

I still hope that this doesn't pass the full Senate and House.

FJ

I don't think it shot them in the foot. All they did was copy the ICAO rule which is changing next year. I think they did that so it would pass, follow the leader type thing. Stand alone, it probably would be longer then next year to pass, but amend it to copy the already passed ICAO and much of the debating subsides. We'll see now if it passes.

The FAA dude that gave us a line check the other day, who is 79 years old (go figure) who is current on the panel and flying the 727 (because he told us) says "it will never change". Looks like life is good working in the FAA @ 79 years old!

There you go SWA/FO! The old guys are always complaining that there is no other flying they could do in order to fund their court decrees and mortgages.

Now we can plainly see at least 2 other flying career paths for those past 60. Corporate and the FAA. Just get the heII of the way for those who have been furloughed for the past 4 years.

By the way, I am old and I have no desire to fly past 60 nor do I want to ride on an airliner piloted by someone over 60.

Just my opinion. I hope the bill fails in the full house and senate.

FJ

Falconjet- Since all the pay scales are rolling back that extra 5 years can mean a lot. Retiring at 60 was great on the old pay scales and pensions but those days are over. Maybe you are just senile and haven't noticed the change in the industry.

PS- Would you fly in a G-V flown by a retired pilot aged 61?

All you guys who want your pilots to retire at age 60, get it in your union contract. Make the company force those old guys out who are stealing your seats.

Latest resources

Back