Russian Aircraft in the United States

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AbOvo

Anyone know why you pretty much never see Russian aircraft in the US? I have seen the AN-124 and 224 in the US but you rarely if ever see anything else.

I assume they may not have RVSM but is there some other airworthiness issue with the TU-134s, AN-70, and such?

Yes I do realize a lot of the Russian aircraft are way behind in electronics technology and somewhat craptastic from a passenger standpoint. There are however some pretty large Russian corporate aircraft.

Anyone know why you pretty much never see Russian aircraft in the US? I have seen the AN-124 and 224 in the US but you rarely if ever see anything else.

I assume they may not have RVSM but is there some other airworthiness issue with the TU-134s, AN-70, and such?

Yes I do realize a lot of the Russian aircraft are way behind in electronics technology and somewhat craptastic from a passenger standpoint. There are however some pretty large Russian corporate aircraft.

Well, the An-70 is still not in series production and when it is, it will likely only be in military service, so you probably won't see it, except at AFBs. I have seen Russian Government aircraft at BOS (Il-62M, Il-96). The -134 is slowly becoming a relic with fewer and fewer being in use even in Russia, so...

Yes I forgot the AN-70 has been experimental for the last ten years. Look like a neat airplane and they say it has near jet speeds.

The panel on the -134 certainly looks ancient!

I don't think any of the aircraft ever received US type certificates.

I think other than a few of the AN-124's operated by Volka Denpr or whatever the real spelling is, unless it's a Boeing or Airbus built Aeroflot plane you likely aren't going to see it flying passengers/freight over the USA. There are plenty of USSR/Russian built planes flying out of Cuba but they usually don't pass through US airspace and I don't think ever over the US land. (see flightaware.com, MUHA as the airport ident)

The ones I know of (AN-2, Mi 8, Mi 24, etc.) are registered as experimental and used for military support such as disimilar training. So I guess they're being used commercially, but only on contract to Uncle Sam, not hauling pax or cargo.

I think other than a few of the AN-124's operated by Volka Denpr or whatever the real spelling is, unless it's a Boeing or Airbus built Aeroflot plane you likely aren't going to see it flying passengers/freight over the USA. There are plenty of USSR/Russian built planes flying out of Cuba but they usually don't pass through US airspace and I don't think ever over the US land. (see flightaware.com, MUHA as the airport ident)

Except for this one... http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CUB9180

Russians

AN-26's and AN-12 flying out of the airport North of MIA flown by Russians.
USAF has one or two IL-76's.

Guyana Air flew a TU-154 to JFK in the 80's.

Guyana Air flew a TU-154 to JFK in the 80's.

As I recall, those were actually Tarom aircraft, they had Romanian tail #s for sure, YR-something.

Latest resources

Back