• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Russian Aircraft in the United States

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As I recall, those were actually Tarom aircraft, they had Romanian tail #s for sure, YR-something.
Cool ! I didn't know that. The Tupolev was an extremely rare sight at JFK.

JFK sees head of state TU's and IL's on a pretty regular basis, would imagine IAD does as well.

Always love it when the Iranians show up in their B747 SP, ohh the irony!

As I recall, those were actually Tarom aircraft, they had Romanian tail #s for sure, YR-something

How do you remember some tails/flights more than 20 years ago?

How do you remember some tails/flights more than 20 years ago?

Trust me, there are times when having a near-photographic memory really sucks. This is one of them.

Trust me, there are times when having a near-photographic memory really sucks. This is one of them.

Still it must be more to that. I don't even know who the hell Tarom is. or YR tails! You must have been ectremly young then, with only 2600 hrs?

TAROM ,the Romanian state airline,flew a mix of Soviet and Western equipment. In '99,I saw one of their last 707-320C's fly into KYIP with a load of automotive cargo from Hamburg,Germany, that was the last working 707 I've seen,other than some Omega tankers,and John Travoltas beautiful V bird.

Still it must be more to that. I don't even know who the hell Tarom is. or YR tails! You must have been ectremly young then, with only 2600 hrs?

I was about 13 when I last saw a Guyana/Tarom -154. I was a pimply aviation geek back then. The pimples are gone now.

I was about 13 when I last saw a Guyana/Tarom -154. I was a pimply aviation geek back then. The pimples are gone now.

Now that you metioned it, I remember flying east coast during about that time and I heard on the radio ATC asking a strange aircraft for speed. The answer was Mach .92. Because of the heavy accent we thought it was a mistake instead of Mach .82. I remember someone asked what kind of plane was that. The guy said TU-154 and I, being an a#$, replied " The Ruskies are coming, the Ruskies are coming". Thanks Kid for bringing back old memories.

Latest resources

Back