• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Russian Aircraft in the United States

AbOvo

Total Time
Anyone know why you pretty much never see Russian aircraft in the US? I have seen the AN-124 and 224 in the US but you rarely if ever see anything else.

I assume they may not have RVSM but is there some other airworthiness issue with the TU-134s, AN-70, and such?

Yes I do realize a lot of the Russian aircraft are way behind in electronics technology and somewhat craptastic from a passenger standpoint. There are however some pretty large Russian corporate aircraft.

flyboyike

Urban Legend/Rural Myth
Total Time
Anyone know why you pretty much never see Russian aircraft in the US? I have seen the AN-124 and 224 in the US but you rarely if ever see anything else.

I assume they may not have RVSM but is there some other airworthiness issue with the TU-134s, AN-70, and such?

Yes I do realize a lot of the Russian aircraft are way behind in electronics technology and somewhat craptastic from a passenger standpoint. There are however some pretty large Russian corporate aircraft.

Well, the An-70 is still not in series production and when it is, it will likely only be in military service, so you probably won't see it, except at AFBs. I have seen Russian Government aircraft at BOS (Il-62M, Il-96). The -134 is slowly becoming a relic with fewer and fewer being in use even in Russia, so...

AbOvo

Total Time
Yes I forgot the AN-70 has been experimental for the last ten years. Look like a neat airplane and they say it has near jet speeds.

The panel on the -134 certainly looks ancient!

TWA

Total Time
I don't think any of the aircraft ever received US type certificates.

WMUSIGPI

The $100,000,000 Question
Total Time
5000+
I think other than a few of the AN-124's operated by Volka Denpr or whatever the real spelling is, unless it's a Boeing or Airbus built Aeroflot plane you likely aren't going to see it flying passengers/freight over the USA. There are plenty of USSR/Russian built planes flying out of Cuba but they usually don't pass through US airspace and I don't think ever over the US land. (see flightaware.com, MUHA as the airport ident)

Be 23

Total Time
The ones I know of (AN-2, Mi 8, Mi 24, etc.) are registered as experimental and used for military support such as disimilar training. So I guess they're being used commercially, but only on contract to Uncle Sam, not hauling pax or cargo.

DrProc

Total Time
I think other than a few of the AN-124's operated by Volka Denpr or whatever the real spelling is, unless it's a Boeing or Airbus built Aeroflot plane you likely aren't going to see it flying passengers/freight over the USA. There are plenty of USSR/Russian built planes flying out of Cuba but they usually don't pass through US airspace and I don't think ever over the US land. (see flightaware.com, MUHA as the airport ident)

Except for this one... http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CUB9180

maxfly1

Total Time
11K+
Russians

AN-26's and AN-12 flying out of the airport North of MIA flown by Russians.
USAF has one or two IL-76's.

727C47

Total Time
14k+
Guyana Air flew a TU-154 to JFK in the 80's.

flyboyike

Urban Legend/Rural Myth
Total Time
Guyana Air flew a TU-154 to JFK in the 80's.

As I recall, those were actually Tarom aircraft, they had Romanian tail #s for sure, YR-something.

flyboyike

Urban Legend/Rural Myth
Total Time

727C47

Total Time
14k+
As I recall, those were actually Tarom aircraft, they had Romanian tail #s for sure, YR-something.
Cool ! I didn't know that. The Tupolev was an extremely rare sight at JFK.

Dizel8

Douglas metal
Total Time
Huh?
JFK sees head of state TU's and IL's on a pretty regular basis, would imagine IAD does as well.

Always love it when the Iranians show up in their B747 SP, ohh the irony!

countbat

Alea Jacta Est
Total Time
Enough
As I recall, those were actually Tarom aircraft, they had Romanian tail #s for sure, YR-something

How do you remember some tails/flights more than 20 years ago?

flyboyike

Urban Legend/Rural Myth
Total Time
How do you remember some tails/flights more than 20 years ago?

Trust me, there are times when having a near-photographic memory really sucks. This is one of them.

countbat

Alea Jacta Est
Total Time
Enough
Trust me, there are times when having a near-photographic memory really sucks. This is one of them.

Still it must be more to that. I don't even know who the hell Tarom is. or YR tails! You must have been ectremly young then, with only 2600 hrs?

727C47

Total Time
14k+
TAROM ,the Romanian state airline,flew a mix of Soviet and Western equipment. In '99,I saw one of their last 707-320C's fly into KYIP with a load of automotive cargo from Hamburg,Germany, that was the last working 707 I've seen,other than some Omega tankers,and John Travoltas beautiful V bird.

flyboyike

Urban Legend/Rural Myth
Total Time
Still it must be more to that. I don't even know who the hell Tarom is. or YR tails! You must have been ectremly young then, with only 2600 hrs?

I was about 13 when I last saw a Guyana/Tarom -154. I was a pimply aviation geek back then. The pimples are gone now.

countbat

Alea Jacta Est
Total Time
Enough
I was about 13 when I last saw a Guyana/Tarom -154. I was a pimply aviation geek back then. The pimples are gone now.

Now that you metioned it, I remember flying east coast during about that time and I heard on the radio ATC asking a strange aircraft for speed. The answer was Mach .92. Because of the heavy accent we thought it was a mistake instead of Mach .82. I remember someone asked what kind of plane was that. The guy said TU-154 and I, being an a#$, replied " The Ruskies are coming, the Ruskies are coming". Thanks Kid for bringing back old memories.