• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mike man

Funk Master Flex
The National Transportation Safety Board is
investigating a runway incursion Friday evening in
Allentown, Pennsylvania involving a general aviation
aircraft and a Chicago-bound regional jet airliner.

At 7:45 p.m. on September 19, a Cessna R172K (N736GV) was on a landing roll on runway 6 at the Lehigh Valley International Airport when the pilot was instructed to exit the runway at taxiway A4. Mesa Airlines flight XXXX, a CRJ-700 (NXXXMJ), already instructed to position and hold on the same runway, was then given clearance by the same controllerto take off.

During the takeoff roll, the Mesa crew heard the Cessna pilot say that he'd missed the taxiway A4 turnoff and ask to exit at taxiway B. The Mesa crew saw the Cessna ahead on the runway and aborted the takeoff at about 120 knots, swerving around the Cessna. The Mesa crew estimated
that they missed colliding with the Cessna by about 10 feet.

Night visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and there were no reported injuries to the 60 persons aboard the jet or those aboard the Cessna.

So was it IMC and visibility at like 600 rvr? Other wise this crew should have never started the roll if they could see the plane that just landed. Another great mesa story!

If it happened the way this article describes, that was a controller error.

From FAA Order 7110.65R:

3−9−5. ANTICIPATING SEPARATION
Takeoff clearance needs not be withheld until prescribed separation exists if there is a reasonable assurance it will exist when the aircraft starts takeoff roll.

Unless the local controller saw the Cessna turn off the runway, it was inappropriate to issue the takeoff clearance.

So was it IMC and visibility at like 600 rvr? Another great mesa story!

Yes. That's exactly what "night visual meteorological conditions prevailed" means. :rolleyes:

Good job to the Mesa crew for keeping situation awareness. Had this happened in Montreal with half the traffic speaking French, I think it would have turned out very differently.

So was it IMC and visibility at like 600 rvr? Other wise this crew should have never started the roll if they could see the plane that just landed. Another great mesa story!

Basically, I want you to read what you just wrote to yourself. Read it a few times, actually. Now I want you to think about it... think about how absolutely stupid it sounds. Are you there yet? Okay, I'll wait...

Mesa sucks but this particular flight crew did a great job, 76 people are still alive tonight.

Latest resources

Back