• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Runway Incursion...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I bet even if an airliner hits a 172 on the runway going 120, the 172 gets obliterated but the airliner escapes without blowing up. Like hitting a cardboard box on the highway.

If youre on a country road and you are forced to decide between hitting a deer or an oncoming truck, you hit the deer........I'd consider plowing through a 172 instead of lifting off early and stalling OR swerving and sticking a wing in the ground. There's 50 plus of us, and only 1 of him.

you cannot compare a car driving down a country road to a crj taking off a runway

the same way you cannot compare a cardboard box to a 172

here's your sign

you cannot compare a car driving down a country road to a crj taking off a runway

the same way you cannot compare a cardboard box to a 172

here's your sign

Agreed!

Deer on a country road are not typically filled with highly explosive avgas.

What a dumda$$.

Ok, after finally finding the airport diagram and looking at it, I'm having a hard time understanding how this happens. This had nothing to do with intersecting runways or LAHSO. As the cessna crossed the threshold, the RJ was put in position on the same runway that the cessna was landing on. The cessna was told to take A4, but didn't. So it was still on the runway the RJ was cleared to takeoff on and attempting to exit at B which was about 3000 feet from the threshold.
How can you advance the throttles and take off on a runway with a plane at your 12 o'clock, 3000 feet in front of you? Something must have been distracting the RJ crew for them to totally lose SA like this.

Could have been a slope in the runway preventing them from seeing the Cessna. Maybe the Cessna's lights weren't on or just merged with the other lights-cessna nav lights aren't that big and maybe he didn't have strobes or taxi lights on. The point is that a multitude of things could have caused this and not just one person is at fault.

We can't simply listen to our call sign and the controller. We should always be trying to figure out what is happening around us. It's amazing to me when I ask the FO about another a/c of concern's position and they have no idea the a/c even exists. I know they have a lot to listen to. Are we still looking at crossing runways when we takeoff or land at KORD. We need to look out for ourselves.

I agree 100%. Its easy to loose SA in the radar environment. Its handholding at its finest. Most of my flying the past 2 yrs has been bouncing around overseas in the non radar environment where the English language is an issue for most. Transponders also seem to be optional for some carriers... You have no choice but to play ATC from the cockpit if you want to be safe. Even in the radar environment people make mistakes (as in the topic of this thread) which makes it a good idea to know whats going on!

This has always been an issue I had with the PHX tower guys. They clear a cactus/SWA for take off and ask if you have it in sight. you say yes. They then clear you for take off. At this point the Cactus is just starting to roll down the runway.
I would hold in position until the Airbus/737 was off the ground before hitt'n the power. Tower is bitch'n at us to get going. Now if the Cactus had a RTO and we were rolling when ATC cleared us, we'd rear end em. So I see this as a wide spread ATC problem that might need looking into.

Anyone else who's spend some time in and out of PHX has also seen this practice.

Latest resources

Back