• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Runway Incursion...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I bet even if an airliner hits a 172 on the runway going 120, the 172 gets obliterated but the airliner escapes without blowing up. Like hitting a cardboard box on the highway.

If youre on a country road and you are forced to decide between hitting a deer or an oncoming truck, you hit the deer........I'd consider plowing through a 172 instead of lifting off early and stalling OR swerving and sticking a wing in the ground. There's 50 plus of us, and only 1 of him.

Please...PLEASE tell me there is a cessna "121" out there that you are the "Captain" of. You are not a Part 121 Captain. No. I can't...I refuse to believe it. God help your ______ (parents/boyfriend/poodle.)

W = Whamboozeled (sp?)

I bet even if an airliner hits a 172 on the runway going 120, the 172 gets obliterated but the airliner escapes without blowing up. Like hitting a cardboard box on the highway.

If youre on a country road and you are forced to decide between hitting a deer or an oncoming truck, you hit the deer........I'd consider plowing through a 172 instead of lifting off early and stalling OR swerving and sticking a wing in the ground. There's 50 plus of us, and only 1 of him.

:eek:

WOW.

I've heard of armchair quaterbacking, OFMG.

Ramming a CRJ into a C-172 wing full of av-gas and ingesting the fuel and disintegrating parts into two CF-34 engines that are (presumably) operating in max reverse is like "running into a cardboard box on the highway?"

Uh, no thanks. I don't think I'd EVER consider a collision the better of several bad choices. That's just me though.

They did good they didn't hit the other plane and nobody died end of story. I can't believe the Monday morning quarterbacking. Crap happens and they reacted the right way and who said hit the plane that is the stupidest response I ever heard.

The Mesa crew saw the Cessna ahead on the runway and aborted the takeoff at about 120 knots, swerving around the Cessna.

The Mesa crew estimated that they missed colliding with the Cessna by about 10 feet.

Gutsiest move I ever saw.

(10 points for Top Gun reference) :D

Maybe Myth Busters can do a show on the outcome of a CRJ hitting a 172. Im sure they can find a nice sacraficial CRJ to throw Buster in soon enough!

Sounds sort of similar to this one:
On August 28, 2008, at approximately 9:07 pm Pacific daylight time, a runway incursion occurred involving N9219T, a Piper PA-46, and SkyWest (SKW) flight 69R, a Canadair CRJ2 at Fresno Yosemite International Airport, Fresno, California. At the time of the incident a single controller was in the tower cab (developmental controller--certified on all tower positions and one position in the radar facility), responsible for 3 aircraft. The PA-46 landed on runway 29R and was unable to exit the runway on high speed taxiway B3 so the pilot continued to taxiway B5, an unlit taxiway. The tower controller saw the aircraft's landing light veer toward the taxiway so he cleared the CRJ to land on 29R. PA46 was still on the runway, the CRJ pilot saw the PA46 and went to the right side of the runway to miss the PA-46. The CRJ pilot reported they missed colliding by 15 feet, wingtip to wingtip.

The incident occurred during night visual meteorological conditions with 10 miles visibility.

Took of runway 6 in ABE today, the skid marks on the runway are pretty gnarly. Bout 300-400 yards of skid marks swerving left just prior to Bravo. They got within 10 feet of the edge of the runway.

I had my doubts, but it seems the crew did a great job to keep it out of the dirt and off the Cessna.

Do people still "clear right" and "clear left" before entering a runway? Situational awareness? Did they hear the Cessna's radio call about wanting to take a different exit? Remember the crew at KPVD that refused a takeoff clearance because of a lost UA flight. That was great SA. We can't simply listen to our call sign and the controller. We should always be trying to figure out what is happening around us. It's amazing to me when I ask the FO about another a/c of concern's position and they have no idea the a/c even exists. I know they have a lot to listen to. Are we still looking at crossing runways when we takeoff or land at KORD. We need to look out for ourselves.

Latest resources

Back