• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

rumors from both NWA and DAL about 717

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
717 Huh? Well, it would be better to be displaced into one of those than a DC-9. Bring em' on!

yeah you guys think the new DL will keep over 12,000 pilots?

Do you guys think DL is going to fly over 1500 aircraft? That is with all the DCI Carriers?

No I don't. However, I think that the largest fleet reductions will come from the small lift, ie crj,embs but offset with adding 76 seaters up to the cap. Who flys those is the question. And I don't mean us or outsourced. That is a given. I mean a probable shrinking of comair and growing of peanuckle, mesabi, compost or even throwing republic into the mix. The one thing the mainline has going for it is at least we will have some retirements in the first few years(my guess is about half to 3/4s of the guys will not go to 65) followed by alot of retirements once we get past the first 5 years and normal retirements kick in.

yeah you guys think the new DL will keep over 12,000 pilots?

Do you guys think DL is going to fly over 1500 aircraft? That is with all the DCI Carriers?

Each "unit" is made up of pilots that want their airline to succeed. This means other airlines wont succeed. It's the free market. There is no job guarantee in any industry even heavily unionized industries.

How would you handle the pilots of a dying airline that is selling its aircraft or goes chapter 7 or is no longer competitive and must shrink.

Pretty easy. The plumbers, steamfitters and insulators in my family seem to be a little more intelligent than this "pilot". They put everyone on the "bench" in seniority order and when a job is available at one of the union shops, of which 90+% are union, the most senior person gets it. From my observation the companies like airlines don't shut down because of lack of work, its because of piss poor management. The tradesmen are almost always picked up immediately by another company. My brother was layed off about 2 months ago (the company went under because the owners gambling habit) and he had calls from other companies in exactly 12 minutes. How is this done? The union immediately called every employer and notified them that he along with others were being layed off. The people on the bench can't push junior people out of their job but when a job is available the job goes to the most senior tradesmen who is available to work.

This would never happen with us because ALPA is spineless and only cares for it's image. They are handcuffed by always following the law and ethics in an environment where their adversary doesn't play by the rules. Well folks this isn't a after school special where the good guy always wins.

actually they are going to 99 seats unless you know something I don't. 40 business and 59 "coach". It will be interesting to say the least. apparently they thought adding an extra flt attendnt wasn't worth the cost of more seats???

Pretty easy. The plumbers, steamfitters and insulators in my family seem to be a little more intelligent than this "pilot". They put everyone on the "bench" in seniority order and when a job is available at one of the union shops, of which 90+% are union, the most senior person gets it. From my observation the companies like airlines don't shut down because of lack of work, its because of piss poor management. The tradesmen are almost always picked up immediately by another company. My brother was layed off about 2 months ago (the company went under because the owners gambling habit) and he had calls from other companies in exactly 12 minutes. How is this done? The union immediately called every employer and notified them that he along with others were being layed off. The people on the bench can't push junior people out of their job but when a job is available the job goes to the most senior tradesmen who is available to work.

Thats great if other airlines are hiring. Not much of that going on right now.

I have a brother-in-law who is an electrician and member of the union. When he works he has great pay and benefits. Unfortunantly, he only gets work about 4 months a year. The rest of the year he must come up with something else to do.

Sucks being junior. He also doesn't have to go through 2 months of training every time he changes companies.

Can you imagine being a junior pilot under your system? You would just go from one furlough to the next.

It is alredy standard practice at most ALPA carriers to do whatever posible to promote the hiring of fuloughed ALPA pilots. The problem, again, is that when airlines are furloughing the others usually aren't hiring.

To make what you want work you will need a national contract and seniority list. What gun do you think we can hold to every airline management's head to accomplish this task? How much collective bargaining power would be given up to get this and for how long would these concessions last?

How much chance of a strike would exist under this utopia? It is already hard to get the government to not interfere with a strike. Every future contract would end in arbertration.

Thats great if other airlines are hiring. Not much of that going on right now.

I have a brother-in-law who is an electrician and member of the union. When he works he has great pay and benefits. Unfortunantly, he only gets work about 4 months a year. The rest of the year he must come up with something else to do.

Sucks being junior. He also doesn't have to go through 2 months of training every time he changes companies.

Can you imagine being a junior pilot under your system? You would just go from one furlough to the next.

It is alredy standard practice at most ALPA carriers to do whatever posible to promote the hiring of fuloughed ALPA pilots. The problem, again, is that when airlines are furloughing the others usually aren't hiring.

To make what you want work you will need a national contract and seniority list. What gun do you think we can hold to every airline management's head to accomplish this task? How much collective bargaining power would be given up to get this and for how long would these concessions last?

How much chance of a strike would exist under this utopia? It is already hard to get the government to not interfere with a strike. Every future contract would end in arbertration.

Again, these airlines don't follow the law and we are why? To be the bigger man or professional? Sorry that doesn't put food on the table. Do you think the tradesmen have what they have by following the rules? Too many pilots and ALPA get wrapped up in image. Lets face it we are blue collar grunts who do a job that few people can or want to do and thus should be paid accordingly.

Many pilots already are going from furlough to furlough. How many pilots in NWA's, Hawiian or Delta's most recent classes have been furloughees? If this was a real union it would be 100%. What happened to Prater's "when one pilot has a problem all pilots have a problem" bs. I think a furlough would go under the classification of a problem. If nonfurloughed pilots are getting hired at ALPA carriers I think it's wrong and if non-ALPA members are getting hired at ALPA carriers while ALPA brothers are jobless then I think it shameful. If it takes negoatiation capital on my part to make the company hire furloughed ALPA brothers so be it.

Last edited:
Again, these airlines don't follow the law and we are why? To be the bigger man or professional? Sorry that doesn't put food on the table. Do you think the tradesmen have what they have by following the rules? Too many pilots and ALPA get wrapped up in image. Lets face it we are blue collar grunts who do a job that few people can or want to do and thus should be paid accordingly.

Many pilots already are going from furlough to furlough. How many pilots in NWA's, Hawiian or Delta's most recent classes have been furloughees? If this was a real union it would be 100%. What happened to Prater's "when one pilot has a problem all pilots have a problem" bs. I think a furlough would go under the classification of a problem. If nonfurloughed pilots are getting hired at ALPA carriers I think it's wrong and if non-ALPA members are getting hired at ALPA carriers while ALPA brothers are jobless then I think it shameful. If it takes negoatiation capital on my part to make the company hire furloughed ALPA brothers so be it.

So you propose hiring any furloughed pilot ahead of a more qualified pilot who has more years of service at another airline including ALPA carriers. The fastest way to a good job would be to go to a week carrier get furloughed and go to your dream job at Airline X.

I like it. Sign me up.

What is the average education level of your "blue collar grunt?" I guess that is why they are so willing to break the law and not follow the "rules." I suppose they aren't qualified enough to get another job in the same field or another due to their education. It is good that they don't have to be the bigger man or, god forbid, a professional. That might screw up having to obey the rules.

Keep up the good work though. Get enough support for your cause and be willing to break some rules and who knows you may get somewhere.

Coincidentally I had an FAA maintenance inspector on the jumpseat today. He confirmed the ruumor of Airtran seeking to add 25 717's to our certificate. He said Boeing won't formally negotiate until Midwest declared ch11 or 7. Mentioned a price of just under 10 million a piece. Apparently Boeing very much wants us to fly.

Latest resources

Back