Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rumor SkyWest Inc. receives new jet financing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rumors I've heard from management;

Smisek want s bigger planes at SkyWest, since he just got a 9 Million dollar raise today I'm sure he"ll work hard torwards that.

Code Share Agreements with both Delta and UniCal, supposedly the new angle for larger aircraft. Not sure how possible it would be with their current pilot contracts?

Big agreement for lift at American, with larger aircraft also, if the USAir aquisition is thwarted.

None of the current Mesa contracts with UniCal or USAir will be renewed, and expecting much more flying as a result.

Per the article from Bloomberg, I asked about CRJ1000's for Alaska and was told by the top guy, a smiling, "no comment". A Bloomberg interview with a VP at Bombardier mentioned 6 CRJ1000 deliveries to Alaska.

Don't know how plausible any of it is but it does seem possible?

I personally think whatever happens at American will set the tone for the rest of the industry.

You do have some interesting rumors. Reading them, here's my opinion.

Smisek WANTS bigger planes for SkyWest? Sure he does. His pilots disagree, which means it probably won't happen. The FCAL pilots never let any jets larger than 50 seats hit the property, and the FUAL pilots are livid over the amount of larger RJs that have trampled over their prior 737 routes. I would guess they would throw a big NO at Smisek.

The USAir merger probably WILL happen. You can bet Parker has promised the world to the APA for their support. Without it, he probably couldn't get the creditors to sign on for his plan. He also stated (in the APA notes from the Parker meeting) that he hates 50 seaters because they are uneconomical. Could he change his mind? I bet he wrote up prelim contracts with ALL of the AMR employee groups, and none of them would want to get replaced by Regional employees. The APA lead council attorney was there too. They aren't dumb. Eventually there will be 3 large legacies, and that will help with profits by getting rid of another legacy (US) and merging it in with AMR. Less competition means more profits for these guys, and that's all they care about.

We'll see.... You just never know...

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
SkyWest Inc. operates about 50% of the flight schedule of Unical and carries 20-25% of their passengers.

Depends on how you're measuring "schedule". Are you using total departure, or block hours flown, or what?

L-UAL's scope dictates that 50% of the flying can be performed by UAX carriers If SKW had 50%, they'd be WAY over that mark when you toss in RAH, and anybody else.

JA may have the biggest chunk of UAX, but that 50% is shared amongst EVERY other UAX carrier out there.

Per the article from Bloomberg, I asked about CRJ1000's for Alaska and was told by the top guy, a smiling, "no comment". A Bloomberg interview with a VP at Bombardier mentioned 6 CRJ1000 deliveries to Alaska.

Hopefully they are flown by pilots on the Alaska Airlines seniority list.

Hopefully they are flown by pilots on the Alaska Airlines seniority list.

They may not be. But, if Alaska joins the merger parade, the other airline they might merge with may not allow CRJ-1000s in their scope clause, and that would mean they would be GONE. I have always wondered why Horizon got rid of their CR7s. They seemed to be a great fit on the SEA to YYC and YEG flights. Maybe it was because if they were to merge with someone who already has a limit for OWNED 70/76 seaters, that might negate any possible merger with that particular airline. Who knows? Just a guess.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I don't think the UAL guys are giving up on Scope

United Pilots Want Talks Declared at Impasse

By Susan Carey WSJ.com

Unionized pilots at United Airlines, impatient over the slow pace of contract negotiations aimed at reaching a new joint labor accord covering them and their counterparts at the Continental Airlines union, asked the Air Line Pilots Association to submit a request that United pilots be released from mediated contract negotiations.

If the National Mediation Board, the federal agency that oversees labor relations in the airline industry and is currently mediating the bargaining, decided the talks weren't fruitful, it could release the pilots into a so-called 30-day "cooling off" period, after which the pilots could strike. The NMB routinely receives such requests but doesn't honor them when talks seem to be making progress. The NMB didn't return a phone call on Monday. United, in a statement, said it is "committed to reaching agreements quickly, but those agreements must be fair to the company and fair to employees."

Capt. Jay Heppner, chairman of the ALPA leadership council representing the 6,500 United aviators, said his members "have been driven by an intransigent, out-of-touch management team that refuses to do its part in negotiating a collective bargaining agreement" that recognizes the sacrifices the pilots have made to United since its bankruptcy filing a decade ago.

Capt. Heppner, a 27-year United veteran who flies a Boeing 777, was elected last year to a two-year term as chief of the ALPA branch at United, and took office in January. In the middle of April, he warned his pilots that if United management didn't agree to complete the contract talks by June 1, he would seek an NMB release from the talks as a prelude to a possible word stoppage. The pilots and company have been in negotiations for nearly two years, with the task made more complex by the addition of the 4,500 Continental pilots as a result of the 2010 merger of the two carriers.

Capt. Heppner, who has directed the creation of a website called, is opposed to what he refers to as the escalating "outsourcing" of United pilot jobs to regional airlines, and out "off-shoring" of United pilot jobs to foreign airlines with which United Continental has code-sharing relationships, both of which he says compromise safety.
The ALPA branch at Continental was taken by surprise by Capt. Heppner's Monday deadline for seeking an NMB release in the absence of United's commitment to reach a new deal by June 1, according to internal union documents. Recently negotiators from both pilot branches and the company agreed on a process and a timeline designed to reach a deal by mid-June.

Subsequently, Capt. Jay Pierce, chief of the Continental ALPA group, said all of the pilots at both units "are extremely frustrated with not having a joint contract," and are "deeply disappointed with the overall progress to date. He said he met with Capt. Heppner to learn more details of his plan "and are in the process of fathering additional information … to determine how best to move forward from this point."
Write to Susan Carey

Bye Bye---General Lee

Rumors I've heard from management;

Smisek want s bigger planes at SkyWest, since he just got a 9 Million dollar raise today I'm sure he"ll work hard torwards that.

Code Share Agreements with both Delta and UniCal, supposedly the new angle for larger aircraft. Not sure how possible it would be with their current pilot contracts?

Big agreement for lift at American, with larger aircraft also, if the USAir aquisition is thwarted.

None of the current Mesa contracts with UniCal or USAir will be renewed, and expecting much more flying as a result.

Don't know how plausible any of it is but it does seem possible?

I personally think whatever happens at American will set the tone for the rest of the industry.

You must be a junior FO right ? BTW UAL just renewed Mesa's 700 contract.

So you picked up Mesa's old 200 flying, now your getting all of the rest ?

Mainline Pilot will never agree to a substaintal increase in RJ's-

SKYW is on the hook for 100's of old 50 seaters, good luck my friend.

Mainline Pilot will never agree to a substantial increase in RJ's-
And as posted many times before, it is the mainline pilots who got us into this mess by not bringing all jets into the mainline with dirt wages but a seniority list number that allowed movement into the bigger equipment after paying your dues.

You guys are all forgetting who owns the checkbook.

Whether you like it or not, fair or not, your fault or not, the power is not with labor anymore. That was traded to the devil about 20 years ago. Of course, Mr. Carter (Now the THIRD worst president ever) didn't do us any favors in 1978. Neither did slick willie (most favored nation, NAFTA, AA strike - and #2 worst president) But, the biggest blow happened before any of us were even born. in 1936, the RLA was extended to cover airline employees - effectively cutting off our collective cajones for generations to come. Incidentally, guess which party controlled BOTH houses of the 74th congress as well as the oval office. But it's good to see unions still giving their whole-hearted support.

So you can chest-beat all you want but it all comes down to economics.

filler blah blah

AA strike

etc and so forth

The what? Oh- you mean when the PEB was 'activated' because the APA and AMR asked for it? Why didn't the PEB actually complete the process and have congress--- never mind.

So you can chest-beat all you want but it all comes down to economics.

And a gold star for you! Salient point.

Scope is being negotiated right now as we speak, Blah blah blah. So, they must have bigger things on their mind (management), blah blah SCOPE and PAY were the two highest priorities. blah blah blah.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Scope or pay. Choose.

As for 717's, you have a lot of really old airplanes that need replacing. Spending a ton of money on flying that you can't do profitably just doesn't make any sense. Buying up a bunch of twenty year old orphan airplanes from third world countries is another questionable decision. I does seem that Anderson is trying to undue history though, something that never ends well.

How about we get a new administration, rein in the FED, develop domestic energy to bring down the price of oil/ jet fuel to where we can all make money again and stop pitting pilots against pilots.

Latest resources

Back