• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rumor has it CJC management will be gunning for ALPA guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There are still a couple of them around. Still sucking at life.

Funny how people make fun of Colgan's but name another family that built not only one but two airlines and sold them for a profit myself as do many pilots are thankful they gave me a shot and now I make a great living for my family. Bet you cant name at least three families that built commuters that stayed in business as long as colgan did but you could probably name 10 people that tryed and failed. Honestly I liked working there 75% of the time but I wasnt there when they sold and in my opionon when Colgan sold and got the Q 400 they are no longer small true commuter anymore.

Funny how people make fun of Colgan's but name another family that built not only one but two airlines and sold them for a profit myself as do many pilots are thankful they gave me a shot and now I make a great living for my family. Bet you cant name at least three families that built commuters that stayed in business as long as colgan did but you could probably name 10 people that tryed and failed. Honestly I liked working there 75% of the time but I wasnt there when they sold and in my opionon when Colgan sold and got the Q 400 they are no longer small true commuter anymore.

I didn't always agree with their policies and interpretations, but I do tip my hat to them for being able to run an airline as long as they did. It's a rough, cutthroat business with razor thin margins. There's a reason why you don't see family owned airlines.

I just wish they could have sold some other company like Skywest .

Rumor has it CJC management will be gunning for ALPA guys

Well it's a good thing ALPA promotes professionalism above all else among its pilots. I can't ikmagine them having any problem at all in a check ride. Let's face it, nobody knows how to fly by the book like they do. Am I right or am I right?

I couldn't agree more. I was with Colgan 4 years prior to the sale to Pinnacle and enjoyed my time there, especially the crews I flew with. After the sale I lasted about a year. 2 hours worth of taxi's out of EWR every night did not help the cause but the airline I knew and enjoyed was quickly eroding away. Employee moral was never in the stratosphere but after the sale it went into a graveyard spiral. Even the easy going and happiest of pilots, including myself, felt their well being decay. Ask the crews I flew with, I always tried to put a smile on my face and make the day pleasant while leaving problems at the door but it got increasingly harder. So much in fact I finally said enough, pulled the chalks and hung up my spurs and saddled up in J-pan. If I would have made this decision a year and a half ago, I probably would have felt some regret but experiencing what I did solidified my decision and I have not looked back. And guess what, they pay a 74 seat turbo prop capt what they're worth over here. I had a 0730 show, done at 1230, in this time period I got a breakfest crew meal at the office and a lunch crew meal at the ship. And not some beat snack but a big a$$ bento box full of food. Flight Crews are still treated with respect, management does not try to cut costs at their expense and the customer service is phenominal. It makes you sad and angry in the same breath as to what the US Airlines were and could be. "Doin' the Colgan" has evolved from something that was a funny little catch phrase for Crew's in the know to chuckle about to something on par with playing "don't drop the soap" at Riker's. From my friends still there, it sounds like it has become an endless game of, "oh sh!t what can I screw up next, because management needs heads to roll..." I feel for all my friends and ex-coworkers there. Keep your heads down, noses clean, collect a check and go home and above all FLY SAFE! You know what they say you're never ex-Colgan just former Colgan, even though it's really said about the Marines, you get the point.

Reb

It's done all the time in Washington, some congressmen or senator gets the power to make anything happen then the wheels of government start to turn in their direction and walla....a real business that is subsidized as much as needed to not fail.

Just look at all the wives, husbands, sons daughters friends etc that are doing this in DC....The Colgans had the clout! But they have always been a bottom feeder because they could be and they could get away with it because of the clout! these other poor airlines tried to be a bottom feeder but were not allowed by the same government that allowed Colgan. Now no more kool aid for you!

Sorry but give me a break. This is a commuter airline. We aren't talking about innovators and leaders in the mold of CR Smith, Juan Trippe, or Pat Patterson. Those were men who had drive and vision. Lets call a spade a spade, Colgan is a low ball commuter outfit. I'll pass on suggesting the Colgans deserve a pat on the back. Even compared to a commuter founder like Bill Britt, the Colgans can't hold a candle.

I couldn't agree more. I was with Colgan 4 years prior to the sale to Pinnacle and enjoyed my time there, especially the crews I flew with. After the sale I lasted about a year. 2 hours worth of taxi's out of EWR every night did not help the cause but the airline I knew and enjoyed was quickly eroding away. Employee moral was never in the stratosphere but after the sale it went into a graveyard spiral. Even the easy going and happiest of pilots, including myself, felt their well being decay. Ask the crews I flew with, I always tried to put a smile on my face and make the day pleasant while leaving problems at the door but it got increasingly harder. So much in fact I finally said enough, pulled the chalks and hung up my spurs and saddled up in J-pan. If I would have made this decision a year and a half ago, I probably would have felt some regret but experiencing what I did solidified my decision and I have not looked back. And guess what, they pay a 74 seat turbo prop capt what they're worth over here. I had a 0730 show, done at 1230, in this time period I got a breakfest crew meal at the office and a lunch crew meal at the ship. And not some beat snack but a big a$$ bento box full of food. Flight Crews are still treated with respect, management does not try to cut costs at their expense and the customer service is phenominal. It makes you sad and angry in the same breath as to what the US Airlines were and could be. "Doin' the Colgan" has evolved from something that was a funny little catch phrase for Crew's in the know to chuckle about to something on par with playing "don't drop the soap" at Riker's. From my friends still there, it sounds like it has become an endless game of, "oh sh!t what can I screw up next, because management needs heads to roll..." I feel for all my friends and ex-coworkers there. Keep your heads down, noses clean, collect a check and go home and above all FLY SAFE! You know what they say you're never ex-Colgan just former Colgan, even though it's really said about the Marines, you get the point.

Reb

Spot on. But next time in kanji

It's done all the time in Washington, some congressmen or senator gets the power to make anything happen then the wheels of government start to turn in their direction and walla....a real business that is subsidized as much as needed to not fail.

Just look at all the wives, husbands, sons daughters friends etc that are doing this in DC....The Colgans had the clout! But they have always been a bottom feeder because they could be and they could get away with it because of the clout! these other poor airlines tried to be a bottom feeder but were not allowed by the same government that allowed Colgan. Now no more kool aid for you!

I didnt realize a senate senator who reps Manassas VA could have so much power in Washington.

Sorry but give me a break. This is a commuter airline. We aren't talking about innovators and leaders in the mold of CR Smith, Juan Trippe, or Pat Patterson. Those were men who had drive and vision. Lets call a spade a spade, Colgan is a low ball commuter outfit. I'll pass on suggesting the Colgans deserve a pat on the back. Even compared to a commuter founder like Bill Britt, the Colgans can't hold a candle.

Thats my point they built a commuter airline that went to small towns that majors would not serve( Maine , West Virginia and others). They were helping out the majors with feed while other regionals were getting these little jets up to 70 seats are taking flying from majors and being held up financially at the same time. We have all seen how good regionals with RJS do on there own.

Im not saying they should get a award. I am just saying if I was to start a commuter with you or Colgan it would be Colgan.

Latest resources

Back