• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rumor: Alaska eyeing US Airways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
igneousy2 are you trying to make sense? That's a dangerous game to play in this industry. You know damn well what is going to happen and only the timing remains a mystery. AA and AS will join up in one form or another and this has nothing to do with facts, rumors or things making sense. It will take place simply because it is your dream come true. Not your good dream but who's keeping track. Maybe the code will be AA or AS. Or maybe AAA or AAAS or even ASS. Tough to guess at this point.

Study up bruddah.

AA will buy us and will change our name to AAlaska Airlines.

Impossible. USAPA's Constitution and Bylaws require DOH integrations with Conditions and Restrictions to protect BOTH sides. No one will ever get "stapled" by USAPA.

I guess the definition of "staple" is in the eye of the beholder. You are certainly entitled to your view even if nobody else in there right mind agrees with it.

Really Jaffo?

If westicles don't want all the east flying for themselves, then why haven't they suggested a fence to see if we could all move on with this abortion?

In other words, you say they're not interested in the 330's....OK then, what exactly are they interested in? Are you saying they don't want our flying? Or what? Let's fence off all our stuff you think you're too good for and MOVE ON WITH IT!

I *LOVE* the East "fence" argument. What makes it so laughable is pre-Nic when the East was banging the straight DOH drum, they REFUSED any discussion about fences because fences would have prevented furloughed East pilots from coming back off of hiatus and becoming Captains in Phoenix. Heaven forbid anyone try to restrict them from their "rightful" seniority bidding position.

Post Nic, suddenly the idea of bidding a position your seniority could hold, including on the other side of the Mississippi, was UNTHINKABLE because of your handful of revered 330s and junked out 767s. That's what makes the foundation of USAPA so laughable. It was created to attempted to improve the fortunes of the former "original" USAir pilots at the expense of any other group they were, or might ever be, in contact with. As entertaining as USAPA attorney Lee Seham's prediction that in the event of a theoretical merger with UAL, United's pilots would jump ALPA's ship and join USAPA, they knew damn well it would never happen. I'm sure given the opportunity they would have done ANYTHING to prevent a merger with United since they are "integrated" with the West, thus watering down their ability to grab onto those 747 Captain seats that they are "entitled" to.

As far as Alaska goes, I hope for their sake they stay away. USAir, both old and new, is toxic. Odds are it would very possibly lead to the demise of another pretty decent company. But hey, nobody in management gives a damn what the pilots want...just show them the money and they'll do what's in the stockholder's (and their own) best interest.

Then again, I'm just a rookie. What do I know about this "senior" stuff?;)

It was worth enough to save your sorry, twice bankrupt a$$es. That's a little fact that keeps slipping the attention of some AFOC members.

Shhhhh...You're going to confuse him with facts. :laugh:

Really Jaffo?

If westicles don't want all the east flying for themselves, then why haven't they suggested a fence to see if we could all move on with this abortion?

In other words, you say they're not interested in the 330's....OK then, what exactly are they interested in? Are you saying they don't want our flying? Or what? Let's fence off all our stuff you think you're too good for and MOVE ON WITH IT!

You are very uninformed! If your union leadership would have been willing to listen to anybody but themselves we wouldn't be where we are now, not to mention maybe actually informing YOU! The west had no problems with fences to keep you all out of PHX, but that was only good for them if it was one way keeping westies out of PHL and CLT. What exactly are we interested in? Well a good start would be getting a contract that gets us off the bottom of every other airline in the US contract wise. Every person I have flown with since this "abortion" was consumated, has agreeed that east and west will never be integrated for many reasons, the biggest being SAFETY! We have no intrest in your flying, AWA was in much better shape than US and was expanding before the "merger" (which is seen by everybody except eastholes as symantics). It all boils down to how misinformed you guys are on the east.

This thread is enough evidence for me that we never - ever - want to merge with USAir.

You are very uninformed! If your union leadership would have been willing to listen to anybody but themselves we wouldn't be where we are now, not to mention maybe actually informing YOU! The west had no problems with fences to keep you all out of PHX, but that was only good for them if it was one way keeping westies out of PHL and CLT. What exactly are we interested in? Well a good start would be getting a contract that gets us off the bottom of every other airline in the US contract wise. Every person I have flown with since this "abortion" was consumated, has agreeed that east and west will never be integrated for many reasons, the biggest being SAFETY! We have no intrest in your flying, AWA was in much better shape than US and was expanding before the "merger" (which is seen by everybody except eastholes as symantics). It all boils down to how misinformed you guys are on the east.

I disagree with you on the idea of "safety" as the root of the inability for West and East to share a cockpit. If we can't all be big boys and girls and do our jobs without compromising safety, maybe we need to find a different way to make a living.

The ironic thing is that there are plenty of USAir guys who want to remain separate and sold as their own entity to another airline minus the West. Who would want them?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back