Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Facts

kamikaize said:
"HAWKERFO" stated...Wasn't the F/O low time? They were using a NON IFR APPROVED handheld GPS for navigation in deep IMC? A mistake? No. The behavior of a professional? No. Terrible judgement? Yes.

nobody is over looking the truth here they made mistakes and crashed!!! the f/o was not low time and had over 3000tt and the cpt had over 10,000tt. also they werent using a handheld gps. they were flying the localizer app. since were just stating facts here...

They were flying the LOC APP off a non-IFR GPS. They did not have the LOC tuned. According to the report.

hogdriver00 said:
They were flying the LOC APP off a non-IFR GPS. They did not have the LOC tuned. According to the report.
Thanks. You beat me to it.

kamikaize said:
"HAWKERFO" stated...Wasn't the F/O low time? They were using a NON IFR APPROVED handheld GPS for navigation in deep IMC? A mistake? No. The behavior of a professional? No. Terrible judgement? Yes.

nobody is over looking the truth here they made mistakes and crashed!!! the f/o was not low time and had over 3000tt and the cpt had over 10,000tt. also they werent using a handheld gps. they were flying the localizer app. since were just stating facts here...

A few notes directly from the full NTSB Report:

Kamikaize, the NTSB is under the impression the FO had 1000 (One Thousand) hours less time than you stated. You should contact them and tell them they messed up the investigation by not throughly investigating her times. I guess they made a mistake in determining that she had just passed the 2000 hour mark.

She was hired by Hendrick Motorsports on November 19, 2001.
A review of company training records revealed that the first officer had accumulated 2,090 hours of total flying time, including 1,200 hours in single-engine airplanes and 860 hours in multiengine airplanes. Hendrick Motorsports reported that the first officer had accumulated 640 hours of flying time since her date of hire, 121 hours of which were in the Beech King Air 200. (That's about 214 hours/year)

PROBABLE CAUSE
The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of this accident was the flight crew’s failure to properly execute the published instrument approach procedure, including the published missed approach procedure, which resulted in controlled flight into terrain. Contributing to the cause of the accident was the flight crew’s failure to use all available navigational aids to confirm and monitor the airplane’s position during the approach.

The GPS database was not current and therefore was not certified for IFR navigation. The airplane was not equipped with an enhanced ground proximity warning system (EGPWS).

On powerup, the database displayed a date of September 3, 2003, (The accident was October 24, 2004) with the message “non-current database.” The database also displayed a message indicating that “all data must be confirmed before use,” which was acknowledged by the pilot. (That database expired over a year prior to the accident.)

The published missed approach procedure called for a climbing right turn at the MAP, which is over the runway threshold. Radar data indicated that the flight crew initiated the missed approach 7.5 nm beyond the MAP. The airplane then entered a straight-ahead climb on the runway heading. (As I previously stated, they were LOST)

Don't take my word for it.
http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/2006/AAB0601.htm

Like you said, Kamikaize, since we're just stating the facts........

I am amazed the CP at the time has since been promoted to DO. He should be unemployed at least, if not in jail for allowing this type of thing to go on. Cowboys. If you are still not in sync with the facts of this unfortunate accident, ask yourself this,

Do you think Jack Roush has any sympathy for the 2 pilots that wiped out a large majority of this family? Would you? Would you call this a "mistake" if it were your family?

What else do you have for me?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back