• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rough times at United

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Your lack of knowledge in this area is laughable. You have no union so, I guess that's okay.

A scab definition is pretty cut and dry. You can try to include questionable decisions and actions by those voting in a union but you'd be wrong. The majority vote of a union may not be popular with those in the minority, but those are the breaks. There is no way you can equate an attempt on the part of union members to minimize damage to their contract during the 9-11 fall-out to being a scab.

A scab is someone who crosses a legal picket line and attempts to take over the jobs of those out on a legal strike. They are scum. We're also talking about a lot more than "one or two pilots". There are hundreds at UAL and CAL that still work there. There are former Eastern scabs throughout the industry. Some crossed because they had what they thought was a good reason. There were some who were already pilots at the airline and who thought they were "saving the airline" or just couldn't do without the $$. During the UAL strike, others (the worst scum) came from other airlines, already qualified in UAL aircraft, knowing they were being hired as strike-breakers. There was no way UAL would have hired them under normal conditions. Most had "issues" and skeletons that never would have allowed them to be hired under normal conditions. They were promised super seniority and knew if they were successful, they would have stripped the striking UAL pilots of their jobs. They knew the score and dove in head first.

You can pass judgment from your sheltered perspective if you want. Until you've watched such scum attempt to take your job and your family's future from you, maybe you need to leave judgment on this issue to those who've been in the battle (or has at least those who have taken the time to educate themselves on the history of this issue).

Well put Fox-Tree. When you come out of the military you honestly don't understand all the background. However, each airline has it's own education machine. Also exposure to those individuals will clarify a lot of things to those who have doubts.

I'm not sure how one defines a SCAB. It's in the dictionary, but I think it has something to do with wounds. However, the most popular "union" definition is someone who crosses a picket line to go to work while others are on strike or doing some sort of work stoppage. This would break your brotherhood, your solidarity and thus hurt your overall effectiveness of getting better compensation, benefits, or work rules. Using this definition, you should add all of your ALPA members who voted to break your collective agreements which resulted in furloughs, lost pensions, lost pay, and lost benefits. As an observation, this has hurt unions more than any one or two pilots who crossed a picket line...

Unfortunately, Spectre, as union members we have to pick our battles, and again, unfortunately it was very apparent that the legacy carriers would not be able to compete with the JetBlues (and others) of the world when such carriers were MASSIVELY undercutting legacy pay and work rules in order to help gain market share and grow. With labor costs such a large percentage of an airlines total costs, it practically becomes impossible to compete with growing LCC's with really low pay and few if any work rules, never mind no pensions. So the unions at the legacies had a choice: either match the new "low bar" set by carriers such as JetBlue, or "win" and go out of business simply because we would continue to be undercut by the new breed of LCC's that were coming into being. That's business, and unfortunately no matter how powerful a union is, it can't overcome the forces of the marketplace. That's not scabbing, that's adjusting our pay and workrules DOWN to yours so that we can compete.

Further, Spectre, you had better HOPE that carriers such as Allegiant, Virgin, Skybus, etc., don't become the "new new breed" of LCC's that helped broke the back of legacy pay and work rules. The rates at those airlines would make your E190 pilots blush. If they grow and become credible competitors in our marketplace, we'll all be 80K/year Captains. Then we'll be seeing the JetBlue guys (and everyone else, for that matter) meet your ridiculous definition of "scab."

Last edited:
what's the consensus on tipping maids?

Here's my consensus: I always leave a couple bucks a day if I'm staying in the room more than one day (training, vacation, etc.).

It's to assure good behavior around my stuff when it's left in there all by itself.

One maid was so happy with my daily cash treat, that she made a swan out of towels and few other interesting towel creations that decorated my room.

Good karma I guess - and hopefully no toilet scrubbing with my toothbrush.

-----Oh, I'm sorry, did I interupt the scab discussion? I'm crushed.

-----Oh, I'm sorry, did I interupt the scab discussion? I'm crushed.

I wonder how many other threads Foxtree has hijacked into a pathological anti-scab rant. Don't get me wrong. I'm no friend of scabs but to hypothesize that some non tipping UAL pilot is part of the class of 85 is over the top.

Sounds like someone has a need for that counselling program that's included in the benefits package.

I wonder how many other threads Foxtree has hijacked into a pathological anti-scab rant.

Just this one - but hijack is a stretch. How was I to know a couple of blue koolaid drinking -320 drivers would come to the defense of the indefensible?

..........but to hypothesize that some non tipping UAL pilot is part of the class of 85 is over the top.

:rolleyes: Uhhh, yeah - what a crazy idea that was. With hundreds of the scumbags at UAL, it's just "over the top" to consider that possibility.

BTW - tip your drivers & your maids and of course your bartenders. Cheers.:beer:

when I was a driver for a company that did airport runs......guess what........I was not tipped most of the time! Oh did i mention these guys who I drove were finacial experts.......i guess i will not mention the company...headquarters in minneapolis....anyways, when I was in college, all my friends who were bar tenders were making over 50 grand a year. Oh, did i mention my friend who worked 4 nights a week at applebees, paid for school and bought a house while in school. I tend to agree with the guy who said what I do with my money is my business! I tip when its appropriate. If the job he or she did was good enough to make me happy with the service. (put my bag in the van, no near death experiences) Oh did i mention if I can afford it....and I cannot remember the last time i bought a beer on a trip, nor do I ever buy epensive food, I usually pack 4 days of food for 4 days. lets be done with this already.

when I was a driver for a company that did airport runs......guess what........I was not tipped most of the time! Oh did i mention these guys who I drove were finacial experts.......i guess i will not mention the company...headquarters in minneapolis....anyways, when I was in college, all my friends who were bar tenders were making over 50 grand a year. Oh, did i mention my friend who worked 4 nights a week at applebees, paid for school and bought a house while in school. I tend to agree with the guy who said what I do with my money is my business! I tip when its appropriate. If the job he or she did was good enough to make me happy with the service. (put my bag in the van, no near death experiences) Oh did i mention if I can afford it....and I cannot remember the last time i bought a beer on a trip, nor do I ever buy epensive food, I usually pack 4 days of food for 4 days. lets be done with this already.

Living the dream aren't you!!!

I agree whole heartedly about tipping being out of control. I mean ewe've got people at coffee shops making better than min. wage who've got the nerve to ask for tips for making your tripple-hockachino. I had this discussion with a friend just last night; if the van driver gets my bags and is generally cool I tip without hesitation. I try to get my own bags, but sometimes tehy beat me to it(hey, I guess that's hustle).

Now, if they take me to and from a restaraunt or some other place after the ride from the airport I'm more inclined to tip, I don't know why that's different in my head.

Bottom line is that people in the retail businesses have gotten way to accustomed to asking for money beyond their wages from the pockets of their customers. And most people are so guilty for having someone serve them a muffin that they'll fall for it. Even though they stood there waiting for it and cleaned it up when they were done. For crying out loud they're making an hourly wage, if they want more money they should get a better job.

Problem is, that in this country capitalism rules and the negative side of this is that businesses get away with paying their help $2.50/hr because they make 50/hr in tips. In other words the "justice for all" courts allow this kind of abuse and unscrupulous entrepreneurs love it. Just like when one gets sick: if you are out of PTO/PTS your pay gets docked. What kind of BS is that in a "civilized" society? But then it also panders to big business and allows illegal immigration to fester while we have to take off our shoes at the screening points.

Latest resources

Back