• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rough times at United

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think JetBlue is a great place to work without a union!

Kumbahyah...............Kumbahyah...............

Just one big happy family.

I hope it works out for you. Talk to me when you get your first unilaterally implemented pay cut or work rule change. Unions have some serious warts and issues, no doubt. Eventually (unfortunately), you'll see they are a necessary evil.

Fox-Tree, as a former FAIP, I would have had to rank lower in my class to get an F-15 to Bitburg or Camp New Amsterdam (Yes... I just dated myself!). ;)

Having worked for tips (at 2.01 per hour plus tips) I think there is nothing wrong with not tipping (for poor service). However, there are some jobs where tipping is a large or the largest portion of someone's income. The people using that service (van driver, waitress, bell hop, skycap) should tip based on quality of service and customs (the latter vary by country). To do otherwise is to identify yourself in a negative light, ask that your luggage be lost, your food/drink to be spit on/in, your door key to not work, and for you to be late to the airport and dropped off at the wrong spot.

I look at tipping like this...

First--I'm blessed by God with a great job, financial security, and a job that I love. So--if I cannot be generous I am squandering the gifts I've been provided.

If a guy/gal does a great job, he gets a tip and a big thanks.

If a guy/gal gives is late, slow, or behind, he/she gets a big tip, a thanks, and a silent prayer. I figure their day is worse than mine. Their job is certainly one I would never want...even if they are making 100 bucks a day in tips...

If they are rude, disrespectful, or late.....he/she gets a tip...and a request to have a better day, and remember we need their help. I also tell them how much we DO appreciate it when the CAN help us out...

So--say thanks or "pay it forward..."...life is too short to be cheap and miserable. If you can hold a second class medical you got less problems than a hell of a lot of folks, and if your company ain't treatin' you right then you can use this as a chance to show how YOU think they should be treated.

Just my take...but I'll bet I've gotten those dollars I've given out back many times over by just trying to be a positive force. I have a great job, and my situation may be different than yours--but a generous spirit always seems to come back around.

Read Matthew Chapter 18 vs 22-35. Reread verse 33 a few times. We all gotta chart our own course, but that is what I remember when I'm faced with a tip situation....

I look at tipping like this...

First--I'm blessed by God with a great job, financial security, and a job that I love. So--if I cannot be generous I am squandering the gifts I've been provided.

Obviously not an airline pilot.

But I do have an off beat tipping question. I am getting some furniture delivered next week. A couch and a bed. They are supposed to put the bed together...............Do I tip them for their service???? (an honest question).

Obviously not an airline pilot.

But I do have an off beat tipping question. I am getting some furniture delivered next week. A couch and a bed. They are supposed to put the bed together...............Do I tip them for their service???? (an honest question).

I had the same thing happen when we moved into our house about 5 yrs ago. 3 guys assembled our furniture (complete bedroom set), and it was a lot to do. I gave them each a $20. I'd say for a couch and bed, depending on the amount of time, at least a $5 spot to a $10 spot.

where is thismysterious scab list?
The universal US list is in .pdf format on my computer and hundreds of other pilot's computers too. It gets passed around by those who care. If I thought I could post it, I would but I'm sure that's not allowed. The UAL scab list was provided to me there when I got hired.

The universal US list is in .pdf format on my computer and hundreds of other pilot's computers too. It gets passed around by those who care. If I thought I could post it, I would but I'm sure that's not allowed. The UAL scab list was provided to me there when I got hired.

I let anyone ride on our jumpseats at JetBlue. Even people like you would get a ride because I don't care about your present or past history, what uniform you wear, or what union you do or do not belong to. I do know you are just trying to get to work or back home and I'm glad to help out. I guess if a union gets on the JetBlue property, we'll all be carrying the "list" and denying jumpseats? Yeah, sign us up now!!!

I'm not sure how one defines a SCAB. It's in the dictionary, but I think it has something to do with wounds. However, the most popular "union" definition is someone who crosses a picket line to go to work while others are on strike or doing some sort of work stoppage. This would break your brotherhood, your solidarity and thus hurt your overall effectiveness of getting better compensation, benefits, or work rules. Using this definition, you should add all of your ALPA members who voted to break your collective agreements which resulted in furloughs, lost pensions, lost pay, and lost benefits. As an observation, this has hurt unions more than any one or two pilots who crossed a picket line...

Last edited:
I let anyone ride on our jumpseats at JetBlue. Even people like you would get a ride because I don't care about your present or past history, what uniform you wear, or what union you do or do not belong to. I do know you are just trying to get to work or back home and I'm glad to help out. I guess if a union gets on the JetBlue property, we'll all be carrying the "list" and denying jumpseats? Yeah, sign us up now!!!

I'm not sure how one defines a SCAB. It's in the dictionary, but I think it has something to do with wounds. However, the most popular "union" definition is someone who crosses a picket line to go to work while others are on strike or doing some sort of work stoppage. This would break your brotherhood, your solidarity and thus hurt your overall effectiveness of getting better compensation, benefits, or work rules. Using this definition, you should add all of your ALPA members who voted to break your collective agreements which resulted in furloughs, lost pensions, lost pay, and lost benefits. As an observation, this has hurt unions more than any one or two pilots who crossed a picket line...

Your lack of knowledge in this area is laughable. You have no union so, I guess that's okay.

A scab definition is pretty cut and dry. You can try to include questionable decisions and actions by those voting in a union but you'd be wrong. The majority vote of a union may not be popular with those in the minority, but those are the breaks. There is no way you can equate an attempt on the part of union members to minimize damage to their contract during the 9-11 fall-out to being a scab.

A scab is someone who crosses a legal picket line and attempts to take over the jobs of those out on a legal strike. They are scum. We're also talking about a lot more than "one or two pilots". There are hundreds at UAL and CAL that still work there. There are former Eastern scabs throughout the industry. Some crossed because they had what they thought was a good reason. There were some who were already pilots at the airline and who thought they were "saving the airline" or just couldn't do without the $$. During the UAL strike, others (the worst scum) came from other airlines, already qualified in UAL aircraft, knowing they were being hired as strike-breakers. There was no way UAL would have hired them under normal conditions. Most had "issues" and skeletons that never would have allowed them to be hired under normal conditions. They were promised super seniority and knew if they were successful, they would have stripped the striking UAL pilots of their jobs. They knew the score and dove in head first.

You can pass judgment from your sheltered perspective if you want. Until you've watched such scum attempt to take your job and your family's future from you, maybe you need to leave judgment on this issue to those who've been in the battle (or has at least those who have taken the time to educate themselves on the history of this issue).

Latest resources

Back