• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rough times at United

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Years ago, I was getting on a van that another company crew was getting off. Once we got going, the driver began to gripe about the FO only giving him a quarter. That FO was getting furloughed, and I explained it to the driver. He half laughed and said something to the effect that being a furloughed pilot must be a "vacation". I usually tip, but I didn't this time and no one else on the van did either.

Not a big revelation on tipping, just a story. Again, I occaisionally don't tip.

Not to lecture but.... Don't you think as a UAL pilot (are you a Captain there or somewhere else on furlough?), you should be aware of this stuff and make a effort to check guys out before you give them a jumpseat or start chatting it up with them in ops? Some of them got back into ALPA and have the pin but that doesn't mean they get to ride or given the time of day. They're still f##king scabs.

Absolutely.

Last edited:
I wish it was as you said - but it isn't. At either company, BTW. Do you have a UAL scab list? You guys have many who were hired well after the 85 strike. They didn't get on the property at UAL by crossing any picket line. They were hired by the "regular" interview. Everyone knows the HR person wore the pants at the UAL interviews during the late 80s/early 90s. Many pilots doing the interviews were management and didn't care about the scab status of a candidate.
Here are a few examples you can check for yourself. Look at the seniority list and check the DOH for these guys. These file #s are CAL scabs hired well after the 85 strike: 104575 (hired Jan89), 54093(Jun86), 136418, 110733(Jul89), 147530(Dec92) and that just gets into the "B" last names. Here's an EAL scab just for good measure: 113588(Jan/90).

Just talked to a couple of grey hairs and yes, it was as you state in the mid to late 80's, early 90's. Fortunately, the hiring process is now changed.

what's the consensus on tipping maids?

Times must be rough at United.. A Cpt. stiffed the van driver this morning in BOS..
Grabbed his bags and ran.. The F/O did the right thing and so did we the under paid cargo crew.. not even good enough for a good morning greeting from the cpt.. we covered him..Ill bet the van wont pick United up first after this..
I bet he even claims tips on his taxes..

There are people like that at every airline and in every profession. I am no big fan of United but please.

- The company requires me to take a van to the hotel
- they company require me to stay at this hotel
- the company makes the arrangements with the hotels (for the cheapest deals probably)
- the company demands what times I have to rest/sleep
- the company arranges for transportation
- I agreed with my company to my employment terms which do NOT include
tipping the van drivers 8 -10 times pr week (assuming 4-5 overnights).

- the van driver is employed by the hotel or some other transportation service
- the van driver agreed to his employment terms
- like the previous post said. It should not be the flight crew but the company that should make sure the van driver is paid properly and not
put that extra "requirement" on the crew.

Word-for-word- Amen! I agree whole-heartedly.

-Snaab

EVERYBODY NEEDS TO MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS!! Whatever i do with MY dollar is MY choice, NOT YOURS!

Give it to the under paid UAL pilots that fly you to Hawaii!

When the companys claims chapter 11 and demands a paycut for survival and a cut in perdiem which is used for food and tips, I must also consider myself in Chapter 11 and cut cost where I can for my survival, which means less tips.

Latest resources

Back