• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rolling Rest - Explain Please.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flexjet the only Frac with floating rest. Does it happen here, yes. Will it stop, I hope so. They will drag this one as long as they can. VOTE YES AND THANK ALL THE NETJETS PILOTS YOU SEE> If it wasn't for them you wouldn't have jack at Flex.

Personally, I ain't thanking them, but rather Uncle Warren!

As for the floating rest, the situation is looming in front of our management. It cannot stand, whether or not we have a union. As a victim, today! of a 10 hour rest 3am phone call, I can tell you that this situation will be corrected one way or another...then what will you guys have to bich about???

Grow up, you guys! I used to enjoy the debate on this board, but lately it's been just a bunch of whiners whose goal of a union at FJ has been clearly defeated.

I will say that designated rest has been the biggest improvement by DOUBLE at NJ since I have been here. Better then money, food and 7and7.

Rolling rest is one of those things that seems kind of crappy when living with it, but once you look back you wonder how you ever did it.

I was shut off at 6pm tonight and show tomorrow at 1pm. 19 hours off. That cannot change, will not change and I will not receive any phone calls until 1pm tomorrow.

As a result I am staying up late relaxing, watching the debate and typing and reading and will sleep in late rested and fully prepared for my day at 1pm.

Personally, I ain't thanking them, but rather Uncle Warren!

As for the floating rest, the situation is looming in front of our management. It cannot stand, whether or not we have a union. As a victim, today! of a 10 hour rest 3am phone call, I can tell you that this situation will be corrected one way or another...then what will you guys have to bich about???

Grow up, you guys! I used to enjoy the debate on this board, but lately it's been just a bunch of whiners whose goal of a union at FJ has been clearly defeated.
ed,

This is like Tiny Tim and Bob Cratchet thanking Mr Scrooge for Christmas turkey. It was the Ghost of Christmas Future (1108), that brought Scrooge and Marley to their senses.

I think a lot of the discussion of answering the phone the last 2 hours of rest is not a rolling rest issue. That is a different issue. So I think some are confusing that rule with rolling rest.

I am going out on a limb here and I am probably going to get bashed but in my 2 plus years I have not been adversly affected by rolling rest.

Although answering the phone at 1AM stinks and I would like to see that fixed more than rolling rest.

Even if they don't call you 95% of the time you are always looking over your shoulder during your rest wondering, updating, thinking. You don't realize it but you are. Once that threat is removed it feels like a major orgasm, you could never think it could feel so good.

Last edited:
Actual Scenario:

Rest began at 1700lcl

Trip show next morning scheduled for 0930lcl

Company calls at 0900 (I'm already in uniform and ready to head to the hotel lobby) and advises trips pushed back to 1800lcl (two short legs; no big deal)

After second leg and while closing out company calls with a pop up(two long legs)

Finished at 0515lcl (exhausted!!!)
At this point been awake for over 22 hrs and still need to make our way to the hotel,etc.

In retrospect we should have called in fatigued but the lack of sleep didn't really hit us until 1/4 of the way through last leg, pretty tough to call fatigued at that point.

What you can do next time when you obviously know you will become fatigued is tell them you will be unsafe to fly and decline the additional trips. That will get their attention. You are on top of the ball game then. Fatigue is sneaky and will get you eventually.

Actual Scenario:

Rest began at 1700lcl

Trip show next morning scheduled for 0930lcl

Company calls at 0900 (I'm already in uniform and ready to head to the hotel lobby) and advises trips pushed back to 1800lcl (two short legs; no big deal)

After second leg and while closing out company calls with a pop up(two long legs)

Finished at 0515lcl (exhausted!!!)
At this point been awake for over 22 hrs and still need to make our way to the hotel,etc.

In retrospect we should have called in fatigued but the lack of sleep didn't really hit us until 1/4 of the way through last leg, pretty tough to call fatigued at that point.

Clearly not ideal - but would "no rolling rest" have prevented this? Looking at the timeline, you were in rest until 1700 local, which means they can keep you until 0700 local. Since this was a pop-up trip at the END of the day rather than moving up the start time, I do not see how the no "rolling rest" rule would have prevented it.

Maybe the NJ guys can chime in - is there a rule that would have prevented this over there?

Latest resources

Back