Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
active_herk said:
Member dues are ALPA standard, 1.95% of pay

Well of course if you are FoxLeech and his other buddies, that make up less than 3% of the crew force, then your dues are 0%. Of course he still gets to operate under the exact same contract, same pay, gets the same retirement, and... get this... if he screws up and the company decides to take any action against him up to and including termination, then my union and it's lawyers HAVE to defend him and his job! Even though he pays nothing for any of the above. Pretty sweet deal as long as you have no moral problems with being a thief. And make no mistake... that is exactly what you and the other non-dues paying dirt bags are... thieves!

1.95% = Cheap Insurance. Is it tax deductable (I would imagine that it is).

No job for a low time Pilatus pilot I guess. Maybe in a few years :) *crosses fingers*

Geronimo4497 said:
Interesting topic. Just out of curiousity, how much are member dues? I can't imagine that it is a ton of money, considering what you guys make.

P.S. - Can I have a job?

It's just under 2% of your salary. So for a Capt who makes $200,000 it is a mere $4,000 for the year.

Geronimo4497 said:
1.95% = Cheap Insurance. Is it tax deductable (I would imagine that it is).

Yes, it is tax deductible, which in effect makes it even cheaper. To put things in perspective, I once had a 727 captain explain it this way... before the union, there was no B-Fund for retirement. When the union negotiated the first contract, we were able to establish a 6% B-fund; so assuming we got NOTHING else in the contract, we are still money ahead 4% with the union that we wouldn't have had otherwise. Everything else after that is gravy. I guess the non-union types figure management would have given us the 6% B-fund out of the goodness of their hearts (in the meantime management took away profit sharing from the rest of the employees and then offered up a dividend to the shareholders). Gee, I wonder who the number one shareholder is??

active_herk said:
. I guess the non-union types figure management would have given us the 6% B-fund out of the goodness of their hearts (in the meantime management took away profit sharing from the rest of the employees and then offered up a dividend to the shareholders). Gee, I wonder who the number one shareholder is??

Hmmmmm, UPS? ;)

Easy solution to the non-member financial problem...'contract administration fee' which equals 1.95% of pay...eliminates the financial incentive for being a non-member...you don't have to join, but you have to pay if you wanna keep the job. APA got this feature added to the contract with AA after the acquisition of TWA when they were worried about having too many non-members. Eagle has had it for years. Works good, and if people refuse to pay, the company is required to release them.

Relax.. Why are we getting all worked up about 3% of the pilots? Heck, most of them are going to retire in the next few years, and unless you are doing the -10 MCO or ATL lines, you probably are never going to have to interact with them. I like having a "open shop", it sends a message to management that we WANT to be represented and will make the necessary sacrifices WILLINGLY. The 3% who are in the vast minority, if that is there choice so be it. IT IS A LOWSY 3%, focus on the 97%.....

FedEx said:
If they are not members then they are told good luck and come back and talk to us when you join the membership. They said why should they help out a nonmember with all the others members paying dues? If they helped out the non-members, then there would be no incentive to join the Union.
I feel ALPA should do the same. Why should my dues help protect another pilot who is not paying dues?
Let this happen to one pilot and see how fast they join the Union...

Rez O. No desrespect to you, but what if the Union would have told you, good luck on getting your job back, come talk to us later when you become a member. I am tired of my hard earned $ helping out someone who choose not to belong to the Ass... Lets do what the NEA does and tell the pilot "good luck, let us know how everything works out".

FedEx,

First of all, I believe you may have mistaken Rez O. Lewshun as the author of the above story. He is not. He simply pasted an article written by Capt. Frake recounting his ordeal.

Second, I think you may be confusing "legal counsel" with the representation which Capt. Frake received. The representation which Capt Frake received involved his dealings with the Company, and his wrongful termination. The collective bargaining agent (the "union") is obligated, by the same federal law which gives the employees the right to withhold services (strike), to represent each and every member of the class and craft (the pilots of FedEx) equally when it involves the collective bargaining agreemant (the contract) and the employer. Capt Frake was a target of pilot pushing. If the union is to ever protect pilots from pilot pushing, they must protect all pilots from pilot pushing, regardless of membership status.

Had FPA chosen to not grieve the termination, and a union member were to be fired the next day for similar "offenses," had the FPA then grieved the member's termination, Capt Frake would have had grounds to sue the union for failure to represent.

Now - - the legal counsel to which you refer might be a different animal. ALPA has vast legal resources available to members that might come in handy if a member runs afoul not of the Company, but of the FAA. Those resources would be available for a member to get his ticket back, but they would not be available to a non-member. There are certain benefits and privileges that attach to membership that are NOT required by federal law, and those benefits and privileges are NOT available to non-members. I believe the "legal benefits" to which you refer must fall into that category. If not, that union is opening itself to legal action.

Third, let's get off this topic - - it's non-productive. Wallow with a pig, and you just get muddy.

:)

Latest resources

Back