• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rock fight for FedEx?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe management will change their tune once they see how bad UPS takes it in the shorts once they strike. FedEx will gain some business from their bickering and I doubt Fred will want to give those packages right back.

I was quite confused/disturbed by JL email today as well and I could see him putting in for early retirement. All I know though is that I support my MEC and am mentally and financially prepared to do battle for the long haul. If you haven't already started stockpiling some extra krinkles I suggest you start now.

I have no problem with you being a NONMEMBER. But you better be a NONMEMBER with dues check off. Nobody gets a free ride.

The Negotiating Comm. Speaks for me!!

The bottom line here is that the Negotiating committee is on OUR SIDE!! An excellent system of checks and balances exist within OUR union to ensure that no "one individual" is allowed to decide our future... That's why Bob, and more importantly, the leadership of ALPA, will continue to speak for me...

While I will not blindly follow thier lead, the leadership of ALPA is who I listen to, and who I will follow when the time comes... I'm proud to pay my dues, and am prepared to do what it takes for myself, and more importantly, for the strategic benefit earned in this contract and the next 5 contracts... We are in the initial stages of a continual, protracted battle... I'll be waging this battle, proudly on the right side of the fence, for the next twenty-five years...

On a side note, isn't it awesome to know that FedEx ALPA has an insider in management that's passing us information about what's going on on their side??? I wonder who it is???

Take Care,
Murdawg5

FedEx said:
I have no problem with you being a NONMEMBER. But you better be a NONMEMBER with dues check off. Nobody gets a free ride.

I would guess that DW would feel the same way to make sure his ALPA pension could be paid for. Sorry, I don't pay for poor service. Sorry so many are coerced into doing just that. If you disagree, just wait, you will not be happy with coming events.:(

FoxHunter,

I don't think your going to get confirmation or absolution (at least here)that being a non-member has been the right choice.....

I Learned About Flying From That!
Capt. Eugene P. Frake
On the evening of July 4, 2000, F/O John Tinsley and I, due to severe weather impacting the Philippine Island area, were assigned a revised pairing requiring us to jumpseat on an MD-11 from Subic Bay to Taipei. Of the six MD-11 crewmembers assigned to travel to Taipei, I was by far the most senior and, unquestionably, the most experienced crewmember, having more than 13 years of international experience as a captain, including seven years in the MD-11. For some reason, in their wisdom, crew scheduling assigned the least senior captain to actually fly the leg to TPE—a captain with less than one year’s experience as a PIC on a widebody aircraft. At that time, not one but two typhoons were simultaneously lashing the Philippines from the northeast and southwest; these storms ultimately killed scores of local residents. FedEx’s Subic flight operations were closed due to the storm, and remained closed for several days as typhoons Kirogi and Kai Tak battered their way through the Luzon Strait. The plane that I was to leave on was the last—and only—aircraft scheduled to leave Subic Bay.

In my 23 years of operating transport category aircraft, experience and common sense have taught me that it is wise to avoid intentionally flying into hazardous weather phenomena such as squall line thunderstorms, tornadoes and other cyclonic events (hurricanes or typhoons), and severe wind shear (aloft or on the surface). SFS is an inherently dangerous airport, and when you combine it with severe weather you have tremendous potential for disaster. Dismiss me as over-conservative if you wish, but my suggestion was to delay the flight until we could see what the typhoons were doing in terms of intensity and movement. The operating captain felt that it was safe to depart, which was his prerogative. Another player in the “go/no go” debate was the Assistant Chief Pilot Subic Bay, who, along with the Memphis Duty Officer, felt that the weather we were experiencing was “seasonal monsoonal flow and perfectly safe to operate in.” To make a long story short, Tinsley (making his own, independent decision) and I decided it was foolhardy to take off at that time. Nevertheless, we were directed to depart on the aircraft. We refused—out of fear for our personal safety. We immediately contacted our Subic FPA representative and briefed him extensively on the situation. He and the FPA Grievance Committee representatives in Memphis told us what to expect from flight management. As they predicted, we were both relieved from flight status the next day, and we were ordered to return to Memphis for a preliminary hearing with the ACP MD-11.

At no time during the days leading up to the hearing did Tinsley or I expect disciplinary action to result from this incident. We were convinced that we had made the proper decision not to depart based on safety concerns. Additionally, we told the duty officer that we would strenuously attempt to get our pairing back on schedule once the typhoons moved out. What we expected was a safety debrief, and little else. Surely, we felt, common sense would prevail once the facts were made known. However, the meeting that was held was disciplinary in nature. And although the facts were presented succinctly, to our dismay, we were both sent letters of termination on August 4, 2000.
We appealed this decision, of course. With guidance, support, and representation from FPA, Tinsley and I attended a Level 2 Appeal Hearing before the vice president of flight operations on August 22, 2000. Again, we felt the facts of the case would exonerate us once a fair-minded and reasonable management pilot examined the evidence and testimony.

However, on September 8, 2000, claiming that my “asserted reasons for refusing to depart were not reasonable under the circumstances…” and wishing me luck in my future endeavors, the VP of Flight Op’s unceremoniously upheld my termination.

After 23 straight years of discipline-free and loyal service, I was fired with extreme prejudice for refusing management’s order to depart into intensely hazardous weather that I strongly felt was unsafe. If anyone is looking for a term that describes this event, it is called “pilot pushing”—something that was quite common many years ago in commercial aviation. If any of you, my fellow crewmembers, think that the flight management team at FedEx is not embracing this “motivational tool,” you’re in serious denial. The sad part of this is that some inexperienced or intimidated captain is going to one day succumb to a management “push,” and a catastrophe will result.

We, as a pilot group, must understand that this management team is zealous in their pursuit of system efficiency. In my opinion, words such as “paranoid,” “political,” and “predatory” are not out of line. It is also my opinion that some members of this management team would resort to prevarication in order to fulfill their intended agenda.

As a result, all crewmembers must understand that they are potential targets if they cause problems. We are most certainly disposable. This reality applies to Union members and non-members alike. As a former non-member, I was certain that my professional conduct as an experienced aviator and my intense loyalty as a FedEx employee would overcome any hint of disciplinary action if I were able to state my case in a forthright manner. In my arrogance, I felt Union representation was reserved principally for rogues and miscreants, slackers and weak aviators; it was certainly not for the well-intentioned pilot just trying to hammer out a living. Boy, did I get a bite out of the proverbial “reality sandwich,” I’m here to tell you!

What some of you fail to realize is the importance of strong representation, not only because of efforts made to obtain excellent working conditions and pay rates, but most critically for the comfort of knowing that someone is there if your multi-million dollar career is suddenly in jeopardy. This management team is not your friend. Certain folks out there misguidedly believe that these managers care about your personal well-being. Or perhaps some of you believe that if you have a job to do, and you carry it out in a fair-minded, professional manner, life will be swell. Let me repeat for those out there who still think Union representation is a waste of time and money: This management team is not your friend! You cannot hide behind fond memories of the good old days as I have, and you certainly can’t fantasize that Mr. Smith is somehow going to come to your rescue should your “six o’clock” get in trouble. If we did not have the strong representation of the Fedex Pilots Association today, my prospects for finding a meaningful airline job would be nil. I would be relegated to flying oil-dripping DC-3’s in some banana republic—the haven for most terminated airline pilots.

I am of the firm belief that flight management had an ulterior motive in terminating me, and it had nothing to do with typhoons, or who was presenting more compelling facts on what was safe or not safe. If FedEx had been straightforward in trying to resolve this unfortunate event in an atmosphere of common sense, they would have chosen the proper forum: a safety debrief. Instead, they chose to pick a target and pull the trigger. It was their good fortune to stumble upon a senior captain who was a non-union member, to test the resolve and coffers of FPA and set a precedent for requiring pilots to do things they consider unsafe. I was their “huckleberry.” Their political objective suggests to me that they want to intimidate the crew force into believing that flight safety is ultimately the domain of flight management and they alone are the final arbiter. Their paranoia is that rogue captains will intentionally disrupt efficient operations by using the “safety card” to ground aircraft during future contract disputes.

A final arbitration hearing was held in mid-November, and both sides presented evidence and witnesses. FPA did a superb job in research, preparation, and presentation. Our attorney (Darrell Green) and the Grievance Committee were masterful. They took on FedEx, with its deep pockets and expert legal team, and won. While Green presented indisputable facts, evidence, and reputable pilot witnesses, FedEx brought forth unknowledgeable and ill-prepared witnesses, including an overseas flight manager who, in my opinion, misstated what the weather conditions were at the time of departure. FedEx also tried to squash evidence showing that the operating and jumpseating crews were duped by flight management into “sanitizing” written statements concerning the actual weather conditions at the time of departure. In short, FedEx tried to manufacture a case, and they failed.

It is important to acknowledge the tremendous efforts of the entire FPA team for restoring my career and dignity; I will be forever grateful. The support I received from FPA’s leadership during the three hearings bolstered my sagging morale. The Grievance Committee, especially chairman Capt. Chris Baker, Capt. Nick Nichols, Capt. John Dixon, and F/O Craig Clark, were superb. Paralegal Pam Herrington contributed tireless work. Finally, Legal Counsel Darrell Green, possessing an astute legal mind, saved my career.

In closing, I ask that all of you who have had issues or concerns about joining FPA, please set those aside and join as I have. It is critical that you understand who is looking out for your best interests. Along these lines, if you have a conflict with other crewmembers regarding line operations, contact FPA’s nearest representative first, before you sign written documents for management. It just might save your fellow airmen from the trauma of unwarranted termination proceedings. And, on the topic of flight safety, it is imperative that captains understand that safety is your domain, and your domain alone. You, and you alone, are ultimately responsible for your aircraft, crew, and cargo. As far as complying with directives that might put you and your crew in imminent peril, I have no comment, except for you to use your common sense, always.

FoxHunter said:
Sorry, I don't pay for poor service.
Here's the kind of guy who goes to a restaurant, runs up a $500 bill, then refuses to pay because the steak was medium instead of medium-rare. He then does this every night.
What a piece of $Hit (that's an insult to all the $hit out there, btw). The service might not be the best...heck, it might not even be good... but it's service nonetheless and it ain't free. Watching your brothers pay for it while you reap the benefits makes you a vile specimen.

FoxHunter said:
Sorry Albie, fact is there is 0% of getting an contract the way things are now. Same direction, same kind leadership, same thinking as there was in 95'. I'm a nonmember because the situation will not change until a lot of people get hurt. Say what you want, call me what you want, but based on my experience with ALPA during the last 35+ years you are very much at risk. Only time will prove me right or wrong, but hang on for a rough ride. Hang on to that Guard/Reserve job.

Absolute looser! Hope you are enjoying your pay and benefits that my dues money pays for. And when we do get a new contract I'm sure you will laugh all the way to the bank to pocket new pay raises and increased benefits. Same sad story with empty excuses, "I'm not a member because ___________ (fill in the blank) when it really comes down to money, plain and simple. Hope I see you in the HUB soon so I can tell you what I really think of you face-to-face GC, two below Cheever on the non-members list.

FoxHunter

Fox Hunter,

I can respect your decision to not be a member of a labor union. (However, I don't understand it.)

I DO NOT respect you benefiting from our current (or any future) contract that we collectively paid to negotiate.

If you had any honor, you would pay the same percentage that we pay in dues in the form of a Contract Maintenance Fee. To do anything less reveals the fact that you are just FREELOADING. There is no other excuse!

I challenge you today to step up to the plate like a man and pay your way for our current contract. You don't have to be part of ALPA to do that.

I would appreciate a response to my challenge.

P.S. If you choose to not pay your Contract Maintenance Fee, after we secure an improved contract, I'm sure you will be first in line to tell the Company: "No thanks to the new improved contract. I want to stay under the old one because I don't believe in ALPA". Time will tell, Sir.

Good day

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back