Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hawkster54

Knuckle Deep!
Any guesses as to how long it will take before unmanned aircraft are tested in the cargo market? I personnally do not want this to happen, but the pessimistic side of me can see myself landing my dream job with FedEx or UPS only to be replaced by a computer geek on the ground flying transcontinental routes from a simbox.

I figure if the millitary can drop bombs on the other side of the world this way, then companies can fly cargo this way too. I would imagine this technology will be tested on aircraft with cargo in the back rather than with Passengers. It's hard to imagine the industry 30 years from now.

Maybe I'm just paranoid.

You're absolutely right. This is a major concern. That's why I wrap tinfoil around my head and stay out of the path of MindWaveReadingSatalites or MWRS. I'd say more but I feel like they're too close to me right now.

Fight the fight and don't let them turn you into borg. Live long and prosper.

Only AFTER the FAA approves them in the National Air Space. I worked with Predator in the Air Force Reserves until I retired last year and now I work with them at NASA... we can't even get approval to leave Edwards Air Force Base airspace. The FAA is totally afraid of UAV's. You don't have anything to worry about during this lifetime.

But who in freight industry is going to buy NEW stuff?, maybe in 60 years when it is USED.

Only AFTER the FAA approves them in the National Air Space. I worked with Predator in the Air Force Reserves until I retired last year and now I work with them at NASA... we can't even get approval to leave Edwards Air Force Base airspace. The FAA is totally afraid of UAV's. You don't have anything to worry about during this lifetime.

Your experience with the Predator does not seem to align with current operations for the Global Hawk. The article discusses a transfer of some operational testing from Edwards to PAX (complete with a flight to transfer the airframe) and also notes a trans-oceanic flight to Australia in 2001. Maybe the Predator cannot get out of Edwards but it appears the bigger fish are swimmng a bit further away from the pond. Perhaps the Predator is lacking in some of the GH's capabilities.

This article is dated March of this year. http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123018197

Now, this is a far cry from daily (nightly?) cargo ops in and out of let's say, MEM, and the mission has been and continues to be intelligence but every journey begins with a single step as they say.

I haven't seen any information published by DOD testing or utilizing UAVs for any other mission types outside of air combat and MI.

Latest resources

Back