• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

RNO-ATL route......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That sounds like a fine idea. That may be how I do this...I'd like to see teh painted desert and that kind of thing. Thanks.

Huggy....man, with that kind of dedication I'm beginning to reconsider. I need a few people who owe me lunch money "visited".

What do you think about the stuff between Vegas and ABQ? Is it easier than it looks on the charts/google earth?

Thanks again......keep it coming.

I flew direct from Flagstaff to Henderson in a PA12 SuperCruiser between 8,500 to 10,500 without a problem. Now if I lost my engine it would have been a different story. Anywhere west of Amarillo your rarely within gliding distance of an airport anyway. The time passes pretty quickly even at 100 kts when your navigating with a VFR sectional, a handheld GPS and looking for an place to land should your engine fail. Once you get to FLG you gotter' whooped, then you have Winslow and Grants as alternates before reaching ABQ. I would say the leg from Henderson to Flagstaff was no more risky than the leg from Beatty to Yerington as far as terrain or engine failure. You could always follow I-40 if your concerned about a engine failure.

You had it right the first time... hit up Tonopah down to Beaty... then Vegas, overfly Kingman (IGM) and on down to Prescott (PRC), then go on down to PHX or just shoot straight over to ABQ... I flew for the first 5 years of my career in the Northern Arizona area, so if you go from Henderson, over Kingman, and stop in Prescott, then go straight over to ABQ, you shouldn't have a problem... cruise at 11 and you'll be fine, very scenic flight from PRC - ABQ, takes you over Sedona, the White Mountains in Eastern AZ, etc... have a great flight!

Flown pretty much 9 years in Northern Arizona...I'll second this plan. I've done PRC to points east ranging from SLN, GFK, to OSU in a 150, its not a bad trip at all. If you're really worried about landing spots, just follow I-40 the whole way to AMA. Once you get east of the ridge on the east side of ABQ its flat until you hit the appalachians....which I'm not sure how much you actually see going to ATL...

Got back from this little trip today. Thanks to all for the insights and advice.

Ended up going to Flagstaff and over Albuquerque after Vegas. Would've been great but I was caught in that crappy Wx around there all day yesterday(Monday). After crossing over ABQ I got as far as almost Tuccamcari before forced down in Santa Rosa(you have to call the police dept. to get fuel, no joke). Then was able to get forced down in to Hobbs(yes, the wrong direction to ATL). After a cup of coffee, a few phone calls, lots of WSI weather I was able to get out of Hobbs on a barely VFR in to a much better situation around Winkler(INK) on my way towards Fort Stockton...then I was able to cut the corner to the east. Mostly smooth sailing from there.

Old T-6 did well. Just shy of 16 hours from Carson City, NV to a private strip just south of Newnan, Ga. Would've been less without the weather. Oh, well. I'll get my hearing back someday, too.

Latest resources

Back