Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

svcta

"Kids these days"-AAflyer
Don't know that this is the right place for this question, but seems to be the best option. Here goes.

I've got to take a T-6 from Carson City to Atlanta in a couple of weeks. Can anyone suggest a good route out of the high country? Right now I'm planning a fairly simple route that looks like:

KCXP, Coaldale(OAL), Beatty(BTY), KHND(vegas).

Then down to El Paso by way of:

KHND, Bullhead City, Avi Suquilla(P20), Gila Bend(GBN), Tuscon(TUS), Douglas(DUG), KELP.

Then no sweat to Atlanta. I used to fly cargo around the southwest so I know what I'm dealing with when I get around Gila Bend. I'm really just trying to stay away from seroius mountains as much as possible and these routes seem to stay firmly over the valleys. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Any chance you'd be willing to take a 2nd pilot along? I'll read the map/GPS, do the fueling, etc...

KRNO FMG V105 DRK V257 PXR V16 TOTEC V94 SSO V198 HANCH KELP
Highest MEA 14k
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]KRNO to KELP: TC=126° : MC= 110° : [SIZE=-1]ST. LINE= 798nm : [SIZE=-1]AIRWAY=872nm : [SIZE=-1]Extra=9%[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Last edited:
fly down the owens valley to PMD, then to DAG PRC ABQ once your on the east side of ABQ its flat for the most part. I flew from DAG to AMA at 13500 the whole way not a problem

Thanks for the advice, but that is a bit far out of the way and I think more time over shaky terrain than I would like. The route over to Vegas and down to TUS is suprisingly easy; plenty of valleys and airports. Thanks again, though.

Huggy,
Rear seat is already full, but thanks for the offer!

I've made this trip twice in reverse, Myrtle Beach to Jackson Ca. in far less capable airplanes. The first trip to Jackson Ca. I went up the Armagosa Valley and crossed the mountains at Lake Tahoe. In reverse, Yerington NV - Beatty NV - Henderson NV - Flagstaff AZ - Albuquerque NM - Amarillo TX - Hot Springs AR - Pell City AL - LaGrange GA and so on.

Note; Beatty NV has No Fuel but Death Valley does and it's just a short climb and descent to the west-southwest of Beatty. I don't what your range is in a T-6 but there is practically no fuel south of Tonapah until Death Valley or Henderson. Now, if you wanted to cross the mountains and go south on the California side of the mountains there are plenty of options. I'm told I was lucky on my second trip that the California side was VFR as it's usually IFR with smog or haze.

Good Luck and have fun!

I've got good range in the "G" model. 140 Gal. and a cruise burn of only about 30 gal/hr. Figure 150kt cruise the first leg to Henderson, NV is no sweat. Now, regarding going through Santa Fe or ABQ: I'm not as intrepid as I used to be flying single-engine over things that I can't land on. I'm reasonable about it, but I try to avoid it if I can. If I follow the Colorado River to Havasu and that way I am fairly positive that I'll be over a valley most of the way....and there are more airports that direction, too.

Seems like to terrain between Vegas and Santa Fe/Albuquerque is consistently about 7000' higher than the other way, as well.

What do you think about the stuff between Vegas and ABQ? Is it easier than it looks on the charts/google earth?

Thanks again......keep it coming.

Huggy, Rear seat is already full, but thanks for the offer!

What??!! Listen:... give me a small bat, and I'll Nancy-Kerigan that sonofabiscuit, then, when he can't even climb up the steps, I"LL be flying instead!!! Haaa, hhaaa,hhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You had it right the first time... hit up Tonopah down to Beaty... then Vegas, overfly Kingman (IGM) and on down to Prescott (PRC), then go on down to PHX or just shoot straight over to ABQ... I flew for the first 5 years of my career in the Northern Arizona area, so if you go from Henderson, over Kingman, and stop in Prescott, then go straight over to ABQ, you shouldn't have a problem... cruise at 11 and you'll be fine, very scenic flight from PRC - ABQ, takes you over Sedona, the White Mountains in Eastern AZ, etc... have a great flight!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back