Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Buschpilot

Large Member
I'm hesitant to jump in this pool, but I have a personal curiousity here.

I'm not an expert on the RJ issue, although I try to keep up since the industry is headed in this direction, but I simply don't have the time to dig around - so I ask this question here to those who are knowledgeable on the issue:

ALPA is being sued by the pilots of Comair and ASA (correct me if I'm wrong, please) over the issue of equal representation. What exactly are they suing for? In other words, if the pilots win, what will they walk away with (other than pride)?

On the other hand, if ALPA wins, what will they walk away with?

Thanks in advance for all the professionalism out there.

B

If you are interested in this matter go to www.rjdefense.com. There you will see the RJDC version of the issues, related info and the lawsuit itself.

For obvious reasons, ALPA has not chosen to state its defense in public.

Actually, ALPA has publically stated its defense. They have said the suit is completely without merit, and have indicated that they will soon submit a motion to dismiss.

Not ASA, yet.

So far no one from ASA has officially joined the batch. I hope that we don't. I'd really like to keep my name out of it.

I have been following this "debate" here for quite sometime and I have a few questions since it appears that you are either for this or 100% completely against it....

Why should DAL be "forced" to "limit" or put a cap on the number of routes/flights/planes that "there" commuters fly since it is DAL that "owns" Comair..??- Just curious since it appears to somewhat defy logical reasoning as a whole....

How is what DAL is doing is "wrong"?

I know alot would like for ALPA to loose but folks is this even possible.??-

T H A N K S

3 5 0

FlyDeltasJets said:
Actually, ALPA has publically stated its defense. They have said the suit is completely without merit, and have indicated that they will soon submit a motion to dismiss.

Such a statement is routine and can hardly be viewed as a "defense". It brings to mind a certain grievance that FM was without merit too. ALPA talks as much as Tyson did. We'll see how they do in the ring.

BTW FDJ, ALPA has filed its long awaited motion to dismiss. I don't know the exact date but a hearing will be coming up before too long. Round one begins...... 11 more to go.

Last edited:
surplus1 said:

. ALPA talks as much as Tyson did. We'll see how they do in the ring.

Actually, it seems to me that the vast majority of Tyson-like trash talk has come from the rjdc, in the form of news interviews, press releases, etc.

Hopefully, and in my opinion, probably, they will get a beating like Tyson's!

Glad to hear that things are starting to move.

I don't work for any DCI carriers, but I see so many people pi$$ed off at DALPA because of scope and all this RJDC garbage.

Look... it's rather simple, you pull a B737 off and put a CRJ in its place, and you've taken 10 mainline pilot jobs away. Of course they'll scope you to protect their interests.

But an interesting thing is... the management signed the contract agreeing to the cap. If the management did not want it that way, then they would not have signed it. Am I right?

Finally, here at Island Air, we're a sister company to Aloha Airlines, and we are scoped by our big sister Aloha: We can't fly direct between any of the major Hawaii airports, so you'll never see Island Air fly HNL-OGG direct, we have to stop in Molokai or Lanai. So after 9/11, Aloha pulled out of Maui to Big Island routes, and we "took it over" but had to fly via Lanai or Molokai in order to serve them. Mind you, Aloha wasn't even flying those routes, but yet they were still subject to scope.
The management apparently wanted Aloha ALPA to loosen the scope clause. Aloha pilots wouldn't budge, and guess what... all of Aloha's furloughees are back, and they took a whole bunch of our captains in the process.

Scope the regionals??? HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Less regional equipment flown for peanuts = more higher paying jobs.

The logic of more RJ's = more mainline jobs is a bunch of crap!

FDJ,

Not a DCI pilot, just a former commuter dog...

Don't you think that the "market" will finally decide what type of equipment will be flown on certain routes, and by whom?

Also, why didn't mainline pilots "bitch" about scope, when lots of mainline routes was beeing flown by props (I never heard a DL, UA , AA or US pilot claiming they should fly a Basilia or SAAB at mainline rates)?
Personally, I think I got the answer to that one, it all comes down to "my **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** doesn't stink" syndrome, or the "DBA" syndrome.

Latest resources

Back