Rivals invade Southwest's Airspace

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm sorry... Say that again?
There are slots that can ONLY be used for "RJ's"?

You're saying that the government tells delta that a particular slot can be used for a E-175, but not for an MD80?

Educate me please, prove that one

That is correct. The 44 slots USair got from Delta for DCA were ex Comair slots that went to places like Columbus, OH. The LGA slots were originally Colgan slots to PVD, Elmira, Ithaca, etc. There were some USair mainline slots too that they used 733s to MCO, TPA etc that will now be used by DL mainline. There were some mainline slots that were divested because the Govt forced it after the swap.

Godspeed!

OYSter

I'm sorry... Say that again?
There are slots that can ONLY be used for "RJ's"?

You're saying that the government tells delta that a particular slot can be used for a E-175, but not for an MD80?

Educate me please, prove that one

Wave, this is true, the original intent was originally the slots were for turboprops but as the turboprops were replaced, this happened. Original intent was for a/c that could use shorter runways, guess that got ruined as the airplanes grew! Our Gov. At it's finest!

Later,
KBB

I don't know if I've ever seen a cockier bunch, and they only fly 737s around to places like Cleveland and Omaha.
The OYSter

Then you weren't around in the 80s and 90's when the DAL guys wouldn't even allow other airline crews into "their" hotel vans, not to mention jumpseats! Talk about cocky!

Oh, and DAL was nearly all domestic until the late 80's.

Then you weren't around in the 80s and 90's when the DAL guys wouldn't even allow other airline crews into "their" hotel vans, not to mention jumpseats! Talk about cocky!

Oh, and DAL was nearly all domestic until the late 80's.

80's and 90's? Don't forget 00 and 10's.

OYS is a sad little troll with either little man or BIG WOMAN syndrome. And the reason you don't fly to Omaha or Cleveland or Cincinnati or... is because it's all RJs.:laugh:

I totally believe that competition has made the surviving airlines much better, it has created 1000's more airline pilot jobs than their would have been and MOST important, millions of people have traveled that would not have had a chance to if not for deregulation.

Which is how we got passengers in sweats and flip-flops.

Wave, this is true, the original intent was originally the slots were for turboprops but as the turboprops were replaced, this happened. Original intent was for a/c that could use shorter runways, guess that got ruined as the airplanes grew! Our Gov. At it's finest!

Later,
KBB

That's crazy-
What is the difference to ATC between a E175 and an MD88?
But let me get to the consequences- if delta cannot replace an "RJ" slot with a mainline slot- how can OYS and GL claim they're shrinking RJs? Cinci, ATL, and SLC I guess- but Delta literally cannot shrink it's RJ fleet in NYC without the government's permission? Seriously?
In a place that has slot control because it is so congested, an airline cannot use a LARGER aircraft that would carry more people?
Really?
Or can they use a larger aircraft as long as it's not flown by DALPA?
WTH, this industry....

That's crazy-
But let me get to the consequences- if delta cannot replace an "RJ" slot with a mainline slot- how can OYS and GL claim they're shrinking RJs? Cinci, ATL, and SLC I guess- but Delta literally cannot shrink it's RJ fleet in NYC without the government's permission? Seriously?
In a place that has slot control because it is so congested, an airline cannot use a LARGER aircraft that would carry more people?
Really?
WTH, this industry....

Actually I believe the way it's written, you get 2 (or 3) RJ's for every Slot vs. One mainline A/C. And you wonder why there's a congestion problem!

Later,
KBB

That's crazy-
Really?
WTH, this industry....

Comair will be down to 44 total planes by next year. Pinnacle will probably dump a lot too here shortly, and there is a limit in 70/76 seaters. So, the RJ fleet is shrinking. As far as which planes fly where from LGA, some cities cannot support a mainline plane, like Bangor. There were a couple cities that I saw announced that even I raised an eyebrow, like DFW and IAH nonstop on E170s or CR9s, but I guess some service is better than none, and it mainly is a shot at two big competitors so they can't just set the price. Maybe we ran out of mainline slots at that point.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back