• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rivals invade Southwest's Airspace

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It has worked well for sw for years now.

Wishing for another's failure and actively WORKING towards that failure are not the same thing. SWA has never wished for anything. SWA has earned it's position (for good and bad) on it's own with no help from luck or the bankrupty courts.

Is it just me or is it comical that "up your six" posts an article about "rivals invading Southwest Airspace" with the upcoming issues in ATL.

Since she likes to quote Gary Kelly so often, digest this! When I was a new hire, GK came in and said that He could see us doing all Delta Airlines domestic flying, I laughed it off thinking, we don't even fly to ATL, the Union's Scope (DALPA) would never allow that, etc.

1 year later in recurrent, Mike Van De Ven came in and said they were looking at flying to LGA, MSP, EWR and ATL. I'm thinking I have no desire to go to any of those places!

Now here we are, 5 years later

And before any one questions that it's BS for the CEO, president, VP's would talk openly with the Flight Crews. This happens often here and they do this at "new hire breakfasts", during recurrent training, and hold "round table" events bringing in different work groups. Just one more thing that makes this place different!

Hey "Up your six", you might wanna watch your back!

Later,
KBB

Wishing for another's failure and actively WORKING towards that failure are not the same thing.

Are you serious??? Are you saying your "warrior spirit" includes trying to undermine other carriers but you hope it doesn't hurt them? That it's OK to try and work towards someone else's failure but that is not what you want?

Is it just me or is it comical that "up your six" posts an article about "rivals invading Southwest Airspace" with the upcoming issues in ATL.

Since she likes to quote Gary Kelly so often, digest this! When I was a new hire, GK came in and said that He could see us doing all Delta Airlines domestic flying, I laughed it off thinking, we don't even fly to ATL, the Union's Scope (DALPA) would never allow that, etc.

1 year later in recurrent, Mike Van De Ven came in and said they were looking at flying to LGA, MSP, EWR and ATL. I'm thinking I have no desire to go to any of those places!

Now here we are, 5 years later

And before any one questions that it's BS for the CEO, president, VP's would talk openly with the Flight Crews. This happens often here and they do this at "new hire breakfasts", during recurrent training, and hold "round table" events bringing in different work groups. Just one more thing that makes this place different!

Hey "Up your six", you might wanna watch your back!

Later,
KBB

What does flying in the same city as Delta have to do with "flying all of their passengers"? Do you really think all of Delta's passengers are going to switch to SWA? Any of them? I would'nt be to surprised if some of AT ex pax's will actually opt for DAL
Sounds like "Gary" will say anything to your new hires to instill that "warrior spirit"

Last edited:
It's awful that SW has to compete with bankruptcy instead of other airlines.

It's hilarious when pilots brag about how well their airline is doing with no mention of how their airline screwed investors and dumped debt through bankruptcy. Who couldn't be succesful with that strategy? Oh, and let's not leave out shredding employee contracts and cutting promised pensions, but oh yes ...please continue to tell how well you are doing and how well managed you are.

It's awful that SW has to compete with bankruptcy instead of other airlines.

It's hilarious when pilots brag about how well their airline is doing with no mention of how their airline screwed investors and dumped debt through bankruptcy. Who couldn't be succesful with that strategy? Oh, and let's not leave out shredding employee contracts and cutting promised pensions, but oh yes ...please continue to tell how well you are doing and how well managed you are.

Welcome to America!

Are you serious??? Are you saying your "warrior spirit" includes trying to undermine other carriers but you hope it doesn't hurt them? That it's OK to try and work towards someone else's failure but that is not what you want?

Dan you are so out of touch with the common person. Do you think it is OK for airlines to charge 1000 dollars for a one way ticket, to a destination that is a forth of the mileage of one of there 200 dollars tickets?.

They charge 1000 dollars because they can, ( no competition )

It is you mother ,grandmother, your sister that they are screwing out of getting to go on vacation or seeing loved ones.

Dan you think that only the rich should be able to fly. Get off your high horse old man.

Dan you are so out of touch with the common person. Do you think it is OK for airlines to charge 1000 dollars for a one way ticket, to a destination that is a forth of the mileage of one of there 200 dollars tickets?.

They charge 1000 dollars because they can, ( no competition )

It is you mother ,grandmother, your sister that they are screwing out of getting to go on vacation or seeing loved ones.

Dan you think that only the rich should be able to fly. Get off your high horse old man.

I buy tickets from time to time for my college student daughter to get home or visit relatives. SWA is rarely the cheapest. I did get a SWA ticket for her this weekend to fly from BWI to LAX. I think the prices were competitive, but I knew she would have two bags, paid for the $10 priority check in too!

Funny you should get that impression. My stand is Deregulation has been a good thing. I totally believe that competition has made the surviving airlines much better, it has created 1000's more airline pilot jobs than their would have been and MOST important, millions of people have traveled that would not have had a chance to if not for deregulation.

But Duane Pfennigwerth, an Evercore Partners analyst... He ascribed the Kelly memo to "realistic table-setting in advance of the next round of labor negotiations."

I'm no big fan of "analyst" opinions/advice but I'd agree with this one.

Latest resources

Back