• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Risky Regionals?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Incidents happen weekly within the regionals. Hell, in every sector of the industry for that matter. I am sure you were referencing to accidents and not incidents. Civilian and military agencies view each with a distinct difference.
Here's another site that tracks accidents and incidents. Makes for interesting reading.
http://www.avherald.com/h?list=&opt=0

Yea, accidents not incidents... sorry.

Many pilots never get themselves into such a spot because they are usin good judgement and common sense which goes beyond the AFM, GOM, OPECS, FARS, FAA, and Airline(employer).

Have you ever been in your Metroliner stacked ten deep with three other stacks covering a 100 mile swath. Icing and low vis embedded throughout the area for hundreds of miles. Lemme guess you heard there was reported ice in the area and used your good judgment to divert to an airport a state away just like you always do. Did you bother to listen to the ATC tapes the night this Q400 went down? This is a fairly typical situation that happens all the time. For sequencing and arrivals planes are backed up waiting their turn. Icing was reported all over the area starting more than 100 miles out. Ceilings were low (below 2000 feet). So lemme guess in this scenario you used your good judgement to get the boots on early. Very good! Then you ducked under the icing conditions? Or you immmediately diverted?

Many pilots never get themselves into such a spot because they are using good judgement and common sense which goes beyond the AFM, GOM, OPECS, FARS, FAA, and Airline(employer).

This sounds like some of the crap spewed by some "airline-type training school graduates" I've run across.

To have good judgment and common sense takes experience - which often comes from getting out of such a spot and vowing to your mother and your favorite deity that you'll go to church and never do THAT again.

Have you ever been in your Metroliner stacked ten deep with three other stacks covering a 100 mile swath. Icing and low vis embedded throughout the area for hundreds of miles. Lemme guess you heard there was reported ice in the area and used your good judgment to divert to an airport a state away just like you always do. Did you bother to listen to the ATC tapes the night this Q400 went down? This is a fairly typical situation that happens all the time.

Yeah and it happens a lot to guys in alot less capable aircraft, single pilot, without an autopilot, ice detection, and auto boots. They still make it home... most of the time.

There's already a bunch of data out on the Colgan crash in Buffalo.....it is starting to take shape. Isn't this the same company that sank a 1900 off Massachusetts a few years back? In the flying world they have always been considered a "bottom feeder" would you agree?

My point? When you plan a trip and get an itinerary, there always seems to be a leg on a regional that should be looked into. I know the big guys crash too, but it seems riskier if your trip includes a leg on Colgan, Comair, Go, Mesa etc.....

Does anyone out there actually choose an itinerary so as NOT to fly on one of these airlines?

On second thought, next time you find yourself on one of those planes, grow a pair and introduce yourself.

Try it out on a Piedmont flight. I promise you a free flight lesson if I'm the captain at the time.

Last edited:
Yeah and it happens a lot to guys in alot less capable aircraft, single pilot, without an autopilot, ice detection, and auto boots. They still make it home... most of the time.

"Most of the time" as you say. Im not talking about most of the time. Im guessing hundreds of flights went into NY the night 3407 crashed. I doubt there were alot of scheduled service Cessnas running around in that weather. Yes most of them probably did you use that good judgement you speak of and never flew into or out of the area. However, there were probably hundreds of commercial flights that turned on their boots/ heated wings just after takeoff and flew close to the same circuit as flight 3407. Because they made it, did they use better judgement? Again I submitt that on any given day, any pilot who flys scheduled service can find himself in the shoes of flight 3407. When that does happen and if its a tail stall I would bet money most will in that split second push forward and give full power before they pull back, reduce power and reduce flaps. It seems to me you got it all figured out though Chuck.

On second thought, next time you find yourself on one of those planes, grow a pair and introduce yourself.

Try it out on a Piedmont flight. I promise you a free flight lesson if I'm the captain at the time.

Don't think I will find myself on your plane. Maybe just do a good job instead of trying to show the world that you're Chuck Yeager.......could be the root of many problems.

Your free lesson to the world: add my airline to that list of questionables.

Have you ever been in your Metroliner stacked ten deep with three other stacks covering a 100 mile swath. Icing and low vis embedded throughout the area for hundreds of miles. Lemme guess you heard there was reported ice in the area and used your good judgment to divert to an airport a state away just like you always do. Did you bother to listen to the ATC tapes the night this Q400 went down? This is a fairly typical situation that happens all the time. For sequencing and arrivals planes are backed up waiting their turn. Icing was reported all over the area starting more than 100 miles out. Ceilings were low (below 2000 feet). So lemme guess in this scenario you used your good judgement to get the boots on early. Very good! Then you ducked under the icing conditions? Or you immmediately diverted?

That "good pilots won't get into that position" is really a BS point. A lot of these guys have only flown 141 and blast off the regionals at 300 hours...they have no real flying experience.

The majority of low time FO's I flew with at 9E were good pilots, but unless you have flown a lot of solo hours in a SE piston in WX I think it's easy to take all of the technology for granted which can sometimes lead to complacency.

I commuted in my Lancair for five years between HOU and MEM and to go from a CRJ to a two seat experimental piston in the same day will really make you appreciate a jet.

Utilize the technology that allows you to fly in nasty WX but don't take it for granted and always have an out. A liitle pucker factor is a good thing.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back