• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Risky Regionals?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My old regional gave us a quick and dirty on tail plane stalls and I kept thinking how impossible this would be to pull back during that one time it really was a tail plane stall. Of course the best couse of action is to avoid icing but thats not always an option.
I had a tail stall in the J-31. And I did pull all the way back and add power. This was at 250 agl too. You can tell which one it is by the way the airplane rotates during the stall [seat of the pants]. Rotation from the tail axis is a wing stall. Rotation around the wing axis is a tail stall.

I had a tail stall in the J-31. And I did pull all the way back and add power. This was at 250 agl too. You can tell which one it is by the way the airplane rotates during the stall [seat of the pants]. Rotation from the tail axis is a wing stall. Rotation around the wing axis is a tail stall.

What? :confused: Tail axis rotation? In either stall the plane will rotate at the center of gravity.

Perhaps the FAA or the airline's insurance companies needs to re-examine a need for minimum hour requirements before a pilot is being put on a Part 121 RJ. 400 minimum hours is absolutely ridiculous. People's lives are at stake. Aeronautical decision making (ADM) skills takes time and experience to develop. (no disrespect to those that got hired with such low hours).

I just hope they don't require hand flying in icing conditions, because a lot of these guys can't even handfly VFR, let alone in the clouds.

I just hope they don't require hand flying in icing conditions, because a lot of these guys can't even handfly VFR, let alone in the clouds.

Dash8's have a TCS button that lets you feel the airplane w/o the autopilot interference. Its handy in icing conditions.

The NTSB will spend probably a year and tremendous man-hours and resources examining this accident to find out why.

Yet the FAA is willing to allow anyone to play in a $25 million-dollar jet with 76 paying passengers after 6 months of fooling around at some two-bit Florida flight school.

No disrespect to the crew of the ill-fated flight. This isn't directed at them. But is anyone surprised these things happen?

Anyone?

Seems to me it's smoke and mirrors as usual...

EXACTLY...Would be nice to see ALPA address experience also.....

Yet the FAA is willing to allow anyone to play in a $25 million-dollar jet with 76 paying passengers after 6 months of fooling around at some two-bit Florida flight school.

No disrespect to the crew of the ill-fated flight. This isn't directed at them. But is anyone surprised these things happen?

Anyone?

Not me. Thanks for finally answering my question Oakum_Boy

Latest resources

Back