• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

RIP to the 'Southwest effect'?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you even believe what you write . Complete crazy talk . I hope you write this to try and upset a few .

If not you have some major mental issues .

Yeah, it's "talk". And I'm sure it sounds crazy to you. It is just talk though, I didn't actually DO it.

Bob Crandall wrote an article about 20 years ago called "California Pricing". In it he described how Continental lite or United Shuttle type ops were failed prospects. That a company could show a segment that would be healthy/profitable but that there was no point to it when it would not be sufficient to raise the mortgage on the entire company. (It's different than the East Coast shuttle)

That's kind of like what we have going on in this Country with our profession/industry. There is basically one healthy part [Swa] that is rallied for (or who is dealt cards off the bottom of the deck for IMO) while the rest of US carriers are left to die. It's not healthy for the industry or the Country. It looks good to have one airline doing so well. But the US couldn't run this economy off SWA only. I'm guessing about 25 years from now US airlines will look like US shipping, and our jobs will be gone. I think then we will look back and question the wisdom of deregulation. Or if Harding Lawrence [Braniff] was right and it would ultimately fail. That fork in the road put Braniff out of business and made SWA what it is today.

Doesn't look good?

You mean AA is doing fine.

DAL is doing great.

ULCC's are doing great.

VX is doing fine.

Everybody is doing fine, except UCAL.

Yeah, it's "talk". And I'm sure it sounds crazy to you. It is just talk though, I didn't actually DO it.

Just tell me why UniCal can't make money in this new environment? Everyone is.

http://m.smh.com.au/business/aviati...he-worlds-most-profitable-20140522-38rgs.html

There isn't a single market that UniCal doesn't have an appropriate size aircraft to make money on. SWA has been eliminating markets left and right. With fuel at this cost the 737 can make the most money on these routes. That's how they are approaching it.

Just tell me why UniCal can't make money in this new environment? Everyone is.

http://m.smh.com.au/business/aviati...he-worlds-most-profitable-20140522-38rgs.html

There isn't a single market that UniCal doesn't have an appropriate size aircraft to make money on. SWA has been eliminating markets left and right. With fuel at this cost the 737 can make the most money on these routes. That's how they are approaching it.

Well, solid and cerebral management were not needed after good ole Uncle Sam said no to atsb consideration. That was a green light for corporate raider a-holes to ravage workers and sh!t on a US company that was once a Dow component and a $100+ per share stock. Payback for wanting a pre-deregulation contract (2001) in the SWA era I suppose. UAL is not going to make it. They can't, they never got on track after 911. Never figured it out. smisek is the only CAL element left, and he wasn't real cal to begin with. That's my HO.

So I'm looking to the next thing... Really hoping some of these nice 757s that are being parked get put into service at a new airline. Maybe a HOU operation that matches the SWA international routes? That would be fun!! Hell I'd probably go do that for <$100/hr just to prove a point. Maybe less?! Can't think of anybody I'd rather do that to;)

Well, solid and cerebral management were not needed after good ole Uncle Sam said no to atsb consideration. That was a green light for corporate raider a-holes to ravage workers and sh!t on a US company that was once a Dow component and a $100+ per share stock. Payback for wanting a pre-deregulation contract (2001) in the SWA era I suppose. UAL is not going to make it. They can't, they never got on track after 911. Never figured it out. smisek is the only CAL element left, and he wasn't real cal to begin with. That's my HO.

So I'm looking to the next thing... Really hoping some of these nice 757s that are being parked get put into service at a new airline. Maybe a HOU operation that matches the SWA international routes? That would be fun!! Hell I'd probably go do that for <$100/hr just to prove a point. Maybe less?! Can't think of anybody I'd rather do that to;)

Dude, UAL is not going to make it???? The 3 legacies left are too big to disappear, their flying cannot be picked up by anyone if they shut down. In the past when their was enough excess capacity to cover for EAL, Pan Am etc. when they shutdown, that's simply not the case today. Worst case scenario would be a another trip through bankruptcy court. In which case, because of the fact that there is not enough capacity to cover for their flying, the unions should realize that any paycuts would be to transfer money from the employees to someone else's pocket and do nothing to change survivability.

That said, what really matters........ great Indy 500 today and not a bad Monaco F1 either!

I thought the long standing critique of SWA by pilots was the undercutting of fares in markets.
Now that SWA's been carrying the water on pilot contracts for a decade and have had to raise prices, that's a bad thing ?
Consolidation has led to a healthier more profitable industry. We seem to be breaking load factor records every quarter
That's a good thing for us

These ticket prices don't exist in a void.
I know economics isn't a pilot strong point, but we ought to try and see the big picture

Carrying the water? Um, being the last man standing due to fuel hedging and legacy mismanagement does not mean that SWA pilots were some sort of labor hero.

Congrats on the high pay, but your pay scales are a result of a number of circumstantial events, not SWA pilots' amazing ability to out-negotiate every other pilot group.

That is purely delusional.

Carrying the water? Um, being the last man standing due to fuel hedging and legacy mismanagement does not mean that SWA pilots were some sort of labor hero.

Congrats on the high pay, but your pay scales are a result of a number of circumstantial events, not SWA pilots' amazing ability to out-negotiate every other pilot group.

That is purely delusional.

He's got a good point Wave, SWAPA has had the good fortune of dealing with a management that has been been less adversarial than others and labor has put " culture" ahead of making gains at times (yes it has reaped benefits!) but SWAPA is hardly "carrying the water" for our profession.

Latest resources

Back