• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Retiring NWA Captain Sums It Up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You guys are just jealous cause it isn't YOU retiring. I'll cut the guy some slack and give him the ability to vent a little steam. He's earned it.

Gup

Not quite.

The life expectancy of a male right now is 74 yrs old. I would prefer not to die in 9ish years.

Last edited:
It always surprises me how some pilots get so burned out and hate everything about the job. They need to realize that working with them is not the best experience for the rest of the crew.

If you hate it this much why not resign, take advantage of the freedoms in this country, start a business and make a billion dollars?

:laugh: ......you said it. The grass ain't always greener on the other side.

Yeap... In any case, I'm glad he decided to hang it up. Somewhere, there's an F.O. who will be moving into the left seat and probably be grateful for it.

profession. We made good money, had considerable time off and the benefits were to
brag about.That is no longer the case. My Plumber makes more a year now than I do. His labor rate alone is $95.00/hr when he set my kitchen sink last May and he's a high school drop out. His yearly
salary is based on a 160 hour work month (40 a week) --My $93.00/hr and annual salary is based on an 80 hour month (hard time in the air) which doesn't include all the on duty and time I am away from home.

I'm calling BS. What NWA CA makes $93/hr? A year 7 DC-9 FO makes $93/hr.

Plumbers don't make $95/hour either. That might be the billing rate, it depends on where you live. But they make about half that. I'm not saying they don't make good money, but not $190K/yr., based on 160 hrs a month, 2000 hrs a year. Maybe if you're the owner of a plumbing company, a plumbing contractor. Didn't we all find this out when 'plumber joe' campaigned for McCain?

I'm guessing he's an ex Eastern pilot who was lucky to get hired at NWA even if he never made Captain.
There are a lot more people out there that have made a good life out of a career flying airplanes than the minority who focus on all that's wrong and miss what is good.

93.00 per hr may be after he divides his rate by two to compensate for the fact that most workers work twice the amount of paid hrs in a month.

186.00 would be the rate then. I have always divided my hourly rate by two to see what it equates to for a "real" job.

93.00 per hr may be after he divides his rate by two to compensate for the fact that most workers work twice the amount of paid hrs in a month.

186.00 would be the rate then. I have always divided my hourly rate by two to see what it equates to for a "real" job.

That's accurate if you are crediting 86:40 a month.

A typical 40 hour work week = ~2080 hours a year.

Take Delta for example, with a minimum reserve guarantee of 70 hours. That's only 840 hours a year.

Therefor dividing it by 2.5 is more accurate. If you, like me, don't equate sitting in an airport or Holiday Inn Express to "time off" then you can divide it by our rig, which is 3.5.

So Delta 747/777 CA ($201/flight hour) using a 2.5-3.5 divisor, currently yields between $57-$80 an hour at year 12+. 747/777 FO ($137/flight hour) at year 12 is $39-$57.

This post ( NWA Captain's rant) is several years old.

I believe I first read it about 5-7 years ago (?).

If I'm not mistaken $93.00/hr was about right for DC-9 Captain's pay at NWA during the Bankruptcy which shoved abhorrent rates down the NWA guys throats under threat of an 1113C action.

YKW

Last edited:
Well , The good news is, Today I officially Retire from Northwest Airlines and I was hired last week for a Service Advisor job in the automotive division of Sears

Wow. To all those grumpy pi$$ed off pilots out there......

Please retire or quit. Don't sit here unitl you're 65. I don't need to sit hear and listen about how much you hate your job and company.

Flying for a living has nothing to do with WANTING to be gone from the family, WANTING to eat meals in 30 seconds, WANTING to live in hotels half your life, WANTING to have reduced rest.

Flying is supposed to about doing it because you love it. Because you don't want a 9 to 5 job in a cubical, because you want to see the world, because it's fun, because your passion and your job are one and the same.

If you hate flying, hate your company, hate your life style, then leave. I'm soooo tired of seeing and hearing grumpy pilots. Leave. If money is the only thing you care about, go be a plumber or what ever. There are too many guys out there who would kill to fly for the airlines or have a professional flying job. I don't need to see any of you guys in the flight deck anymore. Leave the flying for the guys who want to be there.

Life is what you make of it, and not what it makes of you. Yeah things get rough, but you always look for the silver lining.

So Delta 747/777 CA ($201/flight hour) using a 2.5-3.5 divisor, currently yields between $57-$80 an hour at year 12+.

747/777 FO ($137/flight hour) at year 12 is $39-$57.

Ok. My friend works for a major aerospace company heading up a system design group for a new aircraft. He works 57 hours per week on average. Last year, in his BEST month, he had 6 days off. Usually he had 4 days off per month. He is at work 10 -12 hours per day every day, and his stress level is commensurate.

He's been an engineer for 15 years. He just got a promotion and a 16% raise. He said "Now I'm in range of making almost $100k" - with 10 to 15 hours of overtime per week!! That would equate to $35.85 per hour. ($95,000 per year / (53 hours * 50 weeks)). That's lower than everything you quoted above!

Yeah, He's home every night! Just enough time to eat, have a few beers, and go to sleep.

Ya' know what? It's a job! Just like flying! Some people like it, some people hate it. But the cool thing is, you don't have to continue doing it! That is why I am not sitting in the cubicle next to my friend any more.

My advice is: If you don't like this job, don't waste any time. Find something you do like and go do it!

Latest resources

Back