• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Retiring NWA Captain Sums It Up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sam told me a story. The young flight instructor is pounding the pattern in a basic trainer. Half watching his student and half thinking of getting a real flying job. Some twin-engine time, a little cross-country IFR. Boy would that be sweet, that would be real flying. Above him at 8,000 feet a freight-dog in a beat-up Beech Baron bounces along. Cursing the turbulence and the heat and the holes in the instrument panel, he thinks about one day getting a turbine job.​
At 18,000 feet the crew of a King Air are droning along on autopilot, enjoying the air-conditioned cockpit. But the noise and vibration of the propellers is annoying, and the turbine-twin will not climb out of all the weather. The lady PIC is close to a jet job, and keeps looking up above the tops of the building cumulus. At flight level 390 dinner is being served to the major airline captain. Life is sweet. But his schedule sucks again next month, stupid recurrent training, and the mustard for the steak is too spicy again. He looks out the windshield as a glint of sunlight catches his eye strangely above the horizon. "It's the space station," says the first officer. "Now that would be sweet."​
Floating over to a window, the astronaut looks down on the colorful blue and green quilt set amongst the void of space. A former fighter and test pilot, the Space Shuttle commander is picking out ground features as he orbits over middle America. "You see those two rivers, just east of the city?" he says. "There is a little airport down there. I first soloed in a Piper Cub right there."​
"Now that is real flying."​

Now, THAT is the coolest things I've read on FlightInfo. GREAT post!

If there ever was a dead horse that needed a routine beating, 65 is it.

Well, I guess if pissing in the wind makes you feel better, go for it.

Well, I guess if pissing in the wind makes you feel better, go for it.

We need to keep the age 70 scavengers off the carcas.

Seriously, if age 65 had not been an option, or if it was the equivilent non improvement to all of us that it is to someone who hasn't been hired yet, what would we all be talking about? The answer to that question is the improvement we ALL need to be pushing for. And IMHO that is fighting the RLA. Please give your opinion Fubijakr: 02' legislation returned full retirement age of 60 back to rail workers. Does that not shock you? Although you might guess I think it should, my argument here is not to change the pilot retirement age back to 60. I'm trying to point out a huge disparity. I would appreciate you thoughts.

You guys are just jealous cause it isn't YOU retiring. I'll cut the guy some slack and give him the ability to vent a little steam. He's earned it.

Gup

I suspect some BS from this guy. Although as a FNW guy he does make some note about our previous 75% SICK PAY bs that the senior FNW guys voted in to save their pensions. Good for him !..... the 2% sales commission plus the $7.50/hour he'll get at sears will suppliment his $11,000/month pension,...plus his Sears Employee Discount!!!Weeeeeeee!!!!! (maybe he can buy a new riding lawnmower for his "hobby farm"!!!

Latest resources

Back