• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Retiring NWA Captain Sums It Up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Remember that we fly businessmen and women in the backs of our overfull jets. They are shucking their crap from one hotel to the next just like us. A lot of the time with more time away from home and less pay.
Disagree with that statement, fine, but I have a father-in-law that has been doing it for 40 years, and he is gone more than I am.

This profession needs to be fixed, but there are worse places to be.

No kidding. My dad travels more than I do and while he usually gets an aisle seat and sometimes upgraded to F, when he gets to his hotel room, he's either on the phone or laptop, working. He's a professional consultant and like most of his masters degreed peers, makes $100K in a good year.

The original post in this thread did have a great point: I can't think of any other industry that has EVER stuck it to the employees so hard!

Just turn the clock back 10 yrs. Any major airline pilot could expect great retirement (even the rampers could back then.) Everyone had great pay and wonderful benefits.

Over the past decade, several major events have really challenged the DNA of the airlines, and the employees have wound up paying the costs in all cases.

It is a shame that mgmt. just can't figure out how to tack $10 to each ticket to keep something like stability available for their "valued team members." I just will never be able to understand why this industry always seems to see the employee (or his/her compensation) as the solution to every problem? Why the hell can't the passengers (who expect and demand a high level of safety/competence) pay a realistic price for what they buy? These people honestly think they should be able to fly a multi-million dollar aircraft across the country safely at nearly the speed of sound-and do so for $59 each way!

-Why is it really so tough to add a little bit to every fare to just maintain a safety net? And why the hell are the employees the only solution to every problem?

Last edited:
Why was a NWA Captain making $93.00/hr?

He was one of the "new math" test classes. His plumber makes more than he did??? I look forward to his posts in a year. We'll see how that Sears job goes!

The grass is always greener...

...I like the way he assumes he is one of the elite, but the "new" breed of airline pilot is an under-achiever. What's your degree in again?

Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on your way out!

Sears Holdings
(includes Kmart)
Broadline retailer
Altman's Z-score: 2.5
Cash on hand: $1.2 billion
Short-term debt: $956.0 million
Long-term debt: $1.5 billion
3,918 total stores
46 underperforming stores closed in fiscal year 2008.

Good riddance bitter old man.

Here is an interesting fact: Our fellow RLA covered workgroup, railroad workers, had an unpleasant reduction in retirement monies forced on them in the 80's. It had the effect of raising their retirement age. Age 60 (with 30 years) was the normal retirement age. The changed rule still allowed for leaving at 60, but with a reduced amount of money. Rail union leaders never gave up on getting full retirement at age 60 (with 30 years) back, and (after a long fight) in 2002 they did!! That's right. The same year the ATSB turned down 7 airlines' loan applications, (including UAL's first) railroaders got their full retirement age back!

My pi$$ed off meter has been full scale since I learned this about two weeks ago. And I hope each of yours is now as well. Our union leaders couldn't be happier with 65 and they'll probably go for 70 sooner than they will challenge the RLA if we don't start jumping their case. Call your union leader right now (especially if it's John Prater) and kindly request they remove their head from their a$$ and fight for our rights. If we're to be covered by the RLA give us the benefits as well. If we don't get upside then release us from the RLA!

Did anybody get my point?

RLA (Railway Labor Act). As airline workers, we are covered by it. At the same instant our government was enabling the dismantling of our profession, they were shoring up rail workers' pay/retirement.

This needs to be topic 1; Our highest priority. The problem with age 65 is: if the age hadn't changed, this issue would be getting the attention it needs.

Last edited:
I found a way to enjoy all of my flying career. Starting with crop dusting, instructing, charter, jet charter, corporate then airlines. Ended up with the choice of all nighters on a B777 or single day trips to Tegucigalpa, Honduras flying a B757. I chose to sacrifice the money to enjoy the last 7 years flying from 11AM to 6PM on that beautiful 2 hr flight over Cuba to TGU. I think I would have become bitter too if I had chosen the bigger paycheck. I doubt if I was even legal for flying at night unless they count sim time. It was fun being a widebody intnl captain and not ever packing a suitcase. Choose your own destiny if you can and life is good. We got to keep our retirement too. Kind of glad United didn't hire me in 66. I would have missed all of that other fun stuff and the retirement money.

No kidding. My dad travels more than I do and while he usually gets an aisle seat and sometimes upgraded to F, when he gets to his hotel room, he's either on the phone or laptop, working. He's a professional consultant and like most of his masters degreed peers, makes $100K in a good year.

.....and when he has a really bad day at work, do 100+ people die?

Latest resources

Back