Retiring F-117??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SIGnificantly Gay,

The only navy you are in sails rubber duckies across the bathtub. Don't get distracted by watching your fart bubbles rise and drop your laptop in the water. Safety First!

Think I'll pitch in on this fight and perhaps get it back on track:

The F117 is a great plane, but expensive to maintain...since they were basically custom made.

The Airbus is an efficient plane to fly (if you want to call it flying) - but not a JOY to fly like a Boeing (I have time in both). You PROGRAM the Airbus (319/320) - you don't really FLY it; the fly-by-wire is like control-wheel steering (not like the F16, which flies like a real plane), and lands like a computer/remote control airplane. Boeing actually builds planes with efficiency AND feel.

If you have no fighter time...please don't try to sell your Eurofighter to me. Kinda like me trying to school you on what flavor of cheese is best. Could go on about beating you in 4vX, BFM, ACM, SEAD, CAS, etc...but you don't have a Eurofighter, nor do you fly it....nor I guess would you know anything about the above mentioned acronyms. Best not to bring up topics of which you aren't trained.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

TheRaven said:
I heard the French only hang weapons on airplanes cause they look better with em----why would France need armed warplanes--what would they use em for?

By the way, I wasn't really surprised that France didn't help us kick Saddam Hussein out of Iraq.....You didn't help us kick the Germans out of France in World War II. Regarding the French, Patton said it best... "I'd rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me"

God I wish you people would take a history class.

Where is he wrong? I know for a fact the French were feeding US intel to Saddam post Gulf War I, during Southern Watch, and OIF.

bozt45 said:
Yes, but there are plenty of aircraft in the inventory that are older and still in service with no plans to retire. F/A-18 and F-16 still in production, EA-6B around for a while yet as examples.

Side note, I never understood why the "F" designation on the F-117.

Because Fighter pilots do not fly bombers.

Heard it on history channel while watching a 2 hour documentary on the wobbly goblin.

Lets see....started with a question about the F-117, and now somehow it has moved into a pissing contest and bashing of Europe.

Way to get bent, guys.

You know guys; we could solve this whole French problem with one division of the Army's finest. They could march on Paris and if history serves as any clue, the "war" would be over in a few hours. Then we could revoke their right to be particularly "French" in the typical manner. This would severely limit our exposure to guys with little johnsons like Fromage. It would also give some of our underutilized National Guard units a chance to hold live fire exercises. We could turn France into a "No Rights" zone for the natives. Make all the women shave all their body hair, free alcohol imported to America, send everyone to "how-to-be-nice" classes, etc. Think about it; the possbilities for plundering, pillaging and general looting are endless. We could sell that stupid painting of the ugly smiling chick (Mona) and replace it with a naked picture of Selma Hayek to make them repay us for lost resources prior to Gulf War II. I think there are some definfite possibilities to us invading and annexing France. I also think the topless beaches on the Riviera are reason enough.

Just a thought.

flydaddy0499

Prior to retire the F-117 the USAF needs an opertional Stealth bomber, the IOC for the F/A-22 is for 2006, I'm not sure if at that time the the F/A-22 also will be capable as a bomber.

Whatever, Maybe that the guys at Groom Lake have readied a new toy for the USAF.

-sorry by my poor english-

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back